Indefinite Late

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by cvarming, Jul 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    infinite.jpg
    Indefinite Late...
    It must be a real pain to travel in India right now.

mrredskin likes this.
  2. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised they had enough "juice" to power the sign - generators, I suppose. Sad situation.

2soonold likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The location where the photo was taken may not have been affected by the outage, but the trains supposed to arrive at or depart from that station might be stuck somewhere.

How much of the India rail network is electrified? And is the signaling infrastructure on a separate grid than the rest of the country?

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well even if the trains run on diesel I'm sure signaling is off the grid, so you wouldn't want the problems of having trains out there without any way controlling traffic.

All I know is I'm glad I'm not out there right now.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the question... Does the signaling use the regular power grid? I'd hope not, especially in a country with a notoriously fickle power grid.

viguera and 2soonold like this.
  6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The answer to your question: unfortunately, at least in some areas the signaling is, apparently, part of the regular grid. This sentence from a news story in the online version of The Hindustan Times: "The official said that the signal system had also blanked at a number of places due to the power failure."

full news story: http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/NewDelhi/When-the-lights-went-out/Article1-904035.aspx

HaveMilesWillTravel and viguera like this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well it only makes sense. You can have some sort of regional power generation or transformers that deal with power from the grid to the signals, but at the end of the day a major failure that cascades through the whole grid will more than likely take all that out.