in a recent report from TripAdvisor they claim the 2nd most popular landmark in the world

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by jonspencer, Jun 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm still trying to get over Macho Grande.

Garp74 likes this.
  4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Number crunching can do wonders, as does requiring survey answers.

A couple of years ago, the Mills Mall in Phoenix was able to say they were the "most visited destination" in Arizona over the Grand Canyon, based simply on the fact that more people visited the shopping Mall. The operative word is "Visited" not went as a destination but because they wanted to buy something. (The figures were something like 7.9million for Arizona Mills and 7.5 million for the Grand Canyon) But as a "tourist destination" a mall ain't it.

In the case of the Mosque, might it be that people are supposed to attend services several times a day and each counts as a visit? If that is the case what about St. Peter's Square when a new Pope is chosen. Can they count all of those people.

Finally, would you really tell an "Emirati Guide" showing you on a tour of the mosque, that his presentation stunk???

Numbers, that is all.

anileze and MX like this.
  5. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I read it, we're talking about high average ratings, not sheer numbers. "The mosque’s high position in the list reflected the 4,462 reviews it received in this year’s Travelers’ Choice Attractions Awards, with 3,844 rating it “excellent” and 543 “very good”.
    As a side note, I would rate Machu Picchu among the three worst places I've ever been.
    And keep in mind that Salat (prayer) doesn't require a trip to a mosque (though it's "preferred", when possible).

6. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You've got to concentrate .... Concentrate ... Concentrate

Pizzaman and Captain Oveur like this.