I'm Totally Loving It!

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Steven Schwartz, Jan 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I started the day off with around 90,000 points in my Hyatt account.

Over the next few hours, I made the following reservations and changes:

1. five nights in December at the Andaz 5th Avenue in a Splash Suite on Points and Cash with a Diamond Suite Upgrade

2. Changed my four night suite award at the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome in June to Points and Cash with a Diamond Suite Upgrade

3. Changed my three night suite award at the Grand Hyatt Berlin right after Paris to Points and Cash with a Diamond Suite Upgrade.

So seven nights changed and five nights added. And my Hyatt points total went from 90,000 to 146,000! Had a nice chat with one of the Diamond agents and said that I imagined that these new awards are pretty popular. She confirmed that most people seem to know that they are the sweet spot right now. Glad I regained Hyatt Diamond status and that it's only January so I can still work to keep it!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the cash cost went to what??

Partial data can be fun but knowing the whole story is often more useful.

rookie10 and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is the Hyatt board. I assumed (silly me) that members here know that there is a cash copay. But I live to make you happy so:

1. The copay at the Park Hyatt in Paris is $300/night
    2. The copay at the Grand Hyatt Berlin is $100/night

The fact remains that this only worked for me since Points and Cash not only allows me to use my Suite Upgrades but that these nights also count towards status. Everyone is different - that's why I titled my thread "I'M loving it" rather than "This is the best thing since sliced bread". To wit, I may not LOVE paying the British Air copays but they are still one of the few airlines that make First Class travel possible so I do it. And with Hyatt, the point I was trying to make is that my stack of points will now go further. We earn them to use them but each time I do, I do get nervous at seeing my point total dwindle. So for me, I'm happy to pay the copay knowing I can now have more vacations. And it's okay that others feel differently - this is personal for me. I hope that clears it up.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    of course I know there is a co-pay, but I, too, found it interesting that you concluded that you now have 56,000 more points, but didn't mention the $$ cost for those points you got back by converting from award to cash+points. So $1200 + $300 + 2 suite upgrades is the other side of the equation, if I got the math right?

(not judging whether that is a good deal or not, just trying to understand the trade-offs)

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So you bought 56,000 points for $1500. That's a 2.6ish CPM rate. Considering the UR->Hyatt path available I'm not so convinced that's a great deal, but if you enjoy it then knock yourself out.

newbluesea likes this.
  6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Park Hyatt Paris Vendome, four nights suite award = 132,000 points (old schedule)
    four nights points and cash = 60,000 points + $1200
    72,000 back in account

Grand Hyatt Berlin, three nights suite award = 69,000 points (also old award)
    three nights points and cash = 22,500 points + $300
    46,500 back in account

Total back = 118,500
    My cost = $1500

1.26 cents per point

I ALSO book the Andaz 5th Avenue Cash and points. a Suite award there would now be 40,000 points per night. Having an available Diamond Suite Upgrade and being able to use it for a Points and Cash reservation meant I paid 12,500 per night and $150. For me, what makes this amazing is that I can use those Diamond Suite Upgrades and it gives a lot of extra value. But that's me. I like staying in suites when we travel so this makes it a deal.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And now you understand even better why sharing all the details makes more sense. :)

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having let all four (4) suite upgrades let go unused in my last year of Diamond (2012), you can probably guess that suites aren't high on my personal priority list :). But we all have different preferences and priorities and I am glad you are able to make good use of them. Wish I could have given mine away (I used two the year before to upgrade my parents on trips they joined me on).

9. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    One important data point to share. When the agent looked for Points and Cash for Paris, she said the only way was if I used a Suite Upgrade. In other words, basic rooms were not available so they could not be booked with points but they will let us reserve using the upgrade if a suite is available. I thought that was very good news.

Jaimito Cartero and Kalboz like this.
  10. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I think this is pretty pricey and not a good deal.

However, for some people it might be considered a good deal. It's like how some people say that AF/KL/BA premium cabin award tickets are a good deal even with the taxes/fees, since it's still much cheaper than purchasing the tickets outright.

11. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I'm traveling on business I generally wouldn't pay 2 cents for a suite. When my family is there, and having a suite means I get to stay up and watch TV while my daughter sleeps, and I get to sleep rather than having her kick me in the head all night? Priceless. But of course the problem is that I tend to book family trips using points, while work stays are paid for/expensed. So in the past I could only use Suite Upgrades with Hyatt when I didn't care about them. The new Cash & Points option isn't ideal, but its better than it used to be. I'm using one this month.

Steven Schwartz and Kalboz like this.
  12. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I hear you. But we have to define "ideal" and from my perspective, it's getting harder and harder to find it! But that said, for right now, if you have managed to attain Hyatt Diamond, this is about as good as it gets. For me, to get a $1500/night junior suite at the PH Paris Vendome for $300 isn't pocket change but still an amazing deal. And I would certainly be willing to spend $300/night on a special vacation.

To me, it's the same "rationalization" for BA First Class. I can get First Class for the price of Coach (that's about what the taxes on the FC tickets are). Would I prefer it be less? You bet. I've flown Lufthansa and Swiss First - but try to get them now! BA still is doable without much work.

Anyway, the games and the rules change but for now, Hyatt has provided me with a sweet suite deal! Glad you're getting to use one and hope you enjoy it. Where are you going?

13. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had my accounting grad student son create a custom Excel spreadsheet that calculates all my costs to acquire points and the value of my point redemptions. During the last 12 months I have been able to accrue UR points at a rate of 2.5 UR points per dollar spent or 0.4 cents per point. With 1:1 transfer to Hyatt, my acquisition costs for Hyatt are the same. That being said, I feel the same as Steve regarding the suite upgrades and fuel surcharges on BA 1st Class which we are flying in May/June.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  14. livetotravel

livetotravel New Member

Status Points:
    Steven, Care to share your custom Excel spreadsheet, with the formulas but minus the contents?

15. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Think you mean Bruce

16. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    As soon as it is completed, I hope to be able to post for everyone's usage. Still working on linking all the input and output data from credit cards, stays, transfers in and out of all the different programs. My son started classes again, so his time will be limited. It could take a couple months to finish up.

I think it could be a very useful tool to show each persons individual ROI on points and miles.

IDGflygirl and Singapore Flyer like this.
  17. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    As some have said, some suites are worth it, others, not so much.

I find Steven's valuation, once it was explained, to be pretty reasonable. Certainly a good use of diamond certs. The only one that hurt was CDG. ;)

18. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What Bruce is saying is that we middle-aged dentists could never be expected to come up with something like this on our own!

brucewil likes this.