Immigration for Cambodia

Discussion in 'Asia' started by kwai, Sep 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Imagine my surprise when, approaching the immigration desks at PNH, i see the green glow of electronic fingerprint machines. The last time i used immigration here was in mid-July and they weren't present.

I inquired as to how long this has been in operation and he responded about a month,. and then added, 'Because of your country.' Yes, I carry a US Passport. :(

When is this asinine crap going to end?

Oh, and they are attached to the counter via cables. Theft must be a concern. :D

Kalboz, OY-JFS and jbcarioca like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are using them now in more and more places I note, including even Hertz in some places, like Brazil, where they use webcams also. I don't really mind, but it is becoming a trifle intrusive even by my relaxed standards. But...Cambodian immigration?
    That blows my mind. Last year at LPQ the immigration officer looked at my passort several times strangely, then asked me in good English where Brazil was. No technology was anywhere in sight. PNH is the big city, so maybe we should not be surprised.

The idiocy will not end in my lifetime, of that I am sure.

Kalboz, OY-JFS and kwai like this.
  3. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly I am too.

I'm just trying to understand if his response was indicating the US gov was paying for it, they somehow required it or it was a response to what the US gov was doing.

I'm not happy with those countries who demand reciprocity of US citizens WRT fees and fingerprints. However i understand why they draw the proverbial line in the sand.

In Cambodia I'm just flabbergastered to see this.

And again, let me point out, the machines are tethered the the desk with cables!!!!!

Kalboz likes this.
  4. drdubs
    Original Member

drdubs Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have they become any more strict with the pictures one is allowed to submit through the e-visa program? I used a picture from a Hawaiian vacation with flowers around my neck and my friend used a picture of himself wearing a cowboy hat and had no problems getting through immigration!

kwai and Kalboz like this.
  5. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a year-long visa so I've no idea if they'd give you problems for that. But I like your style.