Immediate balance payment and miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by seaflyer_, Sep 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. seaflyer_

seaflyer_ Active Member

Status Points:
    So I am wondering: if I pay my credit card balance before the statement date (let's say on the same day when I make the charge on the card), will I still earn miles/points? Or do they only credited based on the statement balance?

Thanks!

2. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    They credit on your spend, not on the statement balance!

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    But don't expect that the points will post more quickly by doing it that way. They still only post after the statement closes.

The only reason I can think of to pay it immediately is if you're trying to push more through on the card than the limit permits. And some banks frown on that.

Newscience and WilliamQ like this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    In general, you earn points on the total you spend on the credit card. However, there is a new cash-back card that, I believe, gives you 1% on your spend on 1% on your payments -- effectively 2% except that I believe it only pays that second percent when you pay against your posted balance (early payments do not earn the second percent on that one card).

Newscience and WilliamQ like this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    You still get the rewards and I know of friend who does that.
    I only pay in advance when I am near my limits and am expecting to charge more before the end of the statement period.

Newscience and gaijin62 like this.