I'm a Tired Diamond

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Dreamworks, Dec 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey all,

First post. I am checking you guys out after spending most of my time on FT. So, here's my issue. I'm an HHonors Diamond, and yet when I visit Hilton properties, you wouldn't know it. Tonight I'm at the ES in Center City, Philly. The hotel is 28 floors. I get put on the 3rd floor in a handicapped room with a view of the HVAC units on top of TGI Friday's. So I go downstairs and complain and they give me a room on 26 with a nice view and a sink that doesn't give me a hump.

But I'm tired of going to complain and getting a better room. I want the better room the first time. I know that the hotel isn't filled with other Diamonds. It's my problem with Hertz. As a 5 Star member, I walk to my stall and find a Toyota Yaris. So I walk back and explain I get an upgrade. And then they give me an Impala or G6 or whatever. But why the hell didn't they give me that car before I had to walk all over the garage.

I think next year I'm checking out Starwood. I've noticed that even as a Gold I get recognized and put in what seem to be nice rooms.

2. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint!

I dont have an extensive array of elite statuses like some of the members here and on FT, but I have found Hyatt Diamond to be the most consistent in terms of delivering on elite benefits. I am SPG Platinum as well, mostly because I love their properties, and the fact that they have many more non-cookie-cutter (e.g. Luxury Collection) and aspirational properties.

I share your experience with upgrades with Hertz. I have found National to deliver much better in that respect. I believe you can get your status matched there.

uggboy, IDGflygirl and tomphot like this.
  3. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I must have been Dreamworks in another life. I would say, about a third of the time I'm the poor sod driving a little wind-up Kia from Hertz to a full-service Hilton, where I'm then given a room with two beds on the third floor with a view of a wall, and located next to the ice machine or worker's elevator.

OceanBreezes, 2soonold and tomphot like this.
  4. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a new HY Diamond, but so far, I've found the high-end treatment and acknowledgement of status to be consistently good. The challenge, of course, is that the Hyatt footprint is much smaller than Hilton, Marriott, Starwood.

I am also SPG Gold, and I do like their program, though I will say that I don't feel particularly special as a Gold. Maybe top-tier is different.

Good luck with your choice, and hope that you receive better service, whatever you decide.

uggboy and tomphot like this.
  5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got amazing treatment recently as a Hyatt Platinum. Basically they couldn't put me on the top floor because that's for the Club/Diamond guests, but they put me one floor below. Gave me a room as far from the elevator as possible to avoid noise (it was not a long hallway), yet not all the way at the end because I would have been stuck next to housekeeping. I was told to charge however many internet device connections to the room and they'd take all of them off the bill, and the internet actually worked. Newspaper and everything, every day, and they remembered my name in the lobby.

I'm sure the Diamond people are used to more, but as someone who until recently never had hotel status, it was a noticeable improvement.

catgirl, PointHoarder, uggboy and 4 others like this.
  6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is no question that Hilton typically does a poor job of recognizing and rewarding their top tier elite members. I have found being a top tier at SPG and Hyatt to be far better and would not hesitate to send my business their way when promotions, locations and corporate rates are appropriate.

7. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Diamond recognition is pretty hit or miss at check-in. I'd say 70% of the time, I just get given water and maybe thanked for being an HHonors member.

This year, I have found hotels to be very generous when reaching out before my stay to either ask for an upgrade or simply ask a question. For instance, in 2011, I received the following free confirmed upgrades prior to my stay just for emailing the hotel:
    • A suite on Valentines Day at the Hilton in Boston.
    • A junior suite, wine, cheese, and fruit at the Hilton San Francisco Union Square on my birthday weekend.
    • An Astoria suite at the Roosevelt (a W-A) in New Orleans simply for emailing the GM and asking which rooms had bath tubs.
    I've also received 2 suite upgrades at check-in. Oddly enough, at neither property did the front desk mention it, so I only found out when I opened the door.

uggboy, jmrich1432, cennas and 2 others like this.
  8. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if this is always status recognition, but I often do not get charged when I get Diet Cokes from Hamptons or HGIs, either at checkin or just throughout my stay.

