Increased Annual Fee for the Chase MR Premier (black card)

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by UADomer08, Jul 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got the notice in the mail that my MR Premier is going from $65 to $85 this year. This puts me in a tough spot since my travel has gone down a bit and the 5 pts per Marriott $ isn't raking in the points like it used to. With that said, the free night at a Cat 1-5 and the 10 status nights still make this card decently valuable. Looks like I have some contemplating and some Reward card hunting to do this weekend.

2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe it is 15 status nights per year for the Premier card, not 10 nights. I think the 10 nights is the VISA Signature version.

3. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's 15 nights plus a free night once a year!
    $65.00 to $85.00 beginning 9/15 pi$$ed me off yesterday when I got the notification.
    I've had it with Chase and I don't need any 15 night gimmick's to keep getting screwed by either of them (Chase and Marriott).

I called Chase last night and told the girl that I was canceling and the answer, "O.K., it's done"!
    No trying to resell or nothing, so screw this black card.

4. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    The perks of the card were 5 points/$ @ Marriott, a 6-month cat-5 free night & 15/night/year. Unfortunately our Cat-5 cert comes during the 6-months we typically don't travel for leisure and when we do travel there often aren't Cat-5 properties, so this was already on the "watch" list.

If Chase/Marriott wants to add value for 30% fee increase they should make the certificate upgradeable where you can pay the point differential to use the cert at Cat-6+ hotels.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  5. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did chase pro-rate any of your annual fee?

6. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. There are too many other cards out there with similar annual fees and much better perks. At least when Chase hosed me on my United Gold card (discontinued and switched to the more expensive Signature) I got some solid extra benefits.

7. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I get my 15 night credits & Cat. 5 free award on my anniversary in early March, but my annual fee bills on May 1. So I shall refuse to pay the $85 by cancelling this card in May this year :) ! Now that I also have the Chase Sapphire, the Marriott Visa is redundant.

8. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    It depends how much Marriott spend you have. Marriott spend is 5x on the Marriott Visa, while travel spend on Sapphire is 2x Ultimate Rewards. Note: UR can be x-fered to Marriott at 1:1, but UR are worth 1.25 cents each when redeemed for flights and cashing out Marriott points (if you're elite) is 0.74 cents a point ($1k/135k)