I'm now exclusively on MP

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by airshadow, Mar 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've decided to post exclusively on MP.

I will continue to visit all my regular sites and lurk on a few others, but when it comes to contributing, this is my new home. Anyone else?

2. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm 95% there

3. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been 100% since I started. I still read one section of FT but only post here.

4. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am still on two sites.

Tim O'Brien, Gaucho, Tenmoc and 4 others like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely not.

There's no rational reason to artificially limit my ability to interact with like-minded folks and learn as much as possible about a topic/industry that presents so many opportunities to learn.

6. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    And that's an excellent point. For me, it has to do with tone. What I love about MP is respect for all opinions, which I think we've both shown. Case in point, your response was not an attack on me, but rather what works for you. Thank you!

PS - Boarding Area is one of my definite daily visits - thanks for your great blog!

Tim O'Brien, PAinNY, gleff and 6 others like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Give it time. Many of the usual suspects have already started up over here and there isn't nearly the same level of oversight of the conversations which lets many "discussions" get out of hand too quickly. I'm hoping it'll get better as they transition from launching to operating the site, but right now I still see lots of sniping and snarking. The total volume of traffic is lower which helps, but I'm not as convinced that simply telling people to be nice will be successful in the long run.

You're welcome, and thanks! :D

Tim O'Brien, lili, airshadow and 2 others like this.
  8. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it would be more accurate to say I continue on being completely out of control.:D

9. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since I joined MP, I have actually posted more on FT than I did in the past. I am much more active here but do not see it as competition. My goal is to contribute where ever I can and not limit myself to certain sites. I have received value from both sites and feel the need to return value when possible.

10. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    To me, both boards have positive things so I visit and post on both boards. My tendency is to post more here because I know it is adding to the knowledge base more than it is in FT. FT has a lot of history and information that MP does not have (yet). Give it time and the data will be here too.

I am concerned, like others have said, that the friendly atmosphere that has been here will go away with more people becoming members. That is one thing I HATE to see.

11. corster
    Original Member

corster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like this site better, but I still post on the other one.

Then again, I don't post much on either. :p

12. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I probably post once or twice a week on FT now- mostly if I see a question I can answer easily. But I am no longer engaged there. It's still useful for research, but here is where I am getting to know people, making friends and having lots of fun.
    I joined MP on Feb. 9, fairly early in the Beta phase. So, I've seen 3 weeks of MP in Beta and 3 weeks public. I would say that the tone of MP has gotten even better, even as many thousands of people have joined. MP had about 2000 members when I joined and now has 18000.
    When I see a new person post, I will try to make them feel welcome, answer a question or at least give them a like.
    So, if you want to see MP stay friendly and engaging, then be friendly and engaging with people. There's no way to connect with 18000, but you can connect with a few.

Tim O'Brien, catgirl, Toula and 7 others like this.
  13. I haven't been to FT since MP launched. Nothing against FT, but I do like the new/fresh software running the boards here. Also, I had grown tired of some of the sarcastic responses from members. Sure, there are tons of great members there, but at least on the AA board (where I spent most of my time) I felt like I was attacked on numerous occasions and saw other people attacked.

I visit a few message boards for various interests of mine, and each has their own personality. I like the feel here at MP and hope it will stay this way. I just don't have time for 2 travel boards (crazy, I know!), so for now, it's all MP, all the time.

Tim O'Brien, savydog, PAinNY and 3 others like this.
  14. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I have one reason. :D

15. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I also visit both places, but my FT visits have gone down dramatically.

Maybe a better mix of members will make the site more friendlier? Milepoint has decided to market outside of the entrenched culture of FT and will continue to do so in the future.

Of course, the bigger the place becomes, the harder it will be to keep it a nice place, but with the guide system and a great base of original, friendly members, I think we have a great shot at being a friendly place to hang out and the usual suspects will find it harder to be snarky with a good foundation like we see already today with almost 20k members. Many cool things right around the corner for sure, all with keeping this place friendly in mind.

Time will tell..

16. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've spent much more time here than FT. FT has become secondary to me at this point and to be honest only ever posted here-and-there on FT anyway.

17. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me MP is mostly chatter still. I believe it will get better but fear that without controls the bad elements from Flyertalk will make it their home and pull it down. If that happens it will be sad.

That said, I am spending time here with the goal of being helpful. For a while when I need help I will cross post with Flyertalk.

Freedom can be good if not abused. Let's strive to keep MP free and discussions laced with kindness and filled with useful information.

If you have not yet joined KIVA, check it out. The MP team needs more members and this is a chance to do a lot of good on a minimum investment. Check out the KIVA thread at http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/milepoint-lending-team-on-kiva-org.2185.

Tim O'Brien, Toula and airshadow like this.
  18. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not by a longshot. If I were to do tha I would be up the creek without a paddle. Posted a question about El Al on March 8 and still no answer. Posted it in FlyerTalk today since I actually want an answer and expect I'll get ine there. Anyway, there is no merit for using one or the other or both.

joanek, craz, airshadow and 2 others like this.
  19. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I appreciate each and every post on this thread. Thanks!

Chimpy and Tim O'Brien like this.
  20. GVA380
    Original Member

GVA380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    99,9% here :)

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  21. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen this already, also, particularly in the airline-specific forums. The Travel Security forum is a LOT tamer than the FT one, however!

22. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I have also noticed that a few of the usual suspects from FT are already here but I choose not to engage with them. I only hope that some of the fanatics from TS & S don't start up on this board, too... a couple of them appear to be obsessed with this particular topic and have taken discussions about security to a whole new (low) level. (Now ducking my head and waiting for the boos and hisses! ;))

Chimpy, savydog and mcruiser like this.
  23. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am mostly on MP, though I still use FT and occasionally post there. I find MP to be an easier user interface to navigate and I have status with them, so free upgrades right;)

Tim O'Brien and savydog like this.
  24. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    yep for now at least till MP grows enough , I will be by both but mostly posting by helping answer others questions on FT

But in a way its like BFT & BB when BB started out thats where everyone wanted to be but all the good info was on BFT, so many used BFT to do their homework and then post and use the links on BB, till such time that BB was standing on its own 2 feet with enough info, but I still find from time to time to look at BFT.

FT is loaded with trip reports and destination info that will take years till its on MP, why should I ask on MP about the cheapest or fastest or safest way between say NRT and the Conrad when that info is easy to be found on FT. Or which *W Hotel in Fort Lauderdale the info is gotten 1-2-3 on FT eventually hopefully it will find its way to MP but for now FT is a very valuable tool/site

btw another great pt for now at least is FT has Coupon Connection I imagine that MP does also but as of yet I havent been privileged to know the secret handshake or passwords in order to have access

savydog likes this.
  25. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not ready to commit! FT is like the fast and easy one where I can get the goods, while MP is the one I feel I can establish a relationship with for the long term. So far, MP is much nicer but I worry whether she can commit the content I need to keep me interested.

Oh, were talking about travel fora.....:p

In that case - I'm not ready to commit! :D MP still has to grow to the point where questions get answered as fast as it does on FT - then it can compete. The layout and culture of being a community are here (not that the latter does not exist on FT also). Until I feel I cannot contribute and acquire in an meaningful way (from MP or FT), I will likely post and read from both.