Implication of "Subject to receipt of government operating authority."

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by corz123, Dec 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys. I was looking at a flight with ANA in May from Tokyo and saw the following text on UA's site. What does this mean and how should it affect my decision for a flight? Is it possible that approval isn't given and I'll be on a worse flight of their choosing?

"Subject to receipt of government operating authority."

2. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    They wouldn't put up the flight if there wasn't a strong likelihood that it will stay there.

If you end up booking and the flight doesn't happen, it's basically the same scenario as a schedule change. If they can route you on something reasonably comparable they'll try to do that; if there's no viable option you can get a refund at that point.

skyvan, Flyer1976 and corz123 like this.
  3. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sort of on a mission to get on ANA's square first. By they do you mean United or ANA? Have there been many cases where the approval hasn't gone through? This is my first time encountering this.

4. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Operating carrier would not start selling tickets unless they expected to fly the route. (There's a cost to handling customers if the route doesn't go.)
    Ticketing carrier will work with you on acceptable alternatives should the flight be cancelled before your departure day. (If you're using UA miles, and NH cancels their flight, UA can ask NH to open up award inventory. However, the safer assumption is you'd get a choice of a UA flight or a refund. If you want to see your full rights as far, take a look at the contract of carriage.)

corz123 likes this.
  5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are some of these pending routes from Lat Am on TA as well. I think it is very useful when this happens b/c at least initially, award inventory is less tight than normal. Even DL SM can yield some actual J flying under these circumstances (e.g. new AM route).

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is very rare. NH already has the slots at HND so that shouldn't be a problem.