IHG PL AMB vs SPG G

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by foxberg, Apr 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could someone tell me from the experience which status would get better benefits at any participating hotel? I have both, but only stay at IHG properties. Should I expect the same or better at SGP for my G?

2. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure. SPG Plat is several orders of magnitude better than IHG Plat Amb, but I don't have any experience of being a Gold. In general, IHG hotels can choose to treat you well, but don't have to.

SPG tends to firmer guarantees, at least in my experience. Anyone actually able to answer the question? ;)

pointshogger and foxberg like this.
  3. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only thing IHG Plt. has that SPG Gold does not is 72 hour room availability guarantee. That's for SPG Plt. However, SPG Gold has 4pm checkout and IME more likely to offer enhanced rooms. If it's a property with complimentary internet already, you can take the bonus points versus nothing at IHG. I'd say depending on your travel habits, go for SPG Plat with 25 stays. Club access, suite upgrades (when available), Internet AND bonus points make it a much more valuable program (IMHO) than IHG.

WilliamQ, pointshogger and foxberg like this.
  4. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    In addition to what the others already mentioned, why not leverage both statuses on a case by case basis? Depending on which city you travel to, and which hotels are available in those particular cities, you may want to take advantage of one or the other.

WilliamQ and foxberg like this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, Do you fly Delta?
    SPG and Delta have a Crossover rewards program that seems to be very useful.
    I have never tried it previously but applied for the linking of my accounts just a week ago after having read more about the two programs.
    This helps tilt my preference towards SPG vs IHG but as @pointshogger said, what's stopping you from using whatever suits you most when you need it.
    That would be assuming you have no issues re-qualifying for both SPG G and IHG Plat.

pointshogger and foxberg like this.
  6. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You see, I don't fly DL usually. And crossover points take forever to post to SPG. But I might consider giving SPG a try the next time I have to book a stay. And I do requalify for both automatically. I just need to find out more about getting bonus points with SPG for stays and their award structure.

WilliamQ likes this.