My On Property Benefit is set for points, so I don't know if they're giving me both. Either way, I appreciate it when it happens.

uggboy and YULtide like this.
  9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed, I'm tired of carrying around a copy of the HHonors T&Cs to educate clueless front desk staff (& sometimes even management).

As an IHG RA, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hyatt has by far treated me the best, hands down, the other chains pale in comparison. As jetsetr mentions, just make sure that Hyatt fits your travel footprint as they do not have the # of properties as the big guys.

As for rental cars, I'd highly urge you to check out National, out of all my travel programs (hotel, air, car), National gives me the most satisfaction.

DCA Rob, uggboy, HiIslands and 7 others like this.
  10. tomphot

tomphot Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think in general there is a lack of thought when room assignments are picked. I have had the same issues with rooms right next to the elevator shaft or next to the singing of the door opening etc.
    I rarely get to my room at HI and water in it.

All that being said, I've been a HH member since '87 and a Diamond since the program started. I will continue to stay with Hilton. I use all of points on overseas stays and I really like the treatment I get. The lounge access, occasional upgrade, food spreads and free drinks are it takes to keep me with HH.

11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am unable to make the tenuous connection between Hertz and HH so I best not comment. :)

I will say first off if you think SPG Gold is better than HH Diamond then I suggest you are indeed overworked.
    As a HH Diamond I really have no complaints about my treament. The great majority of my stays booked are low rate AAA or MVP bookings for domestic or awards on International stays and I get upgraded about 95% of the time (lounge access 100%) I can even remember the last time I found it necessary to go back tothe front desk to ask for a better room.
    I guess it depends on your stay pattern with the variation much more pronounced domestic vs International.

Hey I would never discourage anyone for sellecting a lodging chain where they feel (or think they will be) they are better treated.
    Overall SPG has a larger portfolio of very nice International properties but since the OP seems to be talking about US hotels.... give me a newish HGI which are available in far more locations and nicer than SPGs generally mediocre Sheratons anytime... at least I know exactly what I booked and what I am going to get.

uggboy likes this.
  12. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton is an absolute joke when it comes to top-tier benefits. I'm a Diamond who will drop to Silver in 2012 (sometimes you just can't avoid them) and am a Plat and then some at SPG.

SPG isn't perfect, but they are consistently better than Hilton in almost every way. Also agree that Hyatt has a great program, but their portfolio is limited comparatively.

Don't look back.

uggboy, Toula and Sweet Willie like this.
  13. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    My opinion of Gold at SPG is that it is hardly worth the toilet paper in the room. Platinum I hear is much better but only have experience being SPG Gold and Hilton Diamond.

I am tired of Hilton Diamond in many cases, but to say SPG Gold is worth more than HH Diamond is not accurate.

I have seen every chain treat top end guests poorly. Even Hyatt.

My advise. Try out a new chain if that is what will work for you. Sometimes just be different is enough to make you feel better about your spend.

uggboy, HiIslands and Toula like this.
  14. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would be careful what you wish for.... I am a HH Diamond and an SPG Plt [also Hyatt Diamond and PC Ambassador] and you'll be fighting for your benefits at SPG as much as your are at HH. Check out some of the suite upgrade and/or resort fee threads here [?] and especially on FT. One example, the Plt benefit for paying the resort fee at the Royal Hawaiian in HNL was one (1) lunch per day. Not 2 on one day or any number of meal vouchers, but one lunch per day - how exactly is that supposed to work with 2 people in a room? And lunch b/w specified hours on a resort island? Who is sitting around in Hawaii waiting for lunch to be served? Look around, you'll see a lot of SPG benie complaints. Notwithstanding the suite and resort issues, I do like some of the one off SPG hotels, such as the Kemp in HEL and the Goldner Hirsch in SZG. These types of hotels really aren't found in other chains - are they? And SPG points, to me, are more valuable than most other hotel points.

