In-ear QC-20s

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by viguera, Jun 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    This could probably be the biggest travel gadget since the invention of noise-cancellation.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/04/bo...comfort-20-in-ear-headphones-with-aware-mode/

Half of this article is dedicated to the new in-ear noise-cancelling headphones from Bose, which are (as tested) supposedly as good as -- if not better than -- the current crop of QuietComfort devices.

QUIETCOMFORT 20 IN-EAR HEADPHONES

The Bose QuietComfort 20 headphones are meant to offer the same security, comfort, and noise-canceling awesomeness as their over-ear counterparts, but they go so much further than that.
    The dual-microphone system detects volume levels inside the headphone, as well as approaching noises, to ensure that you can ignore the outside world and dive into the music. We tested this out in the presentation, as Bose pumped 85 decibels of New York City streets and subways into the room where we were using the QuietComfort 20 headphones. It worked, to say the least, as none of us could hear a thing, even when we could feel the noise inside the room under our feet.
    The headphones also do a little extra noise-canceling thanks to a new ear insert, what Bose is calling StayHear+ technology. It uses an extra seal in the ear to keep outside noises where they belong, and adds extra stability with a little fin that hooks under the ridge of your ear.
    But this is the best part: The new QuietComfort in-ears from Bose offer a new listening mode called “Aware Mode.” A small white button on the Y-remote of the headphones will switch the listening experience to a totally noise-canceled environment to one where Bose pushes only the lower frequencies of your music so you’re still able to have a conversation, listen to a subway announcement or any of your other surroundings.
    The QuietComfort 20 headphones come with a lithium ion battery station and are said to offer 16 hours of continuous use before the owner will no longer be able to enjoy noise-canceling technology. The new headphones aren’t available until “later this summer” and will retail for $299.

[​IMG]

HiIslands and Mike Reed like this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Want. May pre-order on Amazon when it shows up!

viguera and HiIslands like this.
  3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
  4. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is amazing!!!!

viguera likes this.
  5. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    i just had a mini-nerdgasm, how i have waited for something like this to come out! Definitely Want!

viguera likes this.
  6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't wait.

viguera likes this.
  8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just read a preliminary review from CNET on these headphones, and they mentioned that there will be a "20i" model that is specific for iPhones that will be available for the same price.

The CNET review was brief, as they only had it for five minutes at a controlled environment at Grand Central Station. But they did give it favorable reviews.

The Bose website is now saying the QC20s will be "available for purchase" on August 1st. No hints on when we can get our paws on them, though.

Tenmoc likes this.
  9. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    seems in line with most of the manufacturers - the 'i' model for iphones, the 'a' or 'no-letter' model for android/blackberries/windows. I think it has something to do with how iphones handle the 'pause/play/skip' features differently from the other manufacturers.

Tenmoc likes this.
  10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tenmoc and viguera like this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know someone from Bose? I'd love to get a pair to review...

Tenmoc likes this.
  12. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow.. seem so tempted to get one. My QC15s work just fine.. but these look amazing.

gregm likes this.
  13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    The big thing for me is the space. If they really work well and take up less space I'm all in.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Tenmoc likes this.
  14. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    We tested them in the BOSE store yesterday. Definitely want a pair. Of course this can't tell us how they'll be over a long flight though. But we're sold on them.
    The carry case is approx the size of an old compact flash memory card wallet. So size of carrying is a HUGE improvement.

gregm and Mike Reed like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So... wife wants these for upcoming trip to Africa (20+ hours in the air each way).

Read some reviews, including http://pizzainmotion.com/2013/10/20...ancelling-headphones-my-new-go-to-headphones/

Question: she has an iPad and an Android phone. So which model do I get for her -- the "i" model or the non-"i"? Microphone usage isn't important, but volume control would be desirable. Does volume controls work with airline IFE?

Finally... what are the best mileage or cashback earning deals for BOSE at the moment?

Tenmoc likes this.
  16. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love my QC15s too, but they make my ears sweat when the cabin is warm. I want to try these ASAP.

Tenmoc likes this.
  17. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:

If volume control is the biggest thing, I'd suggest the 20i for the iPad.

Only deal I have seen is the 1,500 miles with American.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  18. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I sold my QC15s on Craigslist to get these. I love them so much....right after I clear "security," I put them on, often with nothing plugged in, or just into my iPhone with no audio.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got two sets when Sharper Image had a 20% "off" sale over the 4th of July weekend. The discount was in the form of a discount code for a future purchase. So I bought one set, got the code, and then applied it to the purchase of the second set. Now I need to find something useful to buy with the code I got for the second set. 20% ($60) is much better than any mile offer I could find.

20. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice but $299 for these ear buds, Nooooo. I have had some of the other Bose earbuds and while they are very very nice they don't hold up much longer than any other earbuds. The weak link is the little connection to the earpiece (see wear his finger tips are in the photo). It's get's a lot of stress and slowly cracks and breaks. That combined with the tiny copper wires underneath eventually lead to failure. Sorry but I need a lower price point. Although this might be a good time to pick up some used large format Bose headphones on ebay or where ever :)

21. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you ever tried doing a warranty replacement through Bose. They have always been super good with issues like that in my experience. If that doesn't work have you tried your CC extended warranty program?