Improve the Program

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by kokonutz, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kokonutz
    Original Member

kokonutz Silver Member

Status Points:
    This post may not make me popular with some, but I'm ready for some changes in Mileage Plus.
    1) How about raising the threshold for Premier status by 5 or 10 thousand miles. In hub cities like chicago and Dulles, lines for premier check-in have gotten as long as regular check-in lines (sometimes longer!). This change would also allow gate agents to allow priority boarding for premier members without half of the plane getting filled (I've noticed that many agents only call 1k members for priority boarding lately).

2. Bring back Plateau bonuses...even if they are at a higher level! These were the best thing about UMP a couple years back!

3. Rotating movies was a great idea! How about rotating music selections as well. The Tom Petty interview was on for nearly 3 months!

Overall, I love UMP, but IMHO, these improvements (esp. #1) would REALLY help...

Freddie Listo, Punki and miketown like this.
  2. kokonutz
    Original Member

kokonutz Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is an hommage post. :)

I just wish I had thought to make it my FIRST post here too!

Punki likes this.
  3. Anglo Large Clawed Otter
    Original Member

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about adopting Continental's spousal/partner benefit for Million Miler. Am really hoping this benefit does not disappear after program merger.

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Weren't plateau bonuses back around 15 or more years ago? I started with UA in 1992 and was only able to take advantage of those one year (was it 10K extra at 35K, 45K, 55K, etc?). I also remember there was discounted award travel when two traveled together, but that may have been for F travel.

I really wish UA would match the AA systemwide rules so I can use mine. I gave them all away last year because I won't buy up. Compare that to AA where I upgraded 3 of us later this month into London, and home from Brussels, without a penny extra spent.

5. ozstamps
    Original Member

ozstamps Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA needs to ensure high tier member susing SWUs on high fare buckets. Right now 1Ks often do not get upgraded on $4500 "B" fares which is absurd.

They need to do a sweep a week out for all B and Y long haul It'l and clear what looks fair. Then everyone on M down takes their lottery chance at gate.

eightblack likes this.
  6. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

CrazyMonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope they also offer 2MM BIS lifetime benefit besides the RCC membership. Whatever level between 1K and Premier Executive is going to be called.

7. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Koko, I agree with you that the Premier Boarding line is getting bad. Though with them selling "premier access" I somehow don't think they are going to do anything about it. I just wish they would actually monitor the red carpet access. Half the time they don't.

As for program changes. I really hope that they bring the CO spousal benefit into the mix for MM. It will really save me a ton of money as I don't need to fly the other half near as much just to get her status.

8. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember once flying YYZ/ORD where almost everybody on the plane was at least Premier. They boarded in order, First and 1Ks, Premier Executive, Premier, and "the remaining five of you".

For the first time in a decade, we are no long 1Ks, but I am too old and spoiled to fly in coach, so it probably won't change our travel experience too much.

9. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd really like to see some improvements to the standard award. Why not let it earn EQM (but not RDM) and lifetime mile? Also add it to the UDU queue as the lowest fare bucket. With those changes, I think many more people would consider standard awards even when saver awards are available.

10. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    GS already get this, but I feel as though 1Ks should get UDU if empty seats remain in C or F, after all elites have cleared.. DEN-YEG r/t on an NY ticket had two empty seats in F.. :(

11. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be interesting to see some choices in benefits at the higher levels the way DL and AC have done so that flyers with different needs can customize the program a bit. In keeping with UA tradition you could offer an additional choice at every 50k above 100. So you might do:
    • 25k *Silver, basic benefits
    • 50k *G, with attendant benefits
    • 75k, one or two "choice" benefits (CR1s/SWUs/Mile Bonus/U Club/Maybe Elite Sponsorship)
    • 100k, another one or two "choices"
    • Every additional 50k, another choice
    It would take on some elements of Elite Choice while also making each person's 1P+ and 1K experiences a little more personal.

12. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is the smartest thing I think I've seen you post...

13. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like this idea. Yes, why not let award tickets earn EQM's? After all we do sit on these flights!

14. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe at least one carrier does this already. I want to say it is QF. Does anyone know?

