Improved Flight Alerts, MCT, MPM and other enhancements

Discussion in 'ExpertFlyer' started by ExpertFlyer Voice, May 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    Today we have released several new features that many of our subscribers have asked for:

"Less Than" Flight Alerts*
    • In addition to Flight Alerts that let you know when an award/upgrade/fare class is at least a certain value, now you can set an alert to notify you when inventory drops below a certain value.
    • By selecting the "Less Than" option when creating the alert, ExpertFlyer will alert you when the inventory starts to drop, allowing you to take advantage of inventory before it disappears.
    Multiple Seasonality date ranges for fares*
    • For Fare Information searches using the "Show Fares for All Travel Dates" option, where applicable, if a fare has multiple published seasonality dates, they will now all be shown.
    Travel Information Additions - MCT, MPM & Connecting Cities
    The following searches have been added to the Travel Information search page:
    • Minimum Connect Times - with the ability to specify incoming/outgoing airlines and the connection type.
    • Maximum Permitted Mileage - that shows not only MPM but has a dedicated Calculated Sector Mileage response as well.
    • Connecting Cities - shows all predetermined connecting cities for the specified city pair. *
    Booking Class Search*
    • Along with Fare Rules and Routing Rules, the Fare Information results page now has a Booking Class look-up tool.
    • This will allow you to determine the required booking classes for the fare and any specific exceptions.
    • You can also specify a secondary airline to show booking class information for segments flown by carriers other than the fare owner.
    Extended Information/Comments for all airlines in Flight Status
    • There is now a "View Additional Comments" link at the bottom of every Flight Status result. Clicking it will get the raw airline comments for the flight for most airlines.
    • For example:
      Results from ExpertFlyer.com
      Code:
      Flight Status Search:
      Departing on 05/26/11
      Flying US flight 1

Flight  Status    Depart Location  Depart Date                  Reliability  Arrive Location  Arrive Date
                          PHX              Scheduled: 05/26/11 8:45 AM                ORD              Scheduled: 05/26/11 2:03 PM
      US 1    Landed    Term: 4          Estimated: 05/26/11 8:55 AM  81% / 35m    Term: 2          Estimated: 05/26/11 2:15 PM
                          Gate: B11        Actual: 05/26/11 8:53 AM                  Gate: F8        Actual: 05/26/11 2:13 PM

Comments:
      "0001/26MAY
      P PHX/OUT    753A L00:08
      P PHX/OFF    810A
      P ORD/ON    104P
      P ORD/IN    113P L00:10

SKED  PHX  ORIG    745A              GTD  B11 SHIP 631
            ORD  103P  TERM      GTA  F8"
    Ability to easily copy and share results
    • As seen above, you can now click on the "Share Results" link at the top of every response page which will let you easily copy and share ExpertFlyer results in a nicely formatted way.
    • Results can be exported in Text, HTML, CSV, or BB Code formats and either copied to your clipboard or saved to a file.
    * Exclusive ExpertFlyer.com features

We hope that you find these new features helpful in your travel planning. As always, any issues or feedback can be sent to us at customercare@expertflyer.com

yaffa and BurBunny like this.
  2. yaffa
    Original Member

yaffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just thought of adding all my flights for the upcoming vacation as saved queries but found out that I cannot add flights which are more than a few days out. Obviously the airlines won't file information months ahead but why can't I store a query (e.g. from my laptop/desktop) and then conveniently use it to lookup the flight status while on the go (with a much smaller iPhone)?
    I'd love to see this as a feature. I'll also send this as feedback via mail.

3. ExpertFlyer Voice

Status Points:
    You can create a Saved Query for any search for up to a year in the future. Please email us and we'll walk you thru how to do it correctly.

yaffa likes this.
  4. yaffa
    Original Member

yaffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, just figured that my post wasn't clear. I was talking specifically about the 'Flight Status' part which has been recently enhanced. I love the feature as I don't need to check other sites to obtain the same information.
    As for the regular saved queries I am already addicted and frequently check my upcoming flights, esp. now that I hope my NZ NRT-AKL next week miraculously turns into a 772 ;-)

5. ExpertFlyer Voice

Status Points:
    Ah, that makes more sense. The problem is that airlines don't create Flight Status entries that far in advance so there is nothing to show. However even still, you can still create a Saved Query for the search and then recall it when it gets closer to the date of the flight. The ability to save a query still works even if the search resulted in an error.

6. yaffa
    Original Member

yaffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    The date picker is grayed out (aka unusable) for dates more than a few days out. But I just retried entering the dates in the text field and tomorrow I shall know if it works.

7. ExpertFlyer Voice

Status Points:
    Right, you can enter in any date on the web and if it's too far out it will return either an error or no data, depending on the airline. You can then save the query and execute that on mobile, but if the data isn't there you'll get the same response. Hope that helps.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does this equate to looking up the operating carrier code on a codeshare segment? So if I have a Q fare IAD-FRA-KBP on UA code with the second segment operated by LH it'll tell me what the UA Q maps to on LH?

9. ExpertFlyer Voice

Status Points:
    Yes, although the prime code table may be enough. The prime table shows secondary carrier booking codes when the primary carrier (in your case UA) files secondary carrier exceptions. The Alternate airline booking table shows secondary carrier (in your case LH) booking codes on carrier-specific fares when the secondary carrier files its own exceptions.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  10. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent new features! Lots of good info here that used to require calling the airline.

I'm particularly intrigued for the "less than" availability alerts. By searching for <9 (or 4 or 7 depending on GDS) you could get a sense of when a flight is starting to fill up.

For the sharing results -- any chance you could put some css at the top so the format is as easy to read as on ExpertFlyer.com? (Basically a smaller, sans serif font, and less intrusive cell dividers?)

11. ExpertFlyer Voice

Status Points:
    Thanks!
    We can look at that, but we wanted to leave the styling up to you so it works with whatever web page you're pasting it into. You should be able to control the styling with existing CSS on your page.

12. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I was planning to paste a subset of the availability into Microsoft Word, so looking for the "cleanest" format that shows flight number, time, and availability. -- I'm looking for a way to build up an itinerary with flight availability searches for each flight individually on ExpertFlyer.com

13. ExpertFlyer Voice

Status Points:
    If you want clean then you may want to copy the data as Text instead of HTML.