I'm annoyed, hotels saying concerned about Sandy, but asking...

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by estnet, Nov 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    customers to donate.

I just got an email from Marriott saying how concerned they are about victims of Sandy and telling me how I can donate points to help these people.

Yes, I know there are lots of ways I can help. If Marriott wants to help why don't they send me an email telling me how many room/nights they have donated to those in need.

Somehow this just strikes me wrong, many other programs have asked people to help and offered (maybe just a token, but still) a small incentive for doing so. Sending a message that you care, your employees are donating, giving blood, but you offer nothing from the organizati9on.... but ask your customers to demonstrate care without even a token from your own corporate coffers just doesn't ring true.

"Our hearts go out to the millions of people and the communities impacted by Hurricane Sandy. Marriott® is an ongoing supporter of the American Red Cross and we are designating part of our contributions to the American Red Cross International Response Fund toward Hurricane Sandy relief. Our associates are also supporting our efforts through their own donations, including participation in blood drives.

As a Marriott Rewards® member, you can donate points online to support the American Red Cross disaster relief efforts. Each year, members give millions of points to charitable organizations, making a significant contribution to the global community."

Together, we can show our support during this critical time. I thank you for your consideration. "

Aktchi, MX and Kalboz like this.
  2. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. I figure when I give charitable donations, I will do it my way
    and not have some other enterprise tell me how and get the credit.

estnet likes this.
  3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's nothing wrong with what they're doing, but we make ours directly and have a corporation match them.

DTWBOB

Kalboz likes this.
  4. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fully agree with OP's sentiments. It has become another corporate habit to show concern for a cause with other people's money. Even without major disasters, different stores are increasingly asking me at checkout if I would like to donate a few dollars to this cause or that. I always respond with "yes if"--- if, having much greater resources, they would match at something like 5x. The cashier usually looks flustered at which point I tell him/her that I'll take care of my donations on my own.

violist, estnet and Kalboz like this.
  5. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you want to know how some IHG hotels were "helping"? By asking $499 a night and a crappy Staybridge in NYC! "Our rate for this night is $499" was their response. And this is for a hotel that doesn't go above $200 on any given day.

estnet and Kalboz like this.
  6. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly! I've just been in NYC for a week and gouged due to locals wihout power needing hotels. How did the hotels respond? By putting the rates up of course.

foxberg and estnet like this.
  7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    AMEN. I make my own donations and I am really tired of the hypocrisy of the corporations. I esp. don't like Starwoods stance of adding a "donation" to every stay (although all the hotels where I am a regular seem to have it in their system that I have "opted out").
    It's getting so bad that I (almost) wish there was a law against large corporations pushing their customers to donate. I am also very concerned about how much of the donated money actually gets to the organization - do they deduct some kind of "processing or administrative" charge. Does anyone look at or regulate this?

foxberg likes this.