In order to protect our guests and associates, no outside food & bev

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by estnet, Jul 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    "In order to protect our guests and associates, no outside food and beverages are allowed"

The above is the stated "food and beverage policy" of a hotel. I've never seen anything like this before and cannot imagine how prohibiting outside food protects anyone (except their revenue - which is neither a guest nor an associate)
    What do you think?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Allowed where... In the room? Can't bring my own water bottle?

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    What property?
    Was this intended to cover bringing food in-room?

4. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The first (and last) time I encountered a policy like this was at the InterContinental in Istanbul, Turkey, back in 2008. It was their stated policy (IIRC, there was even a sign posted), but they didn't seem to try very hard to enforce it. They "searched" all guests on entering, but foreigners seemed to get a pass.

I'm not sure how any hotel (in the U.S.) could enforce such a policy. But I'm also curious: What hotel is trying this?

5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Westin Grand Cayman

SC Flier likes this.
  6. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not a new policy at this hotel. It's been in place for a number of years. Enforcement varies, from what I understand. I used to chalk this strict policy up to their owners who also are the ones responsible for it having "Limited Participation" with SPG due to their very long cancellation deadlines. I was hoping that these problems would go away since this hotel recently changed hands.

On their Announcements page:
    Outside Food & Beverage Policy
    In order to protect our guests and associates, no outside food & beverage is allowed to be brought into the resort.​

A couple other Starwood properties have similar policies, though they don't try to justify it as a means to protect guests:
    Sheraton Dammam Hotel & Towers, Saudi Arabia​
    Sheraton Sharm Hotel, Resort, Villas & Spa, Egypt​

There used to be a Starwood resort in Turkey that prohibited outside food & beverage. This is common among the resorts in that area mainly due to the way many of those hotels have been marketed in cheap air & hotel travel packages.

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    In order to protect our profits guests and associates, no outside food & beverages are allowed. :eek:

mht_flyer, estnet and SC Flier like this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember once seeing signs like this (but no mention of health or security concerns) plastered all over an otherwise nicelooking (most likely four star) resort on a Greek or Turkish island, perhaps Kos. The signs threatened people that if caught, they would be charged the on-site prices, for instance from the room service menu or from the convenience store next to the lobby.

estnet likes this.
  9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    ;):)

10. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well at least they were being honest that it was a profit motive :) It would be enough, though, to make me leave - it you want to be an all-inclusive resort charge the room and board rate to everyone! That seems a little more honest (altho the other way does allow you to go off site to eat, I guess I just don't think anyone should care whether I bring a bag of chips or bottle of water of my own)

11. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    When looking to book rooms near Akumal, Mexico recently I noticed this to be the case with some hotels. I found it odd and avoided them since I was able find something without the restriction.

12. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, you'd be surprised. There was a notorious case a few years ago of a family held hostage in a La Quinta by a pepperoni pizza, not to mention a number of incidents of vandalism in Canada by a bowl of poutine from a local diner. I myself was once chased through the halls of the Intercontinental in Cancun by a rampaging gang of tacos dorado.

13. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    The IC Cancun's food truck wars were an unfortunate result of bad politics, and Iron Chef: Battle Poutine was at Kitchen Stadium -- not at a hotel. The standoff at La Quinta was a clash of cultures and an isolated incident; it was foolish of that French Canadian family to order an Italian pizza to a Spanish-named hotel.

The situation in Grand Cayman is entirely different. I'd bet that nearly every worker at that Westin has spent some time in Hell.

14. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Westin Grand Cayman back in November and remember bringing food back to my room. I wasn't even being covert about it. Even though it may be the stated policy, it is definitely not enforced. I didn't even realize the hotel had this policy when I was there.

estnet likes this.
  15. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did the Tacos Dorado(s) chase you into the Bath/??????

16. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    :):)
    What I found esp. interesting about the hotel was they mentioned this food policy but NOT A WORD about ? major construction/renovation noise that I see mentioned in recent reviews and stated plans (again in reviews but not on their site) to start major renovations in Sept. - which is when I was thinking of going.

17. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is good to know b/c I certainly would not stay at a hotel that put me through an airport like "security check" each time I entered the hotel!