I'm excited to see where this site goes - let me mention what will keep me here

Discussion in 'Talk To Me' started by Mike1625, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Randy,

First, thank you for all you do. I mentioned before (and I don't expect you to remember it) that my life - and I mean my whole life - is better off as a result of information that I got from websites you have started.

I signed up the first day I heard about this site (and want "original member designation - wink wink") because of your name behind it, then when I got here I found many people who I have respected on other sites and blogs here as well.

Here is what I offer - always polite, warm, friendly posts. My willingness to share any information I have for the betterment of the community. An active role in keeping up with topics of interest.

Here is what I want from a site that will compete with flyertalk for my time - (assuming both sites have similar information ... if the best information is always at one place, that site will win ... and I know that I can't make that judgement until a base of information is built up here). I want to feel like information is available to me, and not just a group of friends who talk in code and share deals among themselves.

For example, I usually pay for domestic tickets and use miles to fly internationally. When good deals come up that may benefit me to buy an international ticket I don't want to be told to read 200 pages on how to fuel dump on the ticket. I want to be able to ask a question in someone else's area of expertise and get an answer - knowing that I am a pass it on sort of person, who may never help the person who helped me, but I will in turn help someone else. I don't want to read about a meeting in chicago that if I attend I learn secrets, but if I can't make it, then I am out in the cold.

I want to offer all of what I have to the community and feel for the most part the community has offered what it has to me.

Mike

2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think you've picked up on what many of us are hoping for here. It does get difficult to balance between F.A.Q.'s, stickies, making clear info available, having a question asked for the 30th time, and giving warm welcomes and helpful, friendly guidance. I've got a feeling Randy et. Co. have been studying this issue for quite a while, and are trying to build a good solution. Suggestions like yours, and participation from folks with your attitude, will definitely help make this a unique place.

3. Unicorn
    Original Member

Unicorn Active Member

Status Points:
    Nice post Mike. I like your avatar, Rockie isn't it?

Mike1625 likes this.
  4. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You got it, Rocky - (the Bull) - USF's mascot

5. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    This is all we ever want and with this in mind, I return the same and pledge to work toward this goal for every member. Thanks for the compliments, you are far too kind—but it sure does feel good to hear those things ... pass it on.

rajuabju likes this.
  6. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Mike sentiment about there are secret inner cycle in FT, if you are not part of it you will never get the info. however we also need to balance it out between who is here to contribute and benefit or just take advantage of the system.

Randy had a great idea of having Amb program in FT and these Amb are very good in giving out info to the newbies as well oldies. Hope we see that program here.

Gargoyle, kiwi and Mike1625 like this.
  7. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if there's a way to encourage each of us to be 'everyday ambassadors'. I can tell that each poster on this thread already is, but perhaps within this new "incentive for participation" structure at MP it can be somehow quantified/rewarded?

8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that is the idea behind status levels on MP and how likes contribute to earning MP status.

Kaanapali likes this.
  9. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the lack of snarkiness. I serve as a mentor to new gardeners at our community garden, I enjoy sharing my wisdom and experience about what works and doesn't always work based on my experience with the garden's soil and microclimate. I would like to see the same thing being cultivated (hah!) at MP. I also love learning from others, so this is great for me. A new garden, hopefully without a lot of noxious weeds is how I see MP right now, we just need to keep the momentum going.

flyingdawg and Kaanapali like this.
  10. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is the most important thing to building a community - being helpful and not judgmental, sharing experiences and reading/learning from others' experiences, without any sense of - as you say - snarkiness.

Travelman likes this.
  11. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you come to my house? [​IMG]

I agree with this statement as a consumer of information. Unfortunately, I've already started to see some snarkiness appear from some members that are just continuing their (old) ways. (You ever get the feeling that you want to just reach through the interwebs, slap someone, and tell the to shut up or go home?[​IMG]) Snarkiness is good humor is one thing; snarkiness just to be negative is totally unacceptable.

I was hoping that I wouldn't need an "ignore poster" function here, but I am ready to use it when implemented.[​IMG]

Lalala likes this.