Incredible 2 will be world phone, VZW

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by chanp, Apr 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    And the world roaming capability is just as equally worthless as existing world phones (except for those on business plans) because there's no affordable global data - especially outside Europe, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.

Overall, I don't expect 4G LTE to have many customers until the holiday sales push. There just aren't enough devices yet and though they will be global at some point it's still a bit off in the distance - not exactly a lot of LTE networks up and running - certainly not in the 220 countries Verizon touts for their current crop of global devices.

3. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did get a good data plan on an O2 prepaid Sim while in Germany last month for 10 euros/unlimited data. I tethered my phone rather then pay the hotel for data for y computer.

4. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    And that's what Verizon's forcing people to do - I suspect even the majority of business travelers aren't going to pay $20.48/MB in data - which is the cost for just about everywhere including if you go over the 70MB alotted on the $100 Europe plan.

I hope better global plans come along sooner rather than later. Without it the point of having a global Verizon device is severely diminished. I can unlock my Verizon phone, sure. But Verizon gets no revenue from my roaming at all. But on the now gone (for almost everyone) $65 unlimited, if they must simply raise the price of that. I'd pay $200 or even $300 possibly for a month of unlimited data abroad. Not thousands. And since Skype on Android works flawlessly on 3G outside the US, phone calls are (or were) equally affordable while abroad.

5. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree roaming data is outrageous. Skype and Google Voice allowed me to keep in contact with everyone for a minimal cost using data. It cost me a lot less then when my daughter was in Czech Republic and Germany roaming on her Sprint (world phone) Blackberry.