I'm Sooo Ashamed, But I'm Truly Lost...

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Whatwasthat..., Feb 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Whatwasthat... Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been trying to to find the answer to what MUST be one of the easiest, most obvious questions - and I've failed miserably :(! So, embarrassed and ashamed though I am, here's my question:

What is the "process" for using Avios to book a non-BA Flight (ex: LAX - OGG, LAX - HKG)?

Can it be done on the website (if so, I haven't figured out how :confused:), or must one do it via the call center?

Your guidance will be very much appreciated, Thanks!

tommy777 likes this.
  2. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I call BA to book partner awards and use web for BA only upgrades/redemptions -

3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can do it via the web site, but it's a bit complicated, and it seems to have changed since I last did it.

Select the dates, then it'll say "Click on a date to see partner availability."

You can't click on the date you first selected, so pick another date, then click back. (Or start with one day off)

Whatwasthat... likes this.
  4. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go to BA's website and select Executive club. From the drop down menu select Spending Avios. From there select book flights with Avios. You will need a user ID to log in, but from there select your travel dates and orgin and destination. If BA does not fly it will search partner availability (AA for the US). Then you can go ahead and book using your Avios points on AA.

5. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    remember that you cannot select Alaska airlines online

6. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Eureekah!!! It worked! Thanks soo much for your help with this! Truly cool! :D

IDGflygirl and mommypoints like this.
  7. ukgooner
    Original Member

ukgooner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just out of interest - why are you collecting on both AA and BA? Isn't it best to consolidate with one "One World" carrier - then maybe take on a Star carrier too?

8. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's a question I keep revisiting (thanks for asking!).

Historically, I have a couple decades of flying with AA (albeit with varying degrees of frequency with different jobs). The BA flying started a few years ago, spurred by the 100,000 mile credit card bonus & ability to qualify for Companion Vouchers. But from that, I really have appreciated my experiences flying on BA (yes, even with the dreaded fuel surcharges). Since most of my flying now (aside from 1-2 "aspirational" trips each year) tends to be short hops (ex: LAX - SFO/LAS/DEN...), I've tended to default to my usual suspects. And AA & BA have provided me with some complementing options in recent years. Then again, there are certainly times when I'd like to be able to access more options (more readily) in the Asia/Pacific region. I guess I just need to figure out how I could best broaden my horizons without neglecting my roots.

Sorry for rambling! :oops:

9. ukgooner
    Original Member

ukgooner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its pretty easy to get BA status though AA flying - providing you do 4 BA metal sectors a year. With an Op-up fare, you'd get 60 tps per sector on AA, so a trip with a connection could get you 240tps. You only need to do three such trips - then Admirals Club access is yours for free...

Whatwasthat... likes this.
  10. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this guidance! I'm going to have to see if I can arrange for some additional travel time in the 4th qtr. to do this. Much appreciated!

11. qofmiwok

qofmiwok Active Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I tried this 6/12/13 and it didn't work. I know there are flights because they come up on the AA site. But on the BA site it still says no flights available when I click like you suggested. Or does BA only show Saver awards, not Anytime awards?

Thanks

12. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    BA only has access to saver awards. If you are seeing anytime awards, then BA cannot book them.

13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

True, but BA does not show all possible saver awards either. As an example, try to search for awards from WLG-MEL. BA doesn't know about any awards from WLG even though QF has them.

14. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess that I should have been more specific in the response. The question was asked if AA released just saver award or anytime award space to BA. I was answering for AA space only, not other airlines.

15. Candy C

Candy C Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi. Bearing in mind of course that the BA site can be a little "quirky" at times and doesnt always display full availability. Sometimes, just searching again, particularly for BA flights, will produce differing results.