IHG promos/contests are interesting

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I had the occasional HI or HIX stay in the distant past, I never really paid much attention to the Priority Club program until they launched the biggest loser contest last year. That got me from some 3,000 orphan points to around 28,000 and I started looking at their program more closely. The subsequent Anywhere Challenge promo and a couple of cheap HIX stays got me to over 60,000 points for the year -- Platinum status! Now they have another interesting contest running -- Win it in a Minute. 20k points earned the first week. And I am looking at another 160,000 points if/when I complete the Crack-the-Case promo with eight more stays.

Is this "standard operating procedure" for IHG? It seems quite different (and more interesting) than the other programs I am following (Hyatt, HHonors, SPG).

2. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you go to flyertalk and find the promotion thread and input all the codes, you'll easily get over 10,000 points for a cheap stay.

I got 14,000 points for a $50 dollar stay in Thailand (got upgraded to a suite too) and am looking forward to my second stay next week. Made platinum the hard way last year, but there seems to be a real fast track if you do about ten minutes clicking before each stay...

3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Points per stay can be fairly high with little effort for the first few stays. Rate drops as you stay more.

One bugbear is many IHG promos are limited to US (sometimes US + UK).

4. DaveS&V
    Original Member

DaveS&V Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a lot of my travel is in the UK IHG is my only real option for a hotel group. Unless you only stay in the major cities there really aren’t any viable alternatives. You can earn points and status very quickly but recognition of status varies dramatically from property to property. On the whole I am happy with IHG as there are many options to earn at budget properties and redeem at higher end properties with a good worldwide network.

travelingmore likes this.
  5. Mark.Dragon
    Original Member

Mark.Dragon Silver Member

Status Points:
    At all i think IHG is a optimal loyality program if you dont travel sooo much because its so easy to get "Top Tier" there even when you will have just sometimes a night somewere. Holiday Inn or Holiday Inn Express is most of the time a cheap alternative to get a night with some points..
    Near me is a Holiday Inn were the night costs around 54,-- Euro -> ideal for a night at the right Promotion!

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I started this thread, I was really more commenting on the somewhat unusual promos/contests they seem to have had over the last year or so (in addition to all the various promo codes that one can find on FT). Is that a new development, or has IHG/PC always been so creative?

7. RicGarrido
    Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

Status Points:
    IHG Priority Club has really been the leader in the social media game. They hired prominent travel bloggers in the social media sphere last year to work with Priority Club Connect and Twitter and Facebook.

I give Priority Club my 2010 hotel loyalty award for most creative loyalty program promotions. Since their Hilton HHonors attack a year ago in response to the hotel category award increases, Priority Club has rolled out one clever promotion after another.

8. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have picked up significant number of points from IHG promotions in the past year and will pick up another 92,000 when I complete Crack the Case in a few weeks. I was able to use points for 6 weekend stays during football season @ HIX @ 15k per night when the rooms were running $250/ night with a 2 night minimum. Not a bad deal in my book when most of those points were free. War Eagle!

9. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another great feature is that the points don't expire, so except for worries of devaluation there isn't the impetus to use them all up right away.

10. To OP - I agree with you that Priority Club has had some really creative promos. It seems that one of the common things is that they get a LOT of exposure from the promos. The current Win it in a Minute basically ensures that we all visit their website for 12 weeks straight. A similar promo occurred in the fall. The more exposure they get in our minds, the more likely we are to use their hotels... just ask the drug reps and the pharmaceutical undustry, they are the kings of this strategy!

Regardless, I am not complaining and absolutely love their promos. I hope they keep going strong!

PS: They got about 8/10 of my stays since September, so it clearly has worked for them. Of course, I also got 150K+ points out of the stays so it is a win win!

11. CIPAS
    Original Member

CIPAS Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. PCR creates some nice promos.. but it's sad that Win in a minutes is nothing like Anywhere challenge.

12. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Anywhere Challenge was my all-time favourite and it was fun to work as a team on FT to solve the puzzles. I'm trying on WIIAM, just had my best score ever for my husband, over 41k! Now if they would only limit the game to human players we might have a chance. I'm completing CTC in May so will get about 100k from that.

brinkers and surffnutt3001 like this.
  13. Anywhere Challenge
    +1

Tiki likes this.
  14. brinkers
    Original Member

brinkers Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Anywhere Challenge was good. Although, the way they posted points, I am not sure which weeks I missed out on.

Tiki likes this.
  15. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that IHG has the absolute best approach for investing to understand how travel gets generated and how loyalty gets maintained. With Crack the Case, it appears that they've set up an elaborate approach to mine statistical data about revealed preference for an often relatively low cost. Just look at all the various criteria people have been given: # of stays, # of nights, # of weekend nights, # of distinct properties, $ credit card spend, how many cases have to be cracked to get the big bonus, etc, etc.

16. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Crack the Case is certainly lucrative for members with little (or no) stays in the past - however, the targets for many of their most loyal members are set so high that there is little prospect of meeting them (in my case, 45 different properties was the real killer). In that sense, they are maybe attracting some new members with lots of points but alienating some long-standing members.I would agree that their marketing people have really stepped up their game in the last couple of years, so I'm sure they think it's worth doing.

17. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would definitely agree about the promos generating interest. I am a Hyatt Diamond, status matched last year to SPG Platinum. My husband had an orphan Hilton account with one stay in it since 2009, and I think it was incidentals from a Priceline stay. I saw Biggest Loser and signed him up. Fast forward to him receiving a do-able Crack the Case task at the same time Sweet Dilemma was running, and the Great 10K from Hyatt, plus a couple nice SPG bonus promos. Anywhere Challenge netted us some more points. So, we strung together a 30-day mattress run through the Southwest, with a great spreadsheet he made up, and ended up giving Priority Club 12 nights, cracking the case, earning 240,000 points and 5 free nights. We went from strict Hyatt (and newly SPG) loyalists to folks who stayed in, and were very pleasantly surprised by, many IHG properties, and are very excited about April's stays in Berchtesgaden, Prague and Geneva. Promos alone got them noticed by us -- but the nice experiences we had at the properties will make several of them repeats.