I'll stop after this, really.....

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by squeakrad, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. squeakrad
    Original Member

squeakrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been thinking a lot about the site, and why I’m so uncomfortable here. You’d think that Randy’s new site would be a cause for celebration, and indeed it is. I’m glad for him that he’s back in the game and that he’s found partners with such dedication,
    on his wavelength and with similar interest in miles and points.

I promise, I’m not going to continue caviling here, but just state my concerns and be off.
    I see a lot of you are very happy here and that’s awesome.

To be blunt, I have enough challenges getting points and miles in real life that I don’t want to be challenged to have to get them on a community site. Especially when one of the goals of amassing points is that you get to go to a secret forum where only middle and top tier posters get to post. That I would never have known about if I hadn’t innocently asked another MP’er what silver status was.

I also don’t want to have to prove my likeability with a lot of people whom, I don’t know. One reason that “liking” on FB works for me, is that there, I’m already in a community of people I have chosen to be friends with. And “like” doesn’t get me (or them) anything except being liked - there’s no secret FB forum to my knowledge that you get to go to if enough people like you.

Maybe I should assume that MP’ers are all in a likeminded community as many here are doing. It still doesn’t explain how “likes” should merit extra points and status. That kills a community, not builds one.

Activities like “Everyone who contributed with good posts this weekend “ – who decides good posts? (Actually in this case I’m pretty sure it was RP, tommy, pizzaman and gleff) Even so, the fact that “good posts” are arbited all when it comes to prizes again, serves to close community not build it.

And what of the infamous news feeds? I almost responded to one thinking it was a person.. Are the newsfeeds going to be eligible for prizes?

I’m also not comfortable with the FT bashing going on – to the extent of a THREAD on what’s wrong with FT. I don’t know what the future of FT holds but I use FB and twitter and other sites where the goal for the owners is profitability. I don’t necessarily hold that against them. I miss Randy big time of course, but he’s a big boy and he makes his own decisions.

For me, MP feels way too much like highschool, competing for best liked and for the awards that go with it. This could work if it was a limited, invited community and you all knew who you wanted to be in it. Which maybe you did and it got out of hand.

Thanks for listening.

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see your point and can understand. I think Randy had a purpose of using 'likes' etc to motivate the community into posting meaningful and useful content. It is working, and it is also being abused. Much of the FT bashing I have witnessed has been fairly light-hearted, I'm sure not all of it has. Ultimately this will be a very useful site, status or not.
    Right now this site is an infant that needs to gain an identity and grow, and it will.

BondAir007, 2soonold, kiwi and 2 others like this.
  3. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP, Too bad you didn't show up at HR SFO this weekend, I am sure you would feel differently if you have listen and be part of the discussion.

What are you seeing now is not going to be the same way as of March 01, it is going to be totally different.
    I agree with you as far as FT bashing, I will not bash anything about FT, as the matter of fact I still post and contribute there.

Hope you will feel differently after you know the whole picture.

In the meanwhile.. I will extend the welcome to you here.

Enjoy and Happy Valentine's Day

Chimpy and lin821 like this.
  4. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear you as well. With anything we do, there will always be those who abuse. I have no beef with FT, but I came to this game too late to have any voice over there. I think many are excited about getting in on the ground floor here at MP and having an opportunity to be heard, and opportunity to have a say in the direction things head. Since we are still in BETA, I am sure there will be some adjustments when MP goes live based on the things you have addressed. I believe the development team is watching closely as the site develops and have enough experience to move MP in the direction they intend.

MP will not be for everyone, just as FT is not for everyone. I believe the 2 can coexist and both will be better because of the competition.

As for High School, some of us have not been out very long, and some of us are so old we are now regressing back to that period again.

