In flight and branding service changes at the new United

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by AliK, Jun 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hello, I'm wondering what folks are seeing as far as in-flight service changes as a result of the United/Continental merger. Many areas of service have to end with one airline's format or the other's, or an amalgam or something entirely new.
    The carrier is introducing some changes quietly.
    What are you seeing out there?
    Any input is greatly appreciated! I cover airlines at the Plain Dealer in Cleveland, Ohio.

2. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint!

If you read through the other threads in this forum, you'll find lots of reports regarding service changes related to the merger. You can also participate in those threads to get additional information from people. Putting in some work yourself is better than asking us to spoon feed you information for an article... ;)

seaflyguy likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint!

One of the hotly debated and mostly criticized changes is the removal of pillows in domestic First cabins of UA-operated flights. Not that the pillows were much to write home about, but I did use them for lumbar support or to cushion the somewhat hard arm wrests when I lean on them. This was UA aligning with a pre-merger CO service policy.

Related to this was a switch of blankets on UA flights to a new type that's incredibly thin and flimsy and according to some reports shedding, too. I am not much of a CO flyer, but I don't think those were standard issue on pre-merger CO aircraft, so this might be a policy change for both carriers to save some money.

4. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    The boarding process is another hot button issue. They went with the CO policy much to the outcry of the UA folks and that lasted all of a week before they realized that UA was better, especially on UA where it arguably matter the most currently you have the E+ cabin.

5. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. There are many threads on service changes and how people here feel about them.

6. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget the boarding video, which gets more smirky with each two-week installation. Smisek looks like a melted imitation of Donald Trump in the June 1-June 15 intro, where he talks about "my employees." :rolleyes:

yaychemistry likes this.
  7. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hahaha - love the description!

8. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    For United frequent flyers, the changes have been mostly negative, tending to mirror Continental's less generous policies. For example, folks automatically upgraded to first class for free, whether they want it or not, may have little choice of where to sit, and no choice of what to eat. If they don't like the single available menu item, Continental - er, United - charges them for snackboxes brought from economy class. This is a lousy way to treat frequent travelers.

9. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    In general, there seems to be far too much "decision by employee committee", leading to half-baked results like the newly illegible script on destination monitors at O'Hare. Quite a embarassment for a carrier that used to be a spit-and-polish operation.

Travelsavant likes this.
  10. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you Explore for highlighting this change; thought I needed new glasses! Had a hard time reading the stupid things by quick glance, actually had to stop right in front to read it.