IHG seems to have killed off corporate rate offerings at many of their properties

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by jonspencer, Nov 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am seeing huge price increases at properties I have stayed in the past for considerably less :eek:

be interesting to see how this strategy works out for IHG, these are not 5 to 6% increases either

much like the RA referral certificate, corporate rates are being abused

DJP_707, londoncalling and Newscience like this.
  2. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. In some cases I see Corporate rates at 50% off the next lowest rate available. That makes using them a target and there are numerous ones around that people can use. In some hotels in China they are asking for Company ID now. I am also seeing major room rate increases at IC hotels I frequently stay at. I opted out of staying at the IC Chicago recently when rates were well over $350 a night on the weekend. Another example is the IC in BKK where rates appear to be up by well over 50% from last year at the same time. A friend who travels to SE Asia and is just back told me rates at several IC's there are much higher than last year. I guess they are watching the airlines gouge us and decided to get on board.

The referral cert has much less value than in earlier years as the booking rate is much higher than normal rates one would pay. It still offers some savings but nothing earth shattering.

DJP_707, Dublin_rfk and Newscience like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

DJP_707 and londoncalling like this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like a risky move to alienate your corporate clients even if people are abusing the rates. Seems like enforcing proof of working for that corporation would be a better move?

Newscience, DJP_707 and jonspencer like this.
  5. londoncalling

Status Points:
    That is the issue. On TOBB there are always corporate rate numbers floating around. IC obviously knows this and are clamping down. The good corporate rates are still good with proof of employment.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's the typical IHG Scorched Earth approach... since their IT department is completely inept, the best way for them to go is apparently to completely kill off something, rather than come up with a reasonable way to stop the abuse.

Next up they'll probably remove AAA rates and other discounts because people are abusing them, rather than simply put in place some requirement to check and make sure you qualify for the given rate.

7. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since corporate rates are usually discounted (-10%, -20%, -30%) off the best available or some other rack rate, as those rates go up with hotel occupancy it's normal for the corporate rates to go up too. I've experienced this increase first hand, but I have not seen corporate rates disappearing? just increasing along with all rates. Of course my experience is only in US hotels. On a recent stay at the IC Boston, I ran the the rates using the entire list of corporate rates and all of them still show up with the correct company and varying rates. The cheapest corporate rate code for my stay was Walmart, which was about 22% off. most of the rates were only 10-15% off.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    Newscience and WilliamQ like this.
  8. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure proof of employment should be required. My travel involves working with customer who often give me there corp rate or book me a room with there rate. If questioned I would just respond that I was hired and performing work for "ABC Co." If I Had too I could produce Purchase orders from the co. but it never comes up. The same with government rates, I have my government ID, and only get asked for ID maybe 1 in 10 visits. Of course in big cities the government rates usually are not the cheapest rate.

Most companies want you to use there corporate rate, mine included they remind us often to use the co rate, (and share it with customer and visitors) because the more its used the better rate they can negotiate for next year.

jonspencer and Newscience like this.
  9. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    my experience with rate increases is only for IHG hotels outside the USA :eek:

londoncalling, Newscience and DJP_707 like this.
  10. londoncalling

Status Points:
    Agreed as that is what I am seeing although a recent trip to Chicago saw some pretty expensive rates but there was a lot going on at that time.

DJP_707 likes this.
  11. londoncalling

Status Points:
    In China they have become very strict about demanding ID or they change your rate. The IC Grand Stanford in HKG and the IC Beichen In PEK are really demanding. I usually put my foot down and tell them its the rate I was given by my client and I am not going to pay one dollar more. One of the fallouts is they rate these corp rates as non qualifying and I have successfully fought that but its no fun to be constantly in touch with the puppets in Manila.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    DJP_707 and iolaire like this.
  12. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    The end of the year is a weird time for corp bookings for next year. In some cases, the corp rates for the next year aren't loaded yet and in other cases, they may not have been negotiated yet, and in some other cases, the particular rate you are looking at might not be renewed for next year. You might want to check with the property or your travel department if you're using the rate legitimately.

DJP_707 and jonspencer like this.
  13. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    this is an excellent point from Mr Prem

maybe I am being somewhat of an alarmist :eek:

and prices will not be wildly higher in 2015?

LIH Prem and DJP_707 like this.
  14. londoncalling

Status Points:
    Already started. I am in PEK at one of the IC's and corporate rates are way up from when I was last here in June. They didn't ask me for ID this time as the corp. rate is pretty high compared to what it was. Maybe they have renegotiated higher corp rates with all their biggest clients although I don't yet have enough current stays to comment on that.

15. PointyWings

PointyWings Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you been able to get away with that? I would imagine that they would make you pay a higher rate if you cannot show ID. In fact, for HKG, the rarte details clearly mention that ID is required.

You are far too generous - I would have called them muppets and not puppets

londoncalling likes this.
  16. londoncalling

Status Points:
    I just did in China. Got the fully discounted corporate rate w/o any request for ID and ended up in the 2nd biggest suite the hotel has. I checked out this AM and am currently in Northern China for a night and back in PEK tomorrow night booked a the same low rate. So we will see how that goes.

The HKG hotels are brutal on ID demands but I have backed them off before as well.