In what year will cars have a charging plate?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by chanp, Jan 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have this Nokia one for my HTC DNA and love it. (home use)
    http://www.nokia.com/global/products/accessory/dt-900/

In my car, I don't even hook up my phone for calls, music, etc. Only for charging. I hope soon manf's will install a charging plate standard with a adjustable clamps or some sort of device to adjust to different phones.

LIH Prem likes this.
  2. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd love to see a universal standard so we can just have a charging mat wherever we go, including rental cars, hotels, etc.

-David

viguera and chanp like this.
  3. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would great. Seems almost silly to carry cords these days for anything with most connectivity technology.

LIH Prem likes this.
  4. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bombardier is working on it with buses that would charge from a plate in the road at each bus stop:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/busi...olves+induction+technology/7803624/story.html

LIH Prem likes this.
  5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's certainly less convenient, but wired charging is more environmentally friendly. Inductive charging has a higher overhead (waste) than wired charging does.

USB ports everywhere I go will do for me. I only need one or two small cables to allow me to charge what I like.

I can see in a car, for shorter durations, where inductive charging might be convenient but I rarely need to charge in a car unless I'm going to spend hours in it.

LIH Prem and viguera like this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep... this is going to have to be universally adopted like USB.

But it's the chicken and the egg thing... right now there are a ton of cool technologies out there, but only a handful of phones come with it. Until we see critical mass with every phone out there having inductive charging, we won't see product manufacturers start paying attention to it.

It wasn't that long ago that cars didn't come with USB ports, or A2DP Bluetooth support. Nowadays almost every car has it, because manufacturers know that it's a feature that consumers want, since their smartphones support it.

LIH Prem and PhotoJim like this.
  7. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, only for my long trips. Didnt realize they used more energy, but the convenience is great.

8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could actually do it right now -- all you have to do is get a charging plate and get something that will run it off of a cigarette lighter -- possibly a portable PC and USB cable.

One issue is how do you keep everything from bouncing around.

A real problem is a lack of standards on connectors -- all of my gizmos use something different.

DTWBOB

9. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Toyota Avalon will have built-in charging pad using Qi wireless standard. So far, that's the most common standard out there. A few Chinese companies are doing the same, but not always with using Qi.

With more devices becoming available with built-in wireless charging (Hello there, Nexus 4), it will be easier for various manufacturers to justify installing those pads in anything from cars to hotel rooms (some hotels have already done that). The use of one standard is problematic, as Qi is currently limited to ~5W and tablet market needs more than that. Samsung and Broadcom are working together (and separately!) on new standards that are more flexible in usage as well as power levels. If Samsung decides on one approach, I think you'll see it propagating much faster. Of course, if Apple chooses to go with a different standard, expect to see a much slower adoption rate for either charging standard.

10. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will need some sort of adjustable hand on it, like current universal phone docs.