Incredibly offensive: Southworst will give you miles if TSA delays you-what about THEIR sucky ordeal

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ahappyelite, May 20, 2018.

1. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are taking a Southworst flight prepare for a scrum, scrum, scrum. A giant boarding line, a treasure hunt for a non middle seat, a giant 737 with football fields worth of seats. The obligatory ground delay. Then the excruciating deboarding process. And they have the nerve to obliquely criticize TSA which on its worst day is 1000 times more responsive to America than the shameless cartel. Remember TSA has been working to get better while incredibly the cartel has cashed in on getting worse. Intentionally making passengers uncomfortable has lined the pockets of hedge funds and private equity.
    https://thepointsguy.com/news/2500-southwest-points-tsa-precheck/

2. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Did we not already discuss how Southwest for a very long time has not at all changed their business model in decades — an extremely successful business model that’s made them the largest domestic airline in America?

Tell me what Southwest has done to make things worse?

Fact: The Southwest boarding process is the fastest overall boarding process in the market. You will always find overhead space because Southwest doesn’t charge for checked bags. Like any other airline, someone has to sit in those middle seats. If you don’t want to, you don’t have to while flying southwest.

Oh, and Southwest only has 737s and they have better legroom than most North American carriers

You’re pissing up the wrong tree here, buddy

3. ahappyelite

Status Points:
    Southworst hasn’t changed its model?
    Before becoming a colluding cartelier which has acted in concert with its partner carteliers to carve up the country, Southwest offered LOW FARES and bona fide COMPETITION which meant plenty of unsold seats which made a huge difference to flight time tolerability. Remember $29 fares? So what their frequent flyer program was garbage-rewards to nowhere- while flying on their competitors allowed you to see the world for free with great rewards in Biz Class on partners like Singapore Air and Virgin Upper Class. They were cheap and cheerful. Now they charge hundreds of dollars for hour long flights. If you want to see a gruesome ordeal spend a rainy afternoon at Chicago Midway which is like the Fall of Saigon. And you’ll also notice how their brother carteliers just let them have the whole airport to themselves so they really can take passengers to the cleaners. Once again, rather have an aisle seat on horrific Spirit than a middle on LUV hedge funds and that’s saying something damning indeed. Hard to say they led the way to the bottom but the bottom starts with them.

4. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    The very successful Southwest model, namely the product, has not changed. The no nickel and diming attitude is why people love Southwest, me included. I don't wanna go/can't go? No problem, no penalty. Same day change? Of course, no problem when you're A-List? Got some bags with you? No worries. Cancel your award trip? Absolutely, all the miles back with no penalty.

I remember $29 fares, I also remember when a pack of bacon was $2.99 only 3 years ago. Prices go up for everything, name of the game. Not sure why you think it should be any different for airlines.

I just bought a bunch of tickets for $49, $59 and $79 from my hometown in California in the sale that just ended. That's $24.50 per person when I bring my wife with the Companion Pass. In general, I'm quite pleased with the pricing domestic US.

Their loyalty program is not for everyone. And while the way you earn and burn has changed, it's aimed at the 72% of Americans who don't have passport and no desire to go anywhere else than Florida.

You also have a gripe that Southwest don't have a ton of empty seats open anymore? Wow.. That's... Interesting? If you ran a business, would purchase 1/3 of fresh merchandise and throw it out after you receive it?

It's like saying that it pisses you off that the hottest restaurant in town doesn't have the tables next to you open because you want privacy.

15% of the seats on Southwest is still not sold, which is not the best load factor these days.

Could we have more competition in the US? Absolutely. But I'd knock on the door of the Terrible three before knocking on Southwest. Their customers actually like them.

5. ahappyelite

Status Points:
    Actually mergers and attendant collusion are the secret to their success. 330 million Americans and record numbers of foreign flyers in the US and four terrible carteliers. It’s like being one of two restaurants on an island of 500,000-you can poison people and stay in business-especially if you own the government.
    This is an airline that won’t even put its fares up for comparison.
    You think people like Southwest? The entrance of a Ryanair carrier on their routes would put them in Chapter 11 in 18 months.
    I constantly see fares of $300-400 and more for short haul flights/ they are pigging out.
    If you asked the consumer what she really wants, it would look nothing like what the cartel is forcing on our choiceless nation.
    And there were many more seats before collusion, price fixing and divvying up the country became a science and the norm.