I'm in a miles predicament, anyone can help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by r0m8470, Jun 1, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I'm kinda in a miles predicament. I am wondering if anyone can help or offer suggestion.

I booked an award ticket, using my UA miles, for my wife. The destination is ICN with stop over in CDG. That portion is fine. On the way back, her ticket has an open jaw, so she will go home to SEA from SUB originally (SUB-SIN-NRT-SEA). We have an unexpected change of plan, she will not use the SUB-SIN segment, instead it will need to be just SIN-NRT-SEA.

There is no inventory anymore for saver ticket through UA around mid Aug. I looked, have not exhausted all possible itineraries but quite close. I have yet to find any saver inventory for SIN to SEA through the usual hubs.

Does UA allow changing the itinerary and remove the SUB-SIN portion and keep the rest? I don't mind paying the change fee.

One more thing - current award ticket is in business class all the way from SUB to SEA. SUB-SIN in SQ, the rest in ANA.

Newscience likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to drop a segment without needing "new" inventory just to keep the other existing segments. There will be a change fee depending on the account from which the miles were taken. Just call in and explain you need to remove only the one segment and it should be fine. You might even get a few dollars back in lower taxes.

3. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I called like you suggested. The SUB-SIN segment is dropped, the rest of the itinerary stays the same. Got assessed $100 change fee, since I am a regular UA member w no Elite status. I did not argue the fee. Wife happy, I'm happy ... :)

4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now please tell everyone about your Great Experience with United, they are a great airline.

They deserve some decent press.

United has been good to me a lot of years...

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

6. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say that UA has a very good search engine for award flight, since I think it's close to all encompassing of their alliance and non-alliance partners, with exception of SQ. We do have to piece the segments together on some crazy itineraries, but that's part of the fun for us mile-junkies I think.

Before the call, in anticipation of having to rebook, I put together these options:
    SIN-BKK-FRA-YYZ-DEN (Thai and AC)
    SIN-IST-ZRH-YYZ-DEN (Turkish and AC)
    SIN-PEK-NRT/HND-SFO (on Air China and UA Global First)
    SIN-PVG-VIE-ZRH-YYZ-DEN (on Austrian and AC)
    SIN-TPE-IST-YYZ-DEN (on EVA, Turkish and AC)

I was ready to book DEN-SEA using my SW RR points. Their partners are also quite generous w award space - at least relative to OneWorld and SkyTeam.

Another note, I spotted some HND-SFO on UA Global First (not business) that are bookable online mid Aug, and it cost only 80K UA miles. I thought that was good - since ow on partner airlines in business class cost 80K.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015