Improved Mileage Run / Deals System (it's not just about the discussion)

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by EndlosLuft, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. EndlosLuft
    Original Member

EndlosLuft Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since I can't upload a file in the original thread -- I'm posting it here.

I had some time to sketch a one-pager that shows how this would be more useful. Discussion Forums are a good compliment but not the best way to help people find these types of deals.

I've tried to consider a couple of different scenarios. Some people are:

- looking for the lowest price
    - looking for the most amount of miles
    - looking for long distance inexpensive fares that are upgradable (like United 1Ks with SWUs)

DealsDB.png

2. chollie
    Original Member

chollie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like this! Possible to add some kind of 'alliance' flag? Not important to me personally, but some folks have mentioned wanting to search by alliance.
    Now to technical details: how would something like this d/base be integrated with MP?

3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd settle for having decent tags being added to the topics.

4. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

TuxTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    This would also require a new form of entry for this to work. It would need to be a form that people fill out that could then be inserted into the database.

Tags to the topics as suggested by kiwi would be simpler to implement, but would require far more continued work. Mods (or whatever they will end up being called) would need to spend time editing other's threads if people didn't properly tag their entries.

5. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you had a true database, what's to stop a third-party website from (easily) scraping it and re-posting it? Maybe I'm naive and that happens anyways...

I think it would be better to establish a convention for posting that would allow readers to quickly scan for things that interest them.

I don't know exactly what kiwi meant by 'tags', but I miss the ability to post a title to a thread.

6. EndlosLuft
    Original Member

EndlosLuft Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it really a design consideration -- to think about preventing software from scraping content?
    I'm not sketching ideas for the benefit of machines but for human beings.

A discussion-thread-only format is so ... 1990. Tags are very 2000. For example are we going to have a tag for 18000 vs 17000 miles?

jackal likes this.
  7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming tag functionality can be used, tags have the most value when they are seen to add the most. A tag for 1234 miles is unlikely to get re-used. Whereas a tag for first, business, United, (etc) likely would be reused and therefore add value.

Travelsavant likes this.
  8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not necessarily. If anyone (not just OP) could add a tag by posting to a fare topic then there would be no/little need for mod (or whoever) to add tags. May still be needed to correct typos in tags and help keep tags consistent.

9. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    True. Would still require a certain level of consistency or formal guidelines on what tags to include.

Just thinking out loud the type of tags I could foresee being useful would include:

- Alliance associated with deal
    - Airline(s) associated with deal (multiple tags for each airline)
    - CPM grouping (e.g. <2CPM, <3CPM, etc)
    - Origin Zone (e.g. Europe, North America, etc)
    - Destination Zone (e.g. Europe, North America, etc)

A few more thoughts:
    - CPMs could either be includes as groupings with a tag for each relevant grouping (ie if a deal is 2.5CPM then it would be tagged with both <3CPM and <4CPM) or we could tag with the exact CPM but then require an amendment to the MiPo search functionality to be able to search through these tags to show all deal with for example less than 3 CPM.
    - Origin and Destination zones could also be coded as C1,C2 etc by numbering each continent, or it could be more specific and specify the origin and destination country.

10. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Too true - I was thinking defensively because I've been spending too much time in the tricks thread.

Wow I guess I need to start exploring those new-fangled interwebs I hear so much about.

I get it now - I really like the tags idea better than a database. Maybe not the quantitative mileage tags, but alliance, carrier, origin, and destination would be a great start. I think it will be easier to adopt if we keep it simple. For those of us stuck in the 1990s. :)

TuxTraveller likes this.
  11. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    is anyone here familiar with the tag system used on LiveJournal? i belong to a few rather large communities that have specific, well defined tags that can be selected from a drop-down menu (pre loaded i guess is the term) to attach to a post in said community. people are encouraged to follow a specific format (template is provided for members to c/p information into) for posting including using the tags. the end result is being able to search by individual as well as multiple tags.

this would work here for those that want *A, CPM, zone or whatever else they wanted.

TuxTraveller likes this.
  12. EndlosLuft
    Original Member

EndlosLuft Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why don't you sketch what the results page would look like? Tags usually lead to single topics pages.

I think you mean facets not tags by the way.

13. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would also require and educated user doing the entry. I know near nothing about Star upgrades, the risk of screwing up the entry would hinder my willingness to post it. On the other hand it would be great for email alerts.

kayet likes this.
  14. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not knowing anything about *A Upgrades shouldn't hinder you from entering most of the info I suggested in the tags. It's simple stuff like. Where does the flight start and end, which alliance and which airline... leave more advanced tags to other people to fill in later.

I see the tags working only if everyone adds their bit.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  15. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The suggestion with tags is actually to stick with the a forum/thread based system and not move to the more advanced GUI front-end. Basically people would post their deals as a new thread but then tag the thread. You would then need to add a filtering option as part of the MiPo forum so that you can filter visible threads based on their tags!

I know the GUI you are suggesting is more advanced, but it will also require more work to develop and will be substantially different for people to adjust to. It's a decision that the Admins will have to make ultimately.

16. Oiuyt
    Original Member

Oiuyt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really like this idea, but I'm not sure about the "expired" button.

How often do threads end up with multiple people incorrectly posting that the deal is gone or that they can't find it any more? At most, having people hit that button should pop an alert to someone who has demonstrated the ability correctly and consistently to sort out expired from live deals.

DesertRose likes this.
  17. EndlosLuft
    Original Member

EndlosLuft Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a similar concept to how Craigslist handles flagging by users. I agree that one person shouldn't be able to mark it as expired but if 3 or 5 or whatever the number would be do ... it's reasonable to assume it's gone. If only moderators or the OP can make the change then this becomes a bottleneck.

18. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree with Oiuyt. There are too many people who do a cursory search for the dates they want and then gripe about the deal being dead while others are happily booking.