In Flight Etiquette RE: Taking Shoes Off

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Derek, Apr 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Derek
    Original Member

Derek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think not OK, but everyone around me seems to think differently. Am I wrong/missing something? I get that the pretty girl in high heels is in pain, and needs to take them off. No problem with that. But if I'm going to suffer through a 6+ hour flight with my sneakers on, I would prefer that the larger gentleman in a suit next to me wait until he lands to let his feet "breathe."

NoSully, East_Yorker, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  2. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ladies yes, men no ;)

3. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this works, if not sorry guys :) It may be a different story if you have been working all day and a chasing a flight home with no time for niceties. I am a pleasure traveller only.

For a long haul flight I will usually be flying business. About an hour before boarding, I will hit the lounge showers and change into something clean and suitable for the flight. As soon as practical in flight, I will get my socks off and put them inside my shoes and then put on those provided by the airline (SQ). The change back happens at the time that I am advised that there is no more use of electronic devices.

The flight from Singapore to Australia is around 8 hours. I would think anything over a 3 hour flight would be worth getting those shoes off. Feet cooking away inside the leather may just be creating some foul smelling leakage of their own. :)

And if you are wondering about the change of clothes, I use eagle creek folders so a pair of pants, shirt, socks and underwear are reduced down to next to nothing in my carry-on bag.

I can also recommend the use of a good 48hr deodorant, I use this one, if you are going to use something anyway why not go all the way and get something that will last the flight :) Also a great size for carry-on.

garnierMineralDeod.gif

DonV.Smith likes this.
  4. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    My feet are clean. I will keep my socks on, but will not put my feet on the bulkhead. My shoes will come off as soon as possible. My feet tend to swell a bit during most of the 6-16 hour flights I regularly take, and couldn't stand to have my shoe on the whole time. I tend to sit in biz or intl FC, so usually not a problem, whatsoever.

HiIslands, Cholula and savydog like this.
  5. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shoes off - yes. Absolutely. Couldn't imagine doing a transpac with my shoes on.

However, socks must stay on, and they must be clean and odourless at the beginning of the flight. I always take a spare pair of socks for this purpose, if I'm not in J.

6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anything over three hours and my feet usually start to swell at higher altitude. I would never take off my socks, but I think taking off one's shoes is fine as long as you leave your feet on the ground, are wearing clean socks, and haven't been running around that day. I dunno, my feet don't get that sweaty and/or smelly, but this is one case where the rules apply depending on the passenger's own unfortunate body type.

Athletic shoes are probably the only case where there is enough give that you don't feel the pressure to take them off, so I don't think it's fair to complain about others if that's all you wear. Most other shoes are not as flexible.

savydog likes this.
  7. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    shoes come off, but socks stay on---and i usually take a clean pair of hiking socks (or something else heavy and covering my ankles) and slip them on over my other socks. Keeps my feet warm and my socks clean.
    But the shoes stay on until we're up in the air and come back on before descent. I started doing that after being seated next to a pilot, who reminded me I'd rather have my shoes on if I had to evacuate the plane and run on the tarmac during a take off "problem."

Lalala, Derek and savydog like this.
  8. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I rarely take off my shoes. I may untie my shoe strings. I never take off my shoes and if my seat mate takes his/hers off an their feet smell, I tell them put their shoes back on and explain why I asked.

One thing I really hate is when you're in the bulkhead seat in FC on a 737 and a person puts their feet up against the wall. I think that is so unsanitary.

East_Yorker and Derek like this.
  9. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shoes come off on anything over about 4 hours and socks stay on. My socks are always clean but just in case, I have an extra set in my purse. Transatlantic while trying to sleep with shoes on is no fun.

East_Yorker, Derek and savydog like this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I started being more careful about having my shoes on for takeoffs and landings after hearing a story about some SQ FAs who supposedly would have survived a crash if they hadn't been wearing the slippers/sandals that are part of their (female) uniforms. Now they wear closed black shoes for takeoffs and landings and discourage passengers from wearing slippers at these times.

11. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I may be in minority -- shoes off on all coach flights regardless of length (except COS-DEN). Socks are always clean though I have noticed on one occasion when i decided to leave shoes on ... had a hole in the toe of one sock (embarrassed!). Now, having said this, I need to expose my peculiarity: I leave my shoes on at all times when snagging an upgrade. For whatever reason (I don't have an answer to this) I leave my shoes on in first class.
    Now, I do fly a lot with my Nikes on and as such, I always immediately take them off when getting to my seat so they can air out as necessary as other passengers are boarding. Never had anyone complain with thousands of flights this way so assume my socked feet pass the gym smell test—as in, they don't smell.
    So, color me in the minority, but if you and I are on the same flight, less an upgrade, I'll have my socks in full view of you.

12. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is also my practice for the same reasons.

East_Yorker, savydog and vbroucek like this.
  13. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Over 500 miles the shoes are coming off from 10k to 10k. I have been surprised by odor once, after a go go day prior to a redeye. My shoes immediately went back on at that point. Fresh socks are applied shortly before boarding longer flights since.

East_Yorker and savydog like this.
  14. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shoes off, socks on on flights more than an hour. My feet swell up and it gets uncomfortable otherwise.

East_Yorker and savydog like this.
  15. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    All I know is people get used to their own odors and some do not realise the stank anymore emanating from themselves...note, I do use the word some......but it happens.

East_Yorker, Derek and savydog like this.
  16. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shoes off, change into airplane socks as soon as practicable. Prior to landing, airplane socks removed, and my own clean-ish socks and shoes on. Shorter haul, shoes off pretty quickly. They go on when I have to get up. My feet swell in flight and usually hurt, even on a "good day."

East_Yorker, Derek, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  17. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also always keep my shoes on for takeoff and landings. But up in the air, I swap my shoes for my comfy, thick travel socks.

18. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll slip my shoes off during the flight, but they go back on if I need to go any further beyond my seat to get something out of the OHB. I'll never understand people that go into the lav sans shoes! :eek:

East_Yorker, Chimpy and savydog like this.
  19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wear heavy socks (for airport security, I don't want to walk through in bare feet or even thin socks, :eek:) and slippers with a plastic layer in the soles on long flights. I feel comfortable walking to the lavatory this way, but I turn around if I notice that the floor is wet.

I also try to notice when a FA has broken a glass in the galley and then wear shoes throughout the cabin except in my seat. It's easy for glass shards and slivers to make their way down the aisles.

20. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    As long as my feet aren't stinky, I'll take my shoes off on longer flights (anything longer than a domestic flight). I used to hate the feeling before landing of putting my shoes back on my swollen feet, but it's just too uncomfortable to wear shoes for a long flight. Tight shoes also can accelerate cold feet either on long flights or even cold weather camping.

The only thing that grosses me out is if I need to use the lavatory. I hate walking in them in just socks. *shudder* :eek:

East_Yorker, N965VJ and savydog like this.
  21. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would they give you those socks in F class if they don't expect you to use them :p. Kidding aside, I almost always take my shoes off the second I sit down (clean socks, of course).

22. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    +3 hours = Shoes off, it is worth the PITA getting them back on again. Like another poster says, I use the electronics rule. The only come off after the "ding" and go back on before the "ding."

East_Yorker, kwai, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  23. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to keep in mind.
    I'd typically say no to shoes off, but you handle it quite well ;)

I think part of the rant that I do agree with, though - I've seen more often than I'd like. At least for consultants, we typically try to put in a pretty full day on our travel days, as we prepare to head home. Time is typically tight... there wouldn't be time for showers / etc. So, 8 - 9 hours in dress shoes prior to flying isn't the best prep for taking off the shoes during a flight. I've seen enough (guys) do this, consultant or not... It's definitely not a good situation to be around though.

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And slippers on certain airlines and/or routes.

Shoes are off if the flight is > 2 hrs. My socks are clean and on 6+ hr flights I change into airline socks.

Ever since reading a report on FT about an evacuation of a UA 777 in middle of winter at CDG shortly before take-off I wear shoes during take-off and landing and have my passport, wallet, and cellphone with me/reachable. I realize it's quite unlikely that I'll ever get the slide experience, but it's such a simple precaution to take that I don't mind.

25. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're clean and hygienic, why the hell not?

miloki, kwai, HiIslands and 4 others like this.