When I do have a choice, I stay at a Hyatt. Best service around - one problem being that the service at the top end is so good that on the occasion of subpar service [PH PVG where the manager had no clue about what best room available meant], it really stings. Not that the problems aren't fixed or addressed, it's just that expectations remain high all the time and problems seem larger than they really are [my PH PVG was great even though it wasn't the best available]. Is this is really something to complain about though???. The other problem being the limited number of hotels. As mentioned above, it's tough to be a Hyatt regular when there isn't one in your neighborhood.

There is also PC. While given away likes crabs in a whorehouse, PC points really do have value. The points and cash deals can't be beat - 30K and $60 for the IC London. Beat that deal! 30K can probably be had in one night at a HIX with a bunch of promos tagged on. Plus, as an Ambassador, I've been treated great at ICs in DC, London, Berlin and Paris. And there are upgrades for Ambassadors - RAs even better. While the Ambassador upgrade may be from an east facing window to a west facing window, the upgrade may also may be akin to the HUGE room I was upgraded to at the IC Willard in DC on an award stay. YMMV. Also, as a PC Plt, the benies at European CPs are great. Free drinks in the lounge at the CP CPH saved half the cost of the trip [ie, booze is expensive in Denmark].

Choose wisely!

15. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to try reaching out to the property before my next stay and see what happens. Thanks for the tip, I had a question for the property anyways!

uggboy and Toula like this.
  16. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    All this in addition to having to check for bedbugs.:eek:

thegrailer and uggboy like this.
  17. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dreamworks, I sympathize and agree with you. As a Diamond member, in the last two months alone, I've been given rooms at the Pasadena Hilton and the Tokyo Conrad that were far, far from what I requested. I didn't even have high floor/view requests honored and in one case, I was given a handicap accessible room. It was as if I had no status with Hilton at all. It's difficult to understand the thought process that went through the mind of the person doing the room assignments.

There seems to be a big disconnect between what Hilton Corporate markets and what the hotels actually do.

uggboy and Tenmoc like this.
  18. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had similar experience at many Hiltons, and I've made the decision not to pursue Diamond. Gold seems fine.

Like Dreamworks, I'm tired of having to ask for things. I often feel like I'm complaining, and it always feels as though the front-desk staff don't particularly want to deal with the requests. I've taken to asking why the original room wasn't what it was supposed to be, and if I'm feeling churlish I will ask for someone to move my stuff to the my new room (while I retire to a beverage, hopefully complimentary, at the bar).

I hope that more and more Hiltons follow the example we're seeing overseas (and also in Atlanta, GA!) where there is a separate concierge to help with Diamonds/Golds - sometimes even doing check-in at the separate desk. Those folks rarely make the sort of mistakes mentioned here.

uggboy and HiIslands like this.
  19. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish both Hilton Corporate and all Hilton GM's would read this thread. There seems to be something of a trend here.

Sweet Willie, Dreamworks and uggboy like this.
  20. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    With no doubt they only can be found at Hilton properties.:rolleyes:

uggboy and 2soonold like this.
  21. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It may be helpful to ask right away if a better room is available, when they give you 3rd floor on a 28th floor hotel, rather than go check out the room. On hotels with a lounge or club floor, ask for information about the club lounge at checkin, and then, if you clearly don't have at least a club room, ask. It's a pain to ask for what should be given freely, but less of a pain than checking out substandard accommodations and then asking for better..

HiIslands and uggboy like this.
  22. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some good ideas in this thread.

Sadly when you have to stay at hamster inns most of the time it really does not matter if you are diamond or not :eek:

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

Traveller, wombat18 and uggboy like this.
  23. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least you get to enjoy the faux-cute/unique black and white photos!

uggboy and ACMM like this.
  24. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know, everytime I've stayed at a Hampton Inn, I've gotten a handwritten card from the Manager which actually goes a long way with me. And to clarify, I'd want to be Plat as SPG and not Gold. Gold at HH is all I want for the free breakfast mostly.

HiIslands, wombat18 and uggboy like this.
  25. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to reply. You all certainly are nicer than FT, though I do love those guys too. I probably would have gotten more of the "It's your choice, make it" answers which is understandable. But I was glad to see people that felt the same way I did. Though sad for Hilton, as we're Diamonds.

uggboy, JosephMay and HiIslands like this.