In-flight Wi-Fi spreading rapidly, but usage faces challenges

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by uggboy, Jun 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || In-flight Wi-Fi spreading rapidly, but usage faces challenges ||

It really depends on the user, the offering and how important internet in the air really is, or when it's needed.

KENNECTED and sobore like this.
  2. aadur

aadur Member

Status Points:
    GoGo is expensive and slow!!! Moreover even in first class it is not complimentary. This is ridiculous! How do they expect to be successful at the slow speeds and high prices they charge? They need to revise their product positioning in terms of speed versus fees to be successful

uggboy likes this.
  3. 1kenthomas

1kenthomas Member

Status Points:
    I've been fine with Gogo-- on 25K or so of flights this year. Slow? Keep seeing people using it for NetFlix even though that's not supposed to be possible. They need to bandwidth shape-- a large download can kill the connection for everyone. But otherwise, it's faster than Boingo in most airports!
    Price? I'd pay much more because I need it to keep up with work, but the monthy pass seems a deal to me if you want connectivity at 30K. You expect it to be $5/mo?!? The infrastructure has to be paid for.
    I've seen reports of problems on the West Coast corridor on FlyerTalk, and that may be the case-- lots of techies!-- but is a problem to be expected, and hopefully addressed. I therefore remain skeptical of much of the whining I see.
    Complementary in First? That would be nice, but the cost is less than the drinks I see many people downing. Big deal, as most of us in First are probably expensing it in any case and/or getting a tax deduction. I'd rather have empower ports universally!
    When does Delta deploy on international routes, that's what I care about-- I'm delaying travel until I know!

Seat6A and uggboy like this.
  4. UncleBob

UncleBob Active Member

Status Points:
    I use Gogo for Email when flying, about twice a month. With Delta having it on more flights, using a 24 hr pass makes sense for my use. I do suggest:
    1. Limiting bandwidth speed to avoid one "hog" shutting down the service for others on the plan.
    2. Charging a premium for higher speed when technically feasible.
    3. Offering a one month fee, by the month. I fly at least 120 legs on Delta per year, but the inconsistency of when I fly makes the yearly fee a non-starter.
    4. Offer connection on the ground and taxiway (when possible) for the same price. For many of us that would make the 30 min on board prior to takeoff a time to be able to work without having to use another connection methodology as we have to do now.
    /UncleBob

uggboy likes this.
  5. Radio Mark

Radio Mark Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. It's not consistent in the quality of the connections.

2. It's too expensive.

3. How about an annual pass for a reasonable amount? I'd pay $99-199 for a year.

vickers, Seat6A and uggboy like this.
  6. Camino Cielo

Camino Cielo Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the first place, it's been one of the greatest vexations in the airline industry just to get this up and running. Look across the airlines and nearly every one has seemingly delayed and delayed, and/or botched the start-up. That said, as already reflected in this thread, there isn't one wifi per se.

And, that said, wifis on planes are going through the same growing pains as the hotel and airline club rooms are. Make that all shared-wifi hotspots. The (paradoxically) big setback came a couple of years ago with the advent of streaming content feeds. The exponential growth in content demanded by streaming knocked many delivery systems to their knees. Fine for your home one- or two-user modem. But not where several users can slow it to a crawl, make it wobbly, or even knock users off. You experienced this in your hotel, or airline club room, or Starbucks.

The infrastructure needs to catch up. Finally, that said, is that possible? The question hangs out there because the generators will always amp up their content to stay at - or exceed - the frontier. Anyone who has watched their favorite websites evolve over time knows this. Think of weather.com, for example. And it doesn't even have to be the desired content, when, the moment one goes "bare" to a website without Adblock or Chrome Incognito, one's getting a content-rich commercial. (Not hyping Adblock or Chrome Incognito here!) Unlike the "air waves", wifi is fundamentally zero sum. It's meant to be.

uggboy likes this.
  7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The total bandwidth on a GoGo flight is a quite limited. Frankly, I don't think they want to charge a more reasonable price because that would encourage more people to use it and thus decrease the individual experience. Keep the price high and people who really want it will cough up (or expense) the money plus receive a somewhat less poor experience.

8. 1kenthomas

1kenthomas Member

Status Points:
    I choose flights based on WiFi availability. Frequently that's an opportunity to bill $150-300USD in flight.

Old SFLAN guy here-- also second (first senior) programmer for SurfAndSip, the first cafe hotspot company. I can't believe they don't know how to throttle bandwidth on the devices!

What am I saying? They contacted me for their mobile implementation. Don't remember if I signed an NDA, but... yeah, they need to step up.

Possibly feasible, see above. They'd need to improve their technology.

I'm paying $40/month and can turn it on and off. You? :)

On DAL, I've found that Gogo is available all the way down and as long as you're in range of the plane, for about the past 3-4 weeks. YMMV.

uggboy likes this.
  9. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wi-Fi should be a perk for frequent flyers. It should work the same way Wi-Fi works at the various hotel chains. If you are a frequent flyer you should either get a comp or get it at a reduced cost.

uggboy likes this.
  10. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    are you trying to increase your post count? 3 separate replies of one line without much content:oops:

uggboy likes this.
  11. gunnerfive

gunnerfive Active Member

Status Points:
    The service Lufthansa provide TransAtlantic is great for email, facebook and Twitter. I was able to post pics to Facebook without a problem. Perhaps satellite is the way to go?

uggboy likes this.
  12. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't seem to be a valid member anymore. No great loss to MP, apparently.

uggboy likes this.
  13. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never tried it but good to know - it just seems weird to charge 10k for a first class seat and then nickel and dime for the wifi (if I drink 1 less glass of champagne could I have the internet for free?;))

uggboy likes this.
  14. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    on a long flight, it might be worth a try. However without in-seat power outlets, not really worth it.

15. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just get the new Macbook Air w/ 12 hour battery life :)

theBOAT

pyndasky likes this.
  16. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with them haveing a $150 annual pass, or tiered access. i use gogo often when flying and soemtimes opt for the 738 on AA just for access instead of the 763 I prefer for the seats.

17. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed. Their annual pass is way too expensive.....

18. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    You taken 25,000 flights this year??

I think there needs to be pricing tiers. I never use gogo, as I travel for leisure, so i program my own entertainment on my tablet. On several flights I've been on this year I've heard people near me complain about connection and speed. a couple to times I've been on flights were the system malfuctioned or went down.

19. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    gogo does fine for me even when i need to access online systems that can be slow.