important information about usb 3

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by estnet, Jan 1, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I discovered, quite by accident, that you can use a regular usb cable to charge if you don't have the version 3. Haven't tested to see if charging is slower, but quite useful if you've forgotten the right cable!

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The pin out is different, although they are physically compatible. The front row has 4 pins for old device compatibility, but there's also a second row of 5 pins. The old devices ignore the new pins since there's no matching pins on the port.

Some devices won't work period, particularly external hard drives -- as I found out, the hard way :)

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, but if you think u have a dead galaxy pro tablet and can't find your usb 3 cable in an airport lounge the Tablet WILL charge with the regulargest cable.
    after I posted I did some research and it is apparently well known (by some) that the plug is compatible but transfer rates are faster using the 3 - which maybe why the external drive didn't work?

4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    USB 3 can also supply more power -- so if the USB 3 drive needed that extra power and requested it and the USB 2 connection was unable to supply it, then the drive wouldn't work.

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    A lot of devices will run, not just charge, as USB 2.0 if needed.

6. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, though I was referring to devices not taking a charge, such as an external hard drive. USB 3 might supply enough power to run the drive but it possibly wouldn't be able to start up with the lower current USB 2 can deliver.