IHG Translator

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by viguera, Dec 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got this a couple of days ago but ignored it, until I saw it pop up on the mobile app again just now.

I have no idea what this service is, how well it works or why IHG thinks anything of the sort is worth $20 a month, but I guess it might be worth checking out.

Screenshot_2014-12-06-20-34-50~2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    Rosalia and uggboy like this.
  2. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the would only give their confirmations in both the language of the customer and the language of the hotel it would be easier to direct taxis and or drivers to the hotel.

Rosalia and uggboy like this.
  3. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    No interest at all. Before offering new services, they better fix the ITN promotion, it is a disaster, I have been waiting for more than one whole month and my stays are not yet updated.

brucewil, icurhere2 and jonspencer like this.
  4. jmads

jmads New Member

Status Points:
    Hi there. I'm one of the folks that worked on the app- it's actually free to download and use- the free version includes plenty of content for most people. Platinum and Ambassador members get full access at no cost, otherwise its $10. The full access includes the ability to talk to a live translator & make free calls using Wi-Fi. Those are direct costs which is why they're paid features. Happy to answer any questions though!

viguera likes this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome aboard...

I think the big question is what purpose does this app fulfill that hasn't already been addressed by a ton of other apps, which I might already have on my phone and / or I already know how to use :)

Not knocking it, because from what I can see there's a lot of functionality in there, but it seems to be stuff that's already been done before. For me to get rid of Google Translate or God-knows-what to install yet another new app it would have to be something special.

Even assuming that you don't do your research, or that you can't work out the maths, you can easily find out what 25 Euro is in USD with a quick Google search. Same goes for translating "where's the bathroom" to 100 different languages.

I do like the etiquette bits that it presents, since a lot of it can come in handy if you're visiting a country for the first time.

I didn't pay too much attention to it though, so I don't know if there's an offline component to the whole thing. Having to download large chunks of data while traveling might not be something that most people would want to get involved with.