I'm a naught boy/panda! or at least AC HQ thinks so.

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by canucklehead, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will confess, I fly AC but I try to collect United points to keep up with the Jones' (1K, in this case).

Problem is AC doesn't want me to collect Mileage Plus miles on their flights, only Aeroplan. For the last few yrs anytime I use my MP account #, it tells me to go away. OK, it tells me I cannot check-in and I need to see an agent. Grrrr!

At one point Web support told me to only use my Aeroplan account number for booking and checking in, and then change it at the gate. Seems I was placed on a 'list' by AC HQ and if I use anything but my Aeroplan #, they have to verify me vs another naughty 'canucklehead' who may or may not be a bad guy (I know I am not a bad guy, cuz my mother told me so and she never lied! [​IMG])

Instead of getting hassled, I have used my Aeroplan acct# or fly other airlines for my short hauls to Canada (Porter, UA - via IAD [​IMG]). Thought I would try this time to change account #s at the gate. Big mistake -- I felt bad for the agent as he kept on typing, and typing, first my UA #, then Aeroplan, then UA...looks up at me, smiles and says "do you know that your name is flagged?" [​IMG]

I give a short description of my past travails, ask him if he needs to call AC. Yup! Spend next few minutes giving my info....finally gets ok to use my UA #.

Anyone else have this problem, any resolutions?

2. SYM
    Original Member

SYM Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it's any consolation, I have similar problems in reverse (ie crediting UA travel to AE.) Booking a ticket and crediting to AE is not a problem. But as soon as UA gets my MP number associated with any booking for whatever reason, it becomes a Kafkaesque Catch 22 cycle

3. i wonder how putting flights to UA will work with the new AC upgrade program...
    UA can put 2 FF # on a booking I dont know If AC can do that?

4. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is generally because the UA agents don't understand how to change it.

There are two fields in the UA system: one for earning, one for benefits. If they change the latter, it shows up on the BP with the AE number, but because the former has not been changed, credit still goes to MP...

5. fly-yul
    Original Member

fly-yul Active Member

Status Points:
    If you want to get to the bottom of it make a request under the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act to AC to provide you with a copy of all personal information stored, collected, held, used or communicated to third persons by Air Canada in relation to a specific ticket number that you had a problem with. I'd also mention the problem that you have been having re OLCI.

canucklehead likes this.
  6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks fly-yul. I will do that! My email has gone unanswered and I would like to clear this up once and for all!

7. fly-yul
    Original Member

fly-yul Active Member

Status Points:
    The first reply from customer solutions may be a generic brush off. Simply ask them the forward your inquiry to the Air Canada Privacy Office. By law they have a certain amount of time within which they must reply.

Did any of the check in agents that cleared you mention the term DHP?

8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    no, the last one said I was a security list at AC HQ. The first time it happened (long ago) the agent asked if I was a naughty boy. She was being playful and said my name was common! :eek: (it's not, but there are variations of it around)
    What I find odd is how my Aeroplan clears me and my UA number puts me on a list. I suggested that maybe they store other ff #s if this was the case.
    btw, what is DHP?