In This Thread: List your SkyKit Request Success Stories

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by FlyMeAway, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Most recent: Was sitting in 1C on a CRJ-200. FA came over PA and said he needed two "volunteers" to move from front four rows to back four rows. One volunteered. Nobody else did. I motioned FA forward:

"If I move, can I have a skykit?"
    "A what?"
    "A skykit, you know, a compensation voucher."
    "We're only supposed to give those out for 'service' issues."
    -- Long pause --
    "Ok, I'll give you one if you move." FA looked a little annoyed. I headed to the back of the plane.

Applause from the entire cabin. Win-win.

FA promptly came by after take-off with voucher. I was exceptionally polite throughout flight. I think he got over it.

Apologies if this thread already exists! I didn't see it.

FrequentlyFlying likes this.
  2. The other thread focuses more on declining compensation, not on particular success stories?

I personally think it's pretty tacky of UA (or SkyWest) to announce this over the PA, in a clear attempt to guilt trip those of us in front to move back. We were all sitting right there. FA could've asked us nicely, instead of telling the entire cabin that "we can't leave the gate until we have two volunteers".

3. FrequentlyFlying
    Original Member

FrequentlyFlying Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never would have thought to ask for one for this... fantastic!

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me neither.

I disagree.

I've moved for W&B many times. I don't expect to be compensated for such. Holding the plane hostage in exchange for the brief inconvenience is ridiculous IMO.

5. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was sitting in Y on a 747 not too long ago and two people got into an argument over a spilled drink. I talked the irate passenger down from a bit of a tizzy and helped the F/A clean up the mess. Unsolicited, she came back with a bunch of skykits and said, "I'm sure you know what to do with these". :D

Jslo, Ygor, Flyer1976 and 2 others like this.
  6. To be fair, if the FA had said "no, not for this" -- I would've moved anyway. I don't think I was holding the plane hostage, I think I was negotiating smartly. The FA failed to call my bluff -- or even recognize it as such.

7. Hostage: a person given or held as security for the fulfillment of certain conditions or terms, promises, etc., by another

Sounds like a fare assessment of the situation.

Bad form on the flight attendant. She shouldn't have to "call your bluff" only to request you to move. She was trying to be nice by asking those who had no problem instead of dictating. You used this as an opportunity to show your greed.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I try to do the nice thing first and see if I can be rewarded, not express greed and see what happens. Makes for a much happier me. YMMV.

9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems to me that it's the airline's problem if there's a W&B issue. Maybe they should limit the number of seats available up front until they have enough people sitting in the back. Some compensation seems reasonable if you booked a seat, fair and square, and are asked to give it up for a less desirable one. A skykit may be excessive, but a $50 voucher or a few drink coupons sounds reasonable to me.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I find that being nice to the FAs often results in a free drink or two, even if I don't do something like moving for W&B.

W&B isn't something that can really be planned for in advance like that. It depends on the passenger load but also on fuel and baggage which will necessarily vary form flight to flight.

And suggesting that you are due anything for a seat change required for operational reasons - remember that they're doing this to make sure the plane actually takes off, not just to annoy you - represents an unhealthy sense of entitlement IMO. You sit there for a few minutes and then once at cruise you go back to your regular seat. It isn't like they're strapping you down in the lav or something.

avflyer and tom911 like this.
  11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't mention it. I only mean that the airline should offer it as a standard policy. Just like VDB compensation. We need something, here is what we will offer in order to get some volunteers. If there are no volunteers, we will make our decision unilaterally.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If they have to bribe you with something then you aren't really volunteering. If they choose to reward volunteers after the fact that's a different story.

The "policy" is that the plane cannot leave until W&B is fixed and there are only so many people in the seats that can move. Some of them have to be mature adults and do it.

13. hobo13
    Original Member

hobo13 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought only mainline had Skykits on board?

14. GFowler
    Original Member

GFowler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have received a PAOA (Skykit) card on a UX flight.

15. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Save the apology for the ridiculous request you made.

It's ill-advised and requests like this that is why legitimate compensation is being watered down dramatically.

And you were self-absorbed enough to post it on a board where United can see this kind of shenanigans going on.

It's probably too late now since this was posted over two months ago, but I hope that somehow UA tracks this SkyKit down and flags your account.