I'm free. No more mileage running thanks to being MM on UA

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by dhammer53, Jan 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that I'm UA MM (Million Miler), I no longer have to do mileage runs to insure that I make status.

The only time I run is when I'm on a business trip and have the extra day to do it. Hours would be spent looking at various itns to see where I could fly to maximize my mileage earning at an affordable price. Oh, and by the way, affordable price is an oxymoron these days. I remember a time I flew EWR/SFO/NRT stop SFO stop EWR for $500. NYC/SFO was running $450 at the time. Who could refuse. ;) If something like that popped up again, I'd grab it, but those days are gone. And as long as I'm walking down memory lane, who can forget $800 fares NYC/SIN. Don't get me started. :D

Goodbye mileage runs. My only problem with this new strategy, I have to look for hotels in San Francisco. Forgive me, but I'm use to sleeping on planes. :D

2. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yay, Good luck and have fun and enjoy. It took work to get there too.;):cool: Enjoy. Sleeping on a plane? Tell me your secret. Heheh.

zpaul likes this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How are you going to build up miles for spectacular international trips without some mileage runs in there?

Tom just back from an overnight MR on AA to ORD, with many more to go

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Incidentally, now that I appear to be just 150k BIS miles from MM status, I actually feel the desire to get it over with ASAP...

From the official discounter of *A premium seats, US Airways and their promos/mileage purchases? :D

Actually, what I might do is continue to fly mostly revenue and use the miles for my wife. Today I have to spend $$$ for both of us to maintain status. If I reach Plat or 1K, we both get that status. But there will be years where our flying pattern may just not lead us to spend a lot of time on *A, and that's okay as we won't lose status.

hulagrrl210 and zpaul like this.
  5. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to credit all my CO flights to NW, so I'm not even close. I am 150k away from DL MM, but just can't get excited about giving DL money.

zpaul likes this.
  6. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Should you not be running for 2MM?

zpaul, javacodeguy and Jimgotkp like this.
  7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lifetime GS is calling for you.... :p :D

8. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are you going to do with your free time!!

zpaul likes this.
  9. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I first went on the road, I would do day trips. If in LA, I'd drive to PSP/SBA/SAN etc etc. When in SFO, I'd head up to Napa or down to MRY. Looks like I'll start re-exploring places that I haven't seen in years. :D

dh

SC Flier and zpaul like this.
  10. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't you heard of credit card sign-up bonus'? ;)
    Check out www.frugaltravelguy.com and www.thepointsguy.com for interesting ways to earn miles.

I'm covered for a minimum of 2 - 3 years. :cool:

11. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mazel tov. And you will enjoy the wine when you are around SFO much better than that you would have "enjoyed" on the plane.

zpaul likes this.
  12. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem I have with a good many credit card offers is that I can't meet the minimum spend (two I just received from AA/Citi require $3,000 in 4 months or $2,500 in 3 months). That eliminates me from a lot of the offers that are out there. I did get a UA Visa in August (50,000 miles with no minimum spend), but stopped using it in September when they announced the program changes. I could buy gift cards to meet the minimum spend but the downside there is I'd have no activity on my credit cards while I'm trying to burn off gift cards, and I really don't want to accrue a stack of gift cards from a dozen different merchants and remember to use them.

How do you work around not having elite status on non-Star Alliance, though? Aren't you going to pay baggage fees and preferred seating fees on those? I know if I fly Delta I'd be hit with those types of fees as I have no status with them.

13. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's always going to be the case, unless you have status with everyone.

Don't check a bag and sit in a "peon" seat, or pay whatever fees you want to benefit from. If you fly a particular airline enough and will benefit, get a credit card that gives almost as many perks as low-tier status.

14. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's why I'm aiming for lifetime status on more than one alliance (1 achieved a few years ago, 2nd is currently 33% there).

canucklehead likes this.
  15. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget to get the Southwest credit card. Just 1 purchase yields you 50,000 miles for the cost of $69. (I think).

If/when I make the jump to another carrier, I'll have to suffer in the back.

FYI, over on the Status Matching thread on Flyertalk, Alaska will comp UA PremEx status. Just in case you don't remember, Alaska and AA are in bed together. ;) That's a backdoor way to get bonus miles. The only negative is that AA doesn't waive bag fees... but who checks bags. :p

SC Flier and canucklehead like this.
  16. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thats OK, you're in denial....its the first step....You'll be back! :)

17. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats! Either start on 2MM, or start 1MM on a different carrier! The game goes on.

18. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    you beat me to it Tom !!:D

while I too was about to declare myself free from mileage runs, along comes AA's stackable promos, just too good to pass up !! I've got 3 runs this week on AA.

19. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you moving over from UA? I'm still working on Dan. :D

20. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just booked my next trip on UA. They were $50 less expensive than AA. :mad:

SC Flier likes this.