I'm losing Gold, should I be sad?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MalcoveMagnesia, Feb 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
    I started off as a SPG Gold member I think based on my NWA status, and then for the past couple years I earned SPG Gold the "hard" way (via 10+ stays per year).

But compared to HHonors Gold or even Marriott Silver, the benefits for SPG Gold seemed really -- well -- non-existent. The rare meaningful "upgrades" during a stay were truly unexpected and happy surprises.

So last year I think I only did two Starwood visits in total, which means I'll be dropping back to "Preferred Plus" or whatever slightly elevated level AAA members get.

Seeing the new "benefits" makes me a little bit bummed, but then again, judging from past non-experiences, should I really be sad I'm losing Gold status? I'm doing a stay at W Santiago in a few weeks and I don't know what to expect there with basic non-status, even though we'll be dropping between $1K - $2K in spend.

uggboy, CharlesG, Toula and 3 others like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    seeing as you don't stay at SPG often anyways, I'd say no.

I know this is blasphemy on this board but there is a great freedom that comes from not being tied into a specific hotel loyalty program(s). There are places where the chain hotel isn't located or if it is, it isn't in the best location, plus there is oftentimes a premium paid for staying a chain vrs independent.

I've gone back & forth between being loyal to a program(s) and not, both have strong pros/cons. So enjoy the pros of not being tied to a program!

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have to admit, it can be liberating not to tied to a program, unless it's one with strong and consistent benefits. Not many are at the GOLD level.

uggboy, CharlesG, Toula and 2 others like this.
  4. Jeanne23

Jeanne23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was sad when I lost Starwood Gold, but only because I prefer staying there. I think your analysis is correct--there isn't too much to the Starwood benefits, so you should only be sad if you are already planning on staying there a lot and want the stays to be a little nicer.

YULtide, uggboy and CharlesG like this.
  5. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't worry about it, you will find life goes on when you have no status on any programs. Not having status means never being disappointed when you get what you pay for.

uggboy and CharlesG like this.
  6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sad? Why this is wrist-slitting territory!

Seriously, with AAA preferred-plus, don't you get 4pm checkout? That (IMnshO) is the biggest perk of Gold to date. This changes just a bit with the new benefits that are about to commence.

uggboy, Jeanne23, Gaucho and 2 others like this.
  7. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree with what most are saying. I stay at a Starwood property somewhere between 11-15 times a year, so I've been Gold since forever, but if you're not staying much, you won't miss much. Sure, the new benefits add some value, but by and large, it is somewhat inconsistent (although I have to say, my last stay at the SF Le Meridien I got upgraded to a suite, quite unexpectedly!) what level of perks you will get at any given hotel. That said, I have had better luck at the higher end properties (The W Westwood treats Golds very well) -- but some of that I suspect is that better properties just have better customer service. So I bet you'll be just fine at the W Santiago, free cocktail or not!

8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dont you get a slight points bonus for Gold status....?

uggboy likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure why it should be "blasphemous" for an individual to have more than one loyalty if (a) they can afford to and (b) it fits their lifestyle or travel pattern. I have Gold status with SPG, which I got through AMEX when I was already an HH Diamond, and, speaking for myself, I would fail to requalify my HH Diamond status if I split my loyalty between HH and SPG. Therefore, I will feel nothing when my complimentary SPG Gold status expires, as I have had very little use for it. The decision about which program to stick with is a no-brainer for me because (a) I would fail to reach top elite if I "serve two masters at the same time", and, importantly, (b) Hilton is ubiquitous in all the places where I like to travel (Asia) and I have been treated very, very well as a HH Diamond...

uggboy and CharlesG like this.
  10. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, 3 points per dollar vs. 2 for Preferred.

uggboy likes this.
  11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I didn't word my statement well, I intended to mean that that there are compelling pros NOT be a member of hotel loyalty programs, and vv.

uggboy likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I simply tried to show a case, mine, where picking just one program and sticking with it keeps me from spreading my elite qualifying points around, thereby allowing me to retain top elite status year after year to keep reaping the benefits. It is the same thing with flying -- I pick one FF program and stick with it to keep re-qualifying for top elite status and getting the benefits that come with it, which is what it is all about, I think. Fortunately, the programs that I picked happen to be ubiquitous in the realm of my activities: HH is well represented worldwide, and with the merging of UA and CO plus their membership in *A, virtually every corner of the world is accessible to me relatively painlessly.

But, if there are those who can afford to spread their loyalty, more power to them...

uggboy likes this.