15. Tarpie
    Original Member

Tarpie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. There's pretty much no way for me to redeem miles for myself. I plan to fly enough to make 1K, but I won't have time to fly more than that, so award flights are not appealing. I am cheap, so I won't be purchasing any international flights in fare buckets that don't require a copay to upgrade with miles. I would be willing to burn a ton of miles to upgrade an international flight without copay, but I am not willing to tack on $1,000 to my fare. I would be willing to drop 200,000ish miles to upgrade a TPAC RT, but there is no cashless option and cash is what I don't like to spend :)

I would be a lot happier if I could earn EQM on Standard awards. The only way to do this at the moment is with miles earned through the Chase CC. Tickets can be purchased at 1 cpm with miles earned through the CC, so all of my BIS miles are useless for this. But those tickets are full RDM/EQM earning which is nice. I haven't taken advantage of this since I want to make sure I have enough CC miles to buy EQM if necessary at the end of the year.

In the end, my miles will be used to fly family to Europe in style. At least I can turn the miles into nice presents. I may burn miles on a RCC membership even though that is redeeming at < 1 cpm. And I will say it is nice to know I can book a last second Standard award in an emergency when last minute fares are $1,000+, so I guess the miles aren't completely useless.

Horse likes this.
  16. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Status Points:
    That still costs money.

17. 2lovelife
    Original Member

2lovelife Silver Member

Status Points:
    All award segments should earn (at least) 1 mile. Then they could track the real amount that a frequent traveler is clocking. Because really, all those award seats are paid (albeit with points). When prices are high, I fly alot of C& F awards, but if you look at my summary, it looks like I'm a dormant flyer during those periods.

All flights should also allow 1 category upgrades, even if it's an award (upon availability). For domestic that means UDU or CR1s, and International it would mean the ability to use SWUs to up an award from Y or C.

Some fares prohibit standby and waitlisting. If I am willing to pay the fee, and the seats have not yet opened up, why can't I wait at the airport to see if I can make the flight. How about waiving this for frequent flyers
    I agree about the B fares losing to GS giveaways

Finally, the ability to waive the change fee when buying UP in fare was a benefit that I used alot.

18. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if expecting awards to earn EQMs is realistic, but what about having them at least count towards MM status? UA has a very restrictive policy when it comes to MM status miles. I understand not counting partner airlines, but maybe all BIS miles on UA should count, awards included.

Also, as far as short term improvements are concerned, I'd take tha ability to use SWUs on Continental, and above all, the ability to upgrade codeshares on UA metal. It kills me that if I book a UA flight on UA metal through Continental with a CO flight number, then I can't upgrade with my UA miles or certs.

eightblack and JLSocks like this.
  19. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That has become one of my favorite features of the Delta program over the past six months.

Given that UGS already gets award ticket upgrades, it seems like it would be a nice perk for 1Ks as well, especially as the availability of CR1s looks to drop for 2012.

20. UA needs to stop selling so many K fares... crazy how many K fares around these days.. I remember when very few fares were not upgradeable with SWU

21. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a long-time CO elite, I've benefited from the CO policy of all EQM counting toward lifetime status. I estimate the extra miles I've earned from fares garnering 150%, double status miles, etc. make up for a good portion of the award ticket miles I've flown but not earned miles for. I think the new UA should take on the CO model of adding all EQM to lifetime status totals. If they don't, and they retain the UA model, your pr:)posal would be quite fair. Lifetime status the way UA (currently) sees it is about miles flown, and should not be about paid vs. reward.

mundosurfer likes this.
  22. kluau88
    Original Member

kluau88 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The other lines that have gotten longer are the elite security lines. Have you seen the one for T3 at SFO? Initially when they rolled it out the lines weren't so bad as 1K had their own line. Now 1K's have to share the line with the other elites.

23. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, at some airports the elite line is long because the security apparatchik tells kettles to use the elite line when it is shorter than the regular :(ne.

24. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a really controversial one.... lots of folks prefer the Star Alliance Gold option for the flier. I know that I'll be very upset if crossing the million miler mark yields only silver, which is essentially wallet candy.[​IMG] I personally would love to see folks get a choice, at least initially, of the "CO Way" or the "UA way". I know that this is very unlikely

25. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love the idea but think the chance of this happening is less than 1%.