Incorrect award availability on ua.com/co.com?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Tom, Jan 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Tom
    Original Member

Tom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all -

Has anyone ever experienced the following? A LH award segment in F is shown as available on co.com and ua.com, but the agent on the phone doesn't see it. Also it shows up on ANA, but not on Aeroplan. I have a friend who is trying to book a complex award (Japan via Europe) so he basically needs to do it by phone, but if the agents don't see it, he's stuck right?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a bit surprised that co.com cannot handle it, though it does appear that someone broke the multi-city search pretty good. I'd suggest asking the phone agent if you can book just that segment online and give them the PNR you get from the booking and have them add the additional segments without and fees. That is how one used to be able to trick it reasonably well.

3. Tom
    Original Member

Tom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. That's what I would do, but the friend doesn't have status at the moment (in the process of transitioning from LH Sen status after I ribbed him one too many times about how much our F awards cost relative to theirs). Would the 24 hour cancellation policy help with something like that? Like could he book the one segment and then call to add on everything else?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, the 24 hour policy would apply for him to cancel but technically doesn't apply for changes so I wouldn't do it without them on the phone OK'ing the approach. You could always be a very helpful friend and call in to the elite line on his behalf and get the reservation set up and then have him complete the booking from his account when the time comes.

5. asanders0001

asanders0001 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had this happen to me on a UA award, I was wanting to change the dates for an award I already had booked. CO and UA had it listed online, but the phone agent wouldn't let me change the existing award. I called 2 different times, and got the same response, it isn't available. I ended up booking the new award, and putting it on hold, then called in and they were able to get the existing award switched to the new date.