I'm also a newbie.

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by timothyy7, Aug 7, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. timothyy7

timothyy7 New Member

Status Points:
    I just finish traveling for the 1st time to South Korea from NY with a layover in Dubai. Went with 3 of my friends, had probably one of the best times ever. Stayed for 29 days. Made tons of friends, met new people. Went to the top of the tallest building in the world (Burj Khalifa). Had withdrawals coming back to NY. I wish to go again but NY to Korea is literally on the opposite sides of the world making flying one of the longest flights in general thus costing A LOT of money. Being a newbie i actually watched price fluctuations on some flight sites. i ended up buying my round trip economy ticket from Justfly.com for about $1,240.00 USD (Usual price from NY to SK = $1,500 - $2,000). so yeah i saved some hundreds. But it would be even better if i saved 100%! That's where i found out from Bryce Conway in his site getfreeflights.com and i also finish reading his book about travel hacking. I've learned so much over the course of 2 days because who wouldn't want to travel for free? I figured it was too good to be true until I've seen other travel hackers and their evidence. If i could make travel hacking a career i would consider doing so. So this is something i am want to be serious about, because i'm passionate about traveling and saving up money for expensive round trips was the only thing stopping me! From now on i wish to commit. If anyone would like to give me some advice and tips of where to start from YOUR POV, please comment away! i am open minded enough at this point to learn more!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    satman40 likes this.
  2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never heard of ,getfreeflight, must be a new site, have to check it won't,

Every time I am at the airport amazed, must be a lot of people out there, looking down from the sky makes us all appreciate the world more

daninstl likes this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome ... not sure what the question was or what POV you wanted so you might want to be more specific.

Also "travel hack"er/ing is a term that I personally do not agree with as this is not hacking or exploiting anything. (well for the most part)

4. timothyy7

timothyy7 New Member

Status Points:
    Well its not too of much of a question, just an intro on my part and any tips to start off. Once again i'm just a beginner at this, currently still learning. However i do have a question:
    Not knowing too much about credit cards, how does reward credit cards work? I know that if you spend a certain amount within a specific number of months to meet the requirements to finally earn the big points. But i was also told that spending the minimum shouldn't cost me a penny out of my pocket and i know this is called manufacture spending. I'm not too clear how manufacture spending works, so what i am guessing, is that if i use my credit card that involved with the rewards program, would i immediate get back points to cover what i spent? so if i spent $50 today, i would get back credit to cover those points when it's time to pay my credit? thus not spending any of my own personal money? To me this seems way too good to be true. It's literally getting free stuff as well as earning points/miles.

satman40 likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have not yet checked out his site, I think that you may begin at Ben Schlappig's (aka Lucky) site called One Mile at a Time . Ben was recently featured in Rolling Stone. I urge you to read his subsequent reaction to the Stone piece for some perspective about making "travel hacking" a career.

One thing I can tell you for sure is that, like free lunch, there is no such thing as "free travel". Just ask Lucky, who was featured as having traveled around the world 16 times...for free! ;)

Welcome to MilePoint and good luck!

satman40 and edekba like this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    You put your daily spend on credit cards that earns rewards. CC earn money from the funds transfers (x% of the transaction) and use those funds to reward you to put more spend on their cards. Example: You swipe at bestbuy for $10. Visa gets 2%, Credit Card gets 2%, you get 1% in the form of a reward point/mile.

You're getting in way over your head ... If you got credit to cover those points then those points you earned is actually worth nothing. Its when you get points for literally nothing. As such MS methods are usually closely guarded secrets. I don't really dive into MS and have done so only a few times when i needed to meet a minimum spending requirements & only when it was easy. There are supposedly private forums/email groups that really go into this and experiment with new ways and methods.

But tl;dr is you "spend" money somewhere, get the points and then redirect the "spent" money to a different place to pay the initial spend. A few examples would've been Amazon payments, where you paid someone up to $1000 a month, kept the points, and then had that person withdraw and pay you back the $1000 you "spent." Or order coins from US Mint with credit card, keep the points, take coins to bank to be deposited and pay off your credit card. Rinse/repeat until you get caught or the method is no longer available.

p.s.
    I just went to getfreeflights com and he talks about MS there ... even has step by step instructions with pictures on how he went to Thailand for $300 ....

I dont really understand why he does his site. Not a lot of ads, not a lot of affiliate links, why does he feel the need to brag & kill things like redbird.

Good luck.

satman40 likes this.
  7. timothyy7

timothyy7 New Member

Status Points:
    Okay i understand now. Im assuming the amazon payment method doesnt work anymore. Is there any other methods that are out there other than the regular daily spend? I also read somewhere that redbird is coming to an end. but bluebird is still one of today's methods.

satman40 likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/

Enjoy!

:)

satman40 likes this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting miles, is like making money, very few are in the top 1%,

It is something you need to do everyday, and even then you still miss some easy miles. They are everywhere, and yet most people seem to say working is not for me..

Most of us do not work at it, it is just a game, a way of life, a hobby.

Pay the CC in full ever month, that is how they get you..,,

There are a million stories, and a million miles out there...just like success in life, it just takes a little bit of effort.