Immigrating illegally -- in style

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by viguera, May 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You gotta admit, if you're gonna get smuggled into the country, there are worst ways to do it than the QM2.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2011/05/09/2011-05-09_wouldbe_smuggler_on_cruise_control.html

NYBanker likes this.
  2. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I get a chuckle every time someone gets caught because of traveling on a cruise. This was an extreme example of thinking the immigration scruitiny is less rigorous on a cruise than otherwise, but far from the first. Can't count the number of times people have been arrested returning from a cruise (or even had the cruise intercepted after it left port but before it left territorial waters) because there was an outstanding warrant of various types against them. The most common warrant is for delinquent child support.

I've even had propspects call me and ask about what cruise could they take without a passport and admit they couldn't leave the country due to child support issues. I refuse to take their business.

Then there are those who have applied for green cards and are prohibited from leaving the country until their status is resolved... amazing how many of them try to cruise as well. :rolleyes:

MSPeconomist likes this.
  3. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lol. They are not prohibited from leaving. Being allowed back in is the problem. ;) You should tell them they can cruise to Puerto Rico and back :D , get their butts to Hawaii and cruise the islands, or call their immigration layers.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  4. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bingo!

Actually, itineraries to SJU must make a non-US port call to comply with PSVA/Jones Act, so those itineraries don't work. Hawaii on NCL America does, and for those truly with immigration limitations due to green card status I do suggest that. However, I won't touch those with issues due to child support with a 10 foot pole.

MSPeconomist likes this.