Stay with it for a while and see how things continue to develop. If it doesn't meet you needs, don't go away mad, just go away. (I am being sarcastic with that last comment, it case you didn't notice)

5. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread is ok with me. Everything is not exactly the way I'd like it.
    First, I am not a true Randy FANatic; although I'd probably like him better than say...Lindsay Lohan[​IMG].
    I did a post run to get into the coupon connection over you know where; and it was so not worth it to me!
    I have a friend whose job partly entails answering how-to questions for the general public on a company website. The public is then invited to rate the helpfulness of the answers posted on the website, and the company uses the ratings to perk the employees. My friend points out the humor of his answers being rated by the very people who had to come to the website even to find an answer in the first place!
    If in retail it's location,location,location; on a website it's gotta be content,content,content. I find MP to be light on content in it's beta stage. Mind numbing tedium keeps me out of the counting threads; but I have learned to work the three word story, where I might possibily garner a "like".
    MP isn't yet everything it can be, or will be. I look forward to the day when the site will actually need my participation less than it does now.[​IMG]

6. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    squeakrad, I liked your post and I love your avatar. In this beta stage there's apprently no love for avatars yet. I agree with several of your concerns, but like others I'm going to roll with it and see how the system works itself out after the lauch to the general public. Hopefully, it won't end up being a purely numbers game...

7. MikeMpls
    Original Member

MikeMpls Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you're taking it all too seriously.

WonderBret, Gaucho, 2soonold and 2 others like this.
  8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Roberta, I'd love to see you stick around and I hope that this place becomes truly enjoyable for you.

As for me, I will never 'bash' Flyertalk. Anything that I might consider 'wrong' over there, I mean for goodness sakes I have to accept some measure of responsibility for that, right? I mean, maybe not as much as Randy but certainly some. I made it my home for a long time and still consider myself a member.

Naturally some folks on both sites are going to want to compare them to each other, there are threads here and there. Personally I'm thrilled to see in less than two weeks that folks find that Milepoint would compare to Flyertalk. We're just building something here together, and I can only hope that it compares. I still consider Flyertalk special.

I'm not sure what it is you are pretty sure I was deciding? Because I'm not even sure what thread or activity you're referring to, still I'm somewhat confident in my 'Shaggy Defense' "Wasn't me."

The like thing has its positives and its negatives, but 'like' is becoming the new search, social recommendations, the best as considered by our networks rise to the top as a collective recommendation rather than simply searching for key words. It's not really a new idea, it's something that's becoming much more common online, though I don't think it's 100% grown up yet.

Please don't think of it as high school, please express your concerns as you have them, they really are helpful and everyone should feel included here.

And for what it's worth I'm going to 'like' your post because it expresses your perspective on the place, and I look forward to building the community and your post is a contribution to that.

Best,
    Gary

9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    As one who has very little experience with "likes", I can sympathize with your concerns about this part of MP. While there are a bunch of people who have "liked" posts of mine, I'm not quite sure I should be "liking". As Gary has said, i think open and honest discussion of this and any other issues is the way forward.

"Like" was discussed at the NYC content session yesterday, and there was a solid cross-section of opinions. I was definitely of the opinion that how well "liked" you are should not be the most accurate measurement of your contribution to the community.

I seem to be a good bit of points behind lots of others. Can't tell if that's because of how many times I've posted, or how many times I've been liked. So, we should discuss how it affects each of us, IMO.

Cholula, lin821 and mowogo like this.
  10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh, almost forgot. I also don't agree with the FT/MP bashing. Really no need for that.

11. FlyinHawaiian
    Original Member

FlyinHawaiian Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Internet is a large and vast world and I for one am happy that if one site can't be all things to everyone, at least there are reasonable alternatives. I agree there's no need for an "us versus them" mentality and I applaud Randy and the rest of you for making serious efforts to avoid that.

Gargoyle, Calcifer and travelingmore like this.
  12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks, FlyinHawaiian. The proof is in the pudding, so let's not create controversy where none is needed.

Cholula and Gargoyle like this.
  13. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although I may mention an FT issue, it will never be "bashing" because FT got me where I am today and I love that. I agree with the statement above about coming to the game too late to have a voice. So it is nice to start here with confidence. I don't mind the "like" and personally would not use it just for points. It's more that I like what someone has posted and do not necessarily need to post a reply. I am thankful for both communities.

14. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I appreciate the OP and the responses. It shows to me that there are those who want constructive criticism and are willing to reflect and review their actions.

I never put creedence on post count at FT but used the creedo put forth that one was only as good as their last post. It took me 11 year and a few days to get 5k posts with only one warning. Was that good enough? Perhaps for some. I'm sure that there were some who have even more posts with more quality so to me there is always a higher mountain to climb if it is my desire.

I really don't dwell on the status numbers so much but have voiced my opinion in beta threads where they are being discussed. I stated at bootcamp my tendency was to "like" those posts that draw me into the conversation as they have the content that draws me into the conversation. (Either an OP or someone later in the conversation whom I quote.) And this like is given even if there is disagreement with the OP or quote. BTW I did not do thumbs up only posts on FT.

Is my way better than another? IMO no, it is just my way. If someone likes a post for another reason it matters not to me, as my personal satisfiaction is my own reward.

15. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the general sentiment of the OP. To me, MP is a place that is very much in Beta and still hasn't quite found its stride. Some of the folks who have made it to the various meetups have commented that come March 1, MP will be a different place. I am content to wait until then to see what happens.

On the whole though I do have to say that I am posting much less these days. Do I post here or on FT? It's easy to fall into the laziness trap and just decide not to post at all. So to that extent, MP is a negative in that there's one less voice to the chorus. (Or maybe that's a positive ... :) )

Gargoyle likes this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "like" feature doesn't work because the goal should be to identify solid content and make that "trend" to become more visible. In this sort of community that will come from liking threads more than posts. As it currently exists I see very little value in the like feature in terms of identifying the things that really are useful to the community. It shouldn't be about personal recognition if the goal is to identify the body of content that is useful.

Just my shiny wooden nickel's worth of thoughts on the topic.

lin821, oliver2002 and swag like this.
  17. wharvey

wharvey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting perspective. I have actually taken the last three weeks to just read... and nothing else.
    I decided to not wade in on any issues... as I wanted to get a feel for the place.... and watch it grow.
    Randy and FT have a very special place in my heart... and I expect Milepoint will be a similar place for me.

When it comes to points and likes, I am not even going to think about that. If you start thinking about that, then you start to change your posting and interactions. I would prefer my actions to speak for me... and if people "like" me for that, so be it... if not, I will survive.

Heck, would I be liked if I became the MP Secret Santa Coordinator? :)

jmrich1432, lin821, Gargoyle and 4 others like this.
  18. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You would probably be extremely well liked.

19. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aghhh...so many thoughts, so little time. I am loving it here because I am such a dingdong newbie. Have lurked and then rather tentatively posted on FT over the past several years. Learned so much just hanging around over there. I'm one of those 'will you still love me when I'm 64 ....'....a tad older than many, but still hungry to learn. When gleff introduced several of us to MP, I jumped, leaped and flew over here. Incredibly comfortable, informative and fun place... As for the 'like' feature, frankly I find that a really easy way (and doesn't clog up the site with "i agree" type comments) to express my agreement. I wish Randy, and everyone, only the very best!!

kiwi, mowogo and Jubileesmom like this.
  20. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am happy to see wharvey here - it makes my morning!

Jubileesmom and wharvey like this.
  21. wharvey

wharvey Silver Member

Status Points:
    AH... shucks darn AmericanGirl.... that just made my morning... Thank You!

Jubileesmom and AmericanGirl like this.
  22. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Shhh...don't tell anyone, but I have a secret crush on Secret Santa a/k/a wharvey [​IMG]

ACMM and Jubileesmom like this.
  23. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kitty - have you no shame! ;)

AmericanGirl likes this.
  24. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nope, nada, nil, none....lol

ACMM likes this.
  25. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well at least we know where to find you - in the kitty corner! ;)

AmericanGirl likes this.