In need of 12K MQM by the end of the year...

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by chaz4449, Jun 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've already flown and have one more trip on DL that will give me around 38K MQM as of August. By that time, I'll have used the majority of my vacation time from work preventing any other extended trips. I've lurked here for a while and have never really considered traveling for a MR (all of my travel has been business or pleasure). I'm actually considering trying to do some MR like activity so that I can move up to GM. The bulk of my miles come from TATL J and domestic F (work related), so I've gotten a little spoiled :). My main motive in wanting GM is in case of the unfortunately likely event of flying in Y that I will not be without SkyPriority! (I usually fly out of MSP which has a worthless Silver Medallion check in and increasingly slower security lines.) Any suggestions for the most painless and hopefully least expensive way to do this? (I already have the DL AMEX- I was stupid and got the Gold one and they won't let me change it til I've had it a year!) Would status matching the AA platinum status be a viable option (I've moved from AA territory to DL territory and really don't plan on using AA much anymore.)

deltagoldLass likes this.
  2. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw a link that would let you upgrade your card to a delta reserve with conditions. Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Delta SkyMiles Credit Card account within the last 90 days. So if it's been over 90 days upgrade to the reserve get your 10k MQM and spend to obtain the rest. Maybe, when upgrading they may not do a hard pull on your credit report.

chaz4449 likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL only offers status challenges now, not matches.

How about doing a mini vacation over a long weekend or holiday period? An easy and fun one would be MSP-NRT, roughly 12,000 miles RT on the nonstop. Tokyo at Thanksgiving is nice! Or spend some long weekends in southern California, roughly 3,000 miles per RT, with a redeye return possible from LAX. Check exactly how many miles you need and how many you will earn before doing this as the difference between LAX and SFO could ultimately matter to you.

chaz4449 likes this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have a few different options. First of all, what do you value about Gold? You mentioned Sky Priority but focused on security/checkin at MSP. For that specific benefit, there is a non-status way to get that, at least for now. if you sign up for Global Entry and enter your trusted traveller number into DL's website, then you are eligible for the TSA Precheck program. At MSP the precheck entry is located behind sky priority, so you would also get access to the sky priority area, in addition to participating in the outstanding precheck program. My non-status wife gets priority security and checkin at MSP via this mechanism. You already have sufficient priority boarding as a silver, so at MSP at least you'd be mostly set for security and boarding. If you're not checking bags, the skyway checkpoint can be a good option as well. The right Amex card(s) would get you various amounts of lounge access, if that is important to you.

What GM gives over FO that you won't get elsewhere:
    Upgrade priority
    Mileage earning bonus
    free same day changes
    free domestic EC
    some fee waivers
    upgrades on domestic awards
    ElitePlus (international lounge access, priority baggage, etc.)
    Business/First checkin, priority security everywhere, etc. (sky priority)

GM is a significant and very worthwhile increase in benefits over FO, but if all you want is priority checkin/security at MSP, then entering Precheck via Global Entry is a cheaper/easier option (but one that is of course subject to change at any time). Also, rolling over the 13k and qualifying early next year could be an option, depending on anticipated travel plans.

chaz4449 likes this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much is your annual cc spend?

6. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where did you find the link w/ the conditions?

7. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'll have to look into that. I have thought about the rollover. I'm going to Hawaii for business in F in January which will get me around 14 K MQM's...

8. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would guess around $40-50K. That's painful now that I think about it :(!

NYBanker and (deleted member) like this.
  9. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    chaz4449 likes this.
  10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    indeed...when you look over the course of the year, numbers have a bad habit of adding up!

I use the reserve card as an important part of my spend strategy. $30k annual spend gets you a 15k MQM bonus, and the next $30k gets you another 15k MQMs. Plus, I've made pretty good use of the 2-for-1 vouchers. Details here:

http://www.sitinfirst.com/2011/10/amex-delta-reserve-card-just-right-for-certain-customers/

11. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    @chaz4449 let me know if they pull your credit for the upgrade, I'm leaning towards no, but not 100% sure. Also, let us know if the upgrade works from Gold.

12. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    2 weekend trips in November- JFK-IST through AMS would get you that+spare.
    1 weekend trip JFK-AMS-JNB would do the same

13. zornoff

zornoff Active Member

Status Points:
    Just get the Delta Reserve Business Card. I got the personal Reserve then 2 months later got the business Platinum through a targeted offer. Got 20K MQM's between the two cards. In November I plan to get the Business Reserve to net another 10 MQM's. So 30K MQM's in one year with 3 cards.