IHG Properties in Nova Scotia Canada

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Sweet Willie, Jul 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    had a couple stays at two of the IHG properties in Nova Scotia Canada.

Holiday Inn Truro - nice, clean property, sort of in a residential area, not right off the main Hwy. Didn't experience any perks really with Plat status. Hotel was 5,000 point via pointbreaks. Free parking, they even have 4 spaces at the front of the hotel marked with signs for the exculsive use of Plat members.:)

Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview - somewhat worn property but nice enough. had an award for 2 twin beds, was upgraded to harborview King. Property is 1/4 block from the MacDonald bridge on the Dartmouth side. Not too much w/in walking distance, a McD's, and a Vietnamese restaurant in the nearby strip mall. Property does have an outdoor pool, free parking. Plat was recognized and I received an upgraded room, and a coupon for my choice of: 2k PC points, $10 applied to any meal in the hotel restaurant, free appitizer in the hotel's restaurant. Even though my stay in Halifax was fine, for my next time in Halifax I'll probably choose the Four Points or Courtyard as they are right downtown close to the harborfront area where there are restaurants/pubs. While it was nice being able to have the door open to our patio to let fresh cool air in while we slept, there was a slight mechanical noise that may be a bother to some, at least the noise is constant (sounds like a pump or something). Property is ~30 min drive from airport.

Holiday Inn Express Stellarton / New Glasgow - we didn't stay but passed right by this property on our way touring Cape Breton & the Cabot Trail. Property is right off of Hwy 104 making a nice stop somewhat close to the causeway.

2. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have been staying here 4 nights a week for the last 15 months. The ladies at the front desk are fantastic. I leave a bag here over the weekends and on Mondays when I check in it will be in the room waiting for me. Priority Club members (status or otherwise) receive complimentary water at checkin. Rooms are always clean and in working order. The 32" LCD TVs are not locked down so you can stream, with ease, from a laptop/tablet to the TV using HDMI.

As I said the ladies at the front desk are fantastic. I've checked in at 11pm with a nasty cold and within minutes of entering my room one of them was knocking at the door with hot tea with honey to try to make me feel a bit better. Once when I was staying over on a weekend, they found at the breakfast on Friday morning and asked if I could pack my stuff up and leave it in the room. This was so that they could move me to a new room since there was a large group of families (hockey tournament) being put around the room I was in at that time. All I had to do was check in at the front desk when I got back from work and everything was taken care of. Recently they gifted me a pewter business car holder for being a "valued guest".

The only issue is the speed of the internet. I suspect it is being heavily strained by the 30+ IT contractors that stay here most nights, but it is deathly slow most nights (i.e. hard to get the Google home page to load).

When you go to work long term in a smaller town (10,000ish people here) one of the biggest fears is the quality of the accommodations. Of all the small towns I've stayed in, none have a hotel that holds a candle to this one.

uggboy likes this.
  3. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow - somebody else has been to Truro. If I remember correctly, there is a piece of the Berlin Wall in Truro. I was on my way to Maitland to ride the tidal bore.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the reveiw of the Holiday Inn Express Stellarton / New Glasgow igloocoder
    you speak the truth: www.truro.ca/berlinwall.html Serves me right for assuming there wasn't anything to see in Truro.

uggboy likes this.
  5. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have family in Stellarton, and I have stayed at the HIX many times. The rooms are very comfortable and clean, and the staff are great. I love their golden retriever as well. It is much more relaxed there in summer than in the winter, when it is filled to the rafters on the weekends with kids competing in hockey tournaments.

The Truro HI is also a good choice for the area, but same thing... winter weekends it's a zoo.

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    forgot to add my stay experience from the HIX Halifax Airport:oops:

Holiday Inn Express Airport - a newer clean property, rooms & public areas very well kept. Plat status recognized with supposedly an upgraded room but I really didn't notice anything. Usual HIX breakfast. Internet & parking are free. Very frequent and flexible shuttle service to/from YHZ Halifax Airport.