In-Flight Thieves Targeting Airline Travelers’ Carry-On Bags

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, May 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/05/19/thieves-targeting-airline-travelers-carry-on-bags/

Thieves have a new target when you’re flying and your valuables could be in jeopardy when they’re just a few feet from your seat on the plane.

Imagine opening the overhead bin on your flight and finding your carry-on bag is gone.
    It happened to Laura Bevis when she was returning from overseas with her family.
    “I had instant panic and anxiety,” she said. “I always put my jewelry in my carry-on, and, most importantly, our passports.”

In-flight theft is the new reality when it comes to air travel, according to George Hobica of airfarewatchdog.com.

“It’s easy pickings,” he said.

Travel experts such as Hobica say theft on planes is a growing problem, with bags getting swiped, valuables stolen and pockets picked. Jewelry, money and medications are often the sought-after prizes, Hobica said.

Read More: http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/05/19/thieves-targeting-airline-travelers-carry-on-bags/

CrankyScott likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What exactly makes George Hobica an expert in in-flight theft? Perhaps in addition to airfarewatchdog does he also runs carry-on watchdog? I see no evidence offered that on-board theft is on the rise. No crime statistics, no quote from law enforcement.

Gargoyle, zphelj, kyunbit and 2 others like this.
  3. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    New idea for Hollywood...thieves on a plane! On a serious net, what happens if someone does infact swipe your passport. Are you denied entry or held until identity can be established?

edekba and uggboy like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Unless it's your home country, I would bet on you being denied entry.

edekba, ab3i and YULtide like this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strange I never put my bags in a overhead bin out of eye-shot so there is no chance another pax could take it our even open it without my knowledge.

This story does have one minor potential upside it may make those clowns who think its OK to put their bags in the F bins as they saunter down to row 30, think twice .. or maybe not.:)

flyforawg, gregm, sobore and 3 others like this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about long-haul flights? Do you never sleep onboard?

edekba likes this.
  7. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    F pax are not thieves. ;)

YULtide likes this.
  8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's not what I am saying. (not sure how you even arrived at that conclusion) to make point perfectly clear.
    I wanted to imply was that if this becomes common knowledge then ALL PAX will put the bags in bins they are
    better able to keep an eye on them.

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most long-haul are taken with my wife. She rarely sleeps ( well unless Trans Pacific:))

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Neither was I......theft can happen either in F or coach.

edekba likes this.
  11. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    How does nobody notice them coming and grabbing them? People must be putting their bags nowhere near their seats.

newbluesea likes this.
  12. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could this be a case of someone just grabbing the wrong bag -- it happens which is why I put some odd ball, trade show give away key rings on the luggage pull tabs.

More "accurate" reporting.

Bob H

13. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense. I am assuming if its not your home country they will put you in a 'holding area' until someone from your embassy or consulate can show up to help, shouldn't be too different in your home country also if you are coming from an international flight sans passport and documentation, you're probably going to be held until they can verify your identity and call the police and/or feds to register the theft.
    has the makings of a very bad hollywood movie, a bad cross between terminal and flight plan :)

14. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just put the MP Tags on it =)

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I hope I'll never be in that situation, but frankly I wouldn't count on them calling the consulate or embassy for help. I would expect to find myself on the next flight back to my departure point.

The story ends with

"Bevis said she spotted a fellow traveler carrying her bag.
    She was able to get her stuff back, but it taught her a tough lesson on how to travel."

No word that the "fellow traveler" was arrested for theft. I'd file this story under "N" for nonsense.

16. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    It always bothers me when they take up F space especially if I end up boarding a little late and there isn't room. And seldom do the FAs enforce 'Luggage in the overhead above YOUR seat'.

17. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is why 757s with 2L boarding and Widebodies with 2L boarding are so great.

gregm and Betty Boop like this.
  18. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some would say the F pax are very skilled thieves indeed :)
    +2 for this one. Given the mind numbing number of carry on bags that fly every day just how big a problem is this? Do more passports and jewels get lost in the seats? Who can say? Without stats this reporting is just sensationalism.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  19. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is old news. Which is why experienced travelers always try to keep their carryon in an overhead bin close to their seat, lock it, and keep the REALLY valuable stuff (wallets and passports) on their person.

uggboy and Gargoyle like this.
  20. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not only do I keep my carry-ons close, but I have a system! If it's a 757 or single aisle narrow body, I place them across from where I'm sitting so I can see if someone "disturbs" them. (I've had an iPad cracked by a coach passenger shoving his roll-aboard in next to my backpack, on a 757 with the 2L door. They should have never let him come up front!!) On wide body, or flights with lay flat seats, I place them directly above me. The ratio of passengers to carry ons is much better in business class/FC, so no one else should be going into the bin directly above me. If I am carrying my passport and/or a large wad of cash, I keep them in my front pants pocket.