IHG Rewards Club (formerly Priority Club)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by jonspencer, Nov 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am curious what other MP members experience has been in 2013 with the above-mentioned program?

I have had to chase points all year for stays and promotions.

Normally I would use the internet 100% for any sort of travel bookings, I dread calling anyone.

However when you file an online grievance with IHG, invariably the reply is in the negative or they simply fail to grasp the issue.

Recently I have found that when you telephone IHG Rewards, you tend to get much better service and the operator understands what you want.

icurhere2 likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I requalified for Platinum this year with no issue, and even though there have been delays in points posting, I haven't had to chase them after any particular stay.

I've had a couple of mediocre stays, but overall I'm very satisfied with the program. Even in those cases when I had issues with the stay, I reached out to them online and they were quick to respond and even compensated me for the troubles I had.

3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I also notice some disconnect from online service. I recently sent in some missing stays because the front desk clerk was not familiar with my IHG Ambassador card (knew they weren't part of Holiday Inn Express and wouldn't follow my suggestion of putting in my number and seeing what the screen said) and noticed that while the points posted, half were debited for being an "overlapping stay". Trying to explain via email that it was a single stay with two rooms booked for the same stay doesn't seem to correlate online. So like you refer to ... off the the phone.

I do however remain pleased with the program and am approaching 1M points (with no credit card to that program).

4. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    IHG has a history of terrible online customer service in my experience - not understanding the inquiry in question after a delay far longer than the published timelines. As a Platinum Ambassador, I only encountered two issues this year. One was a stay that disappeared from IHG's system (resolved with a phone call) and the other was with the Ambassador BOGO certificate from last year being valid for less than 12 months (renewed in July 2012, cert expired May 2013, discovered the expiration when I went to use in June 2013).

IHG refused to resolve the second issue and I almost did not renew. I immediately followed up by intentionally finding an InterContinental night for free on a BRG, then redeemed the Chase credit card free night for an even more expensive InterContinental. So their lack of service recovery on that problem ended up changing my behavior. ;)

B1BomberVB, Flyer1976 and viguera like this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had an issue when they had the 75% off award sale a few weeks ago (booked Indigo London). The web site confirmed at 11,250 points a night and I processed the booking, but when it was all done I had two nights at 11,250 and two nights at 45K each, not what I wanted. I called expecting to cancel the whole thing and I was transferred over to a supervisor who resolved it by crediting me enough points for four nights at 45K each and then a new booking at the 45K rate. I was made whole. I was pleasantly surprised.

It did take me months to resolve an issue with them for an award stay in Perth back in May, going back and forth with e-mail. I booked when the rate was 25K and the property somehow kicked 25K back into my account after check-out. It might have been compIicated because I had a three night stay followed by a separate one night stay. I e-mailed IHG customer service requesting they take the 25K in points back, and instead they took 35K, more than they should have. Customer service eventually gave me the 10K difference back and I was made whole.

So, my most recent experience in October was positive though the one from May had me wondering what goes on in the back office at IHG Rewards.

Just this week I've booked paid stays in Madrid and Vienna for January on a sale, and in two weeks my credit card renewal night at a property that is over $600 the night of my stay in Manhattan. Hopefully no future issues.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    B1BomberVB likes this.
  6. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    despite various problems with IHG, it is still the best program for me as they have hotels in most places I travel

I wish there were more IC hotels in the chain (or even CPs), some of my Holiday Inn stays have been dismal, just weak properties

telephoning IHG Rewards is definitely the way to go, not contacting them online where you will just get aggravated and waste time :D

icurhere2 likes this.
  7. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    IHG is still my primary, despite the hiccup earlier this year, and despite earned status in six different chains. I visit towns/cities in Texas, New Mexico, and Tennessee for most of those stays. HI and CP both have some underwhelming properties (even IC SJU is underwhelming except the Ambassador wing); if there's a town with multiple brands, I currently pick the Holiday Inn Express and Suites because that tells me a lot about the build. ;)