I'm too dumb to figure this out.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by davidbbrenner, Jan 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. davidbbrenner

davidbbrenner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all, I'm sorry to have to ask, and I have tried writing to both CO and UA, but the emails they are answering for me today are literally questions I asked them 3 or 4 weeks ago. So while I can't get an "official" answer in print, I am wondering if perhaps I am missing something - but in my situation EVERY mile counts. I'm not concerned about upgrades, just calculation of miles. If I figured out one thing, its if you pick the wrong number to apply to your reservation, it's a world of hurt fixing it.

Background:
    I am a 75K flyer from 2011, so I am Premier Executive on United, Platinum on Continental, will be Premier Platinum after the merger.

I always fly the exact same itinerary. NAP-MUC (Operated by Lufthansa, 516 miles), MUC-IAD (Operated by United, 4267 miles), and then return IAD-MUC (Operated by United, 4267 miles), MUC-NAP (Sometimes operated by Air Dolomiti DBA Lufthansa, sometimes by Lufthansa). It is always a Y class ticket.

Under 2011 rules, I always used my MP number (I was Premier Executive on OP, but only Gold at the time on OP), and was always getting 774 (516 x 1.5) EQMs for the NAP-MUC segment and 6401 (4267 x 1.5) EQMs for MUC-IAD, presumably because the flight was booked in Y class. I would also get 1032 RDMs for the NAP-MUC and 8534 RDMs for MUC-IAD, which I guess was the 100% bonus for being Premier Executive/Gold. So in sum, I was getting 14439 EQMs and 19132 RDMs per round trip. I do 7 round trips per year, so I make it to 1K by only about 1,000 miles so I have to do it right :)

The questions (finally):
    Pre Merger:
    1) From now until the official merger, given my situation, does it matter which account number I use?
    [Assuming they are still using 2011 rules, I would think I'd get the same 14439 EQM and 19132 RDM miles but my concern about using the MP number is that Continental specifically includes Air Dolomiti DBA Lufthansa, but MP does not, and one (I believe not so knowledgeable) MP agent said that Air Dolomiti doesn't get any credit.]

2) After the merger, when I go to 75% as a Premier Platinum, am I calculating it out correctly that I will still earn the same number of PQMs and RDMs, as Y is still supposed to carry 150% PQMs, and I think I read where my RDMs, while only 75% as a Platinum, there is an additional 25% non-PQM bonus for Y tickets?

I am FAR FAR FAR less concerned about the RDM calculations as I am about the EQM/PQM calculations, and I truly appreciate your thoughts on my questions. I'm active duty stationed overseas so I can't call the 800 numbers and I don't want to call the direct number internationally as it is very expensive, and even then, one agent's opinion usually varies from the next's. Thanks again, and happy new year.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    As you are mostly concerned about PQMs to make 1K that's the one I'll address first. Right now the same rules apply and the earning should be the same. In the case Air Dolomiti is just Lufty Express so it counts in both programs even though the UA agent said otherwise. I wouldn't sweat that. in the new program the partner earning rates have NOT yet been published. Where CO and UA were the same wee can assume that the same will still be used going forward but I'm not so certain that's really going to happen. It really is just guessing right now unfortunately.

On the RDM side, again, we simply don't know what will happen in the new program on partner earning.

3. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it matters what account number you use, However considering that the MP numbers will be converted to OP numbers, and that CO gives you credit for Air Dolomiti DBA Lufthansa, I'd make life easier and use the OP number. More information on MP/OP account numbers at: http://mileageplusmergerupdates.com/en/mp/MileagePlusin2012/AccountNumbers

I am not sure about the second question, but I think that only the 'bonus' RDM's are at 75% for premier platinum and so your PQM calculations shouldn't change.

4. davidbbrenner

Status Points:
    Thank you Wandering! Good to go on the Lufty Express (I like that!). So since no publishing yet on credit for partners, and since I have no real choice in itinerary (other than Lufty Express versus actual Lufty) or class (Y), it's really 6 of one, half a dozen of the other and I'll get what I get as far as PQMs/RDMs, choosing one program over the other (before merger) doesn't matter. Do I have that right?

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I believe you have that right. Today both credit the same and in the future it will be what it will be.

As for the "number" being used converting between UA and CO, that REALLY doesn't matter at all, and not for this either. When the time comes that there is actually only one number I do highly recommend using that one. ;)

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not awake, but when I check the OP numbers, I get 7175 status miles per direction at the 150% rate or 14,349 rather than 14,439 per RT. I think there's an error in the arithmetic given the numbers provided. I did not verify the distances the OP gives.

7. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Off-topic, but you can call toll-free numbers free of charge from anywhere using skype-out and perhaps other voip services too. Also much cheaper to call internationally anyway.

8. davidbbrenner

Status Points:
    Thanks effseeoh - I have been using Google talk (free for military abroad) but unfortunately, either the connection will stay true for hours, but other times, after 45 minutes of being on hold or telling a story to a customer service rep, I get disconnected. aaaarghhhh!