IKK for SE's

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, Sep 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. I keep hearing that IKK is basically dead but not yet buried. To offset those rumours I just book a J seat to Europe leaving on Dec. 21/13 returning on Jan.3/14. these are very high peak times and I had my choice of flights. Am I happy about the $1196 in fees?:mad:

So the the garbage that is pervasive on TOBB about IKK is just that. A bunch of whiners, and liars, who couldn't find their way out of the plane all putting out garbage.

BTW I also did a dummy booking for the same period to HKG and got the flights I requested.

maradori and SVJ like this.
  2. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Guiness, your advice has always been good! So, since IKK is something I've never tried, how exactly does it work for us?

YULtide likes this.
  3. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    .....and what does it stand for?

4. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Those are very high peak times for Y travel but not for J - there isn't a ton of business being done over the Christmas holidays. AC has been known to run special J sales over that timeframe to try to get some marginal revenue for the front cabin.

5. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Simple. If you go on the Aeroplan web site and log in as a SE and try to book a routing you will get a box near the top that you can tick to "display my Air Canada priority awards". When you tick that box, you will (hopefully) see additional flights (including J) available to you at the "Classic" reward level.

At one time, if there were seats available (i.e. not oversold), they'd be ours. That continues to be true for Y bookings but they introduced capacity controls (that their rep told us few would notice) which has significantly throttled back J availability.

mevlannen likes this.
  6. Just booked a reward trip to the UK departing next week for my wife and got J seats w/o any premium or other issues except the usurious fees.
    I'm going to HKG returning from PVG in November and did a dummy AE booking in J and got seats even though the flights are both R0.

7. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, okay then, I have been using this facility without being aware of its epithet name! Travelling just this morning on a family emergency, finding it handy to be able to choose from among many possible routings; much better situation than back in my 35K days, when some of my more remote worksites were effectively out-of-reach to awards flights.

YULtide likes this.
  8. For NA travel as a SE you should always get a flight and, pretty much the one you want. If you try and book a YYZ/YVR flt on points Sunday evening for a Monday morning reward you might have a slight issue but generally AE will get you there

mevlannen likes this.
  9. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had pretty good luck getting what I want, but some northern points (YXJ, I'm looking your way!) are really hard to reach/exit via reward travel, even given SE status. Of course, it's possible that YXJ produces high load factors!

YULtide likes this.
  10. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    IKK is instant KK. The KK action, on the other hand, means that AC will take a revenue seat and convert it to a reward seat.

southender and slalom like this.