iK to Gold and booking Award flights

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Mar 12, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    End of Jan 2017 I will go from 1K to Gold. I thought I read something about due to reduced status one does not see as many award flights as those with higher status. If this is so then I guess I need to book both my 2017 trips prior to Jan 31, 17?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The main difference is in expanded availability for premium cabin awards (IN space versus I space). Depending on who you ask and the routes you fly that may matter and it may not. If you were planning to travel on partners or in economy it doesn't matter at all.

The reduced status level also affects change/refund fees on the awards. That is where I'm afraid I'll get hurt the most given a similar shift in status.

8MiHi likes this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    My experience in the last year is that there's a much bigger drop in available award space from "I have some kind of status" to "no status". I did not see a big difference between 1K and Gold.

8MiHi likes this.
  4. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys, all my flying is going to be in economy, no more BC, not worth the miles between NA and Europe, and will be from YVR to more than likely FRA or MUC and then perhaps a connection with LH to who knows where in Europe. So if it's going to be economy I won't worry about book that far in advance then. Absolutely ideal for me woutd be LH non stop from YVR, then I don't have fool around anymore via the US connections.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This will definitely happen for economy class travel (XN v X inventory) but can be cheated with the co-branded credit cards.
    Then UA status won't matter for availability.