Incredible pictures show EXACTLY why the world's most dangerous airport in Hong Kong was shut down

Discussion in 'Airports' started by sobore, Jul 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ort-Hong-Kong-shut-15-years-ago.html?ITO=1490

With a perilous runway that jut out into the sea, and a descent through skyscrapers and craggy mountains, Kai Tak airport in Hong Kong was seen as the ultimate test of a pilot's skills.
    The airport- which was shut down in 1998- was the site of botched landings that included planes crashing into the water and clipping buildings on their descent.
    These spectacular images show the moment experienced pilots grappled with the notoriously dangerous landing, before the ariport was closed by the government in 1998 for its poor safety record.

Read More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ort-Hong-Kong-shut-15-years-ago.html?ITO=1490

2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a reason why the people on board would clap once the plane landed!!! :D

My first longhaul flight was to HK and I still remember the exhilarating feel of landing at KT airport. Its prob why I get a thrill from flying and love to see the rooftops of buildings as we come for landing. I still like to identify the building I live in in Manhattan when we come in for landing at LGA!

uggboy, jbcarioca and YULtide like this.
  3. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do the same thing!

uggboy, jbcarioca and canucklehead like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some people do it still today after landing, on every single flight. << Nice ritual >> :)

5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe..... but I doubt the pilots (who are presumably being applauded) can hear it with the cockpit door closed!

uggboy likes this.
  6. Au4882

Au4882 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was a horrid article. Great pics though.

And I love how one of the captions mistakenly labels a Concorde as "A Cathay Pacific.":rolleyes: