IHG IT strikes again

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by viguera, Mar 19, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's amazing how they can't seem to get anything right, even when attempting to address the problems. IHG and Hyatt are my go-to chains, but I think it's time I consider dropping them and going elsewhere for "large footprint" bookings.

Anyway here's my latest...

My wife has a business meeting near AVP, about 200 miles away from home, so we decide to book a night stay nearby so she doesn't have to drive down early in the morning.

I book a stay on Sunday 3/15 I think (might be 3/14) to stay on Wed 3/18 for 1 night. Seems simple enough.

I realize the next day that there's nothing in my calendar (I am meticulous about tracking so I use Google's auto-import and TripIt Pro). I generally add her to the calendar invite which has all the details about the stay (confirmation #, hotel phone # and address for the GPS).

I go on the website and notice the reservation is there, so I select the option to send me an email anyway so I can get things done. Nothing.

I email IHGCare and let them know that I didn't receive an email, since calling them on the phone is going to take forever, and manually create the calendar entry with the info.

IHGCare replies with "To properly document your concerns, please advise how you were initially contacted by our department (was it through Twitter, Facebook, Tripadvisor?) and provide your username from the said website." Basically saying "you have a problem, but first let's do some paperwork...

I figured they would be useless so I dismiss them altogether with "I thought you would be concerned about the fact that I'm having an issue..." and leave it at that.

Fast forward to 3/18, when my wife shows up at the hotel and they say that the reservation had been cancelled. I check and the website shows it cancelled now, and of course there was no notification via email or otherwise -- nobody knows still why it was cancelled either.

I forward this new development to them and they reply with "we would like to apologize if you have not received an email confirmation of your reservation. There should be an email automatically generated after you made your booking from our website."

Seriously though, if it wasn't because of the promos I would have given IHG very little of my business this year, precisely because of this. And even with the promos there was obvious technical issues, so I'll just burn through the points that I have and match my Hyatt Diamond / IHG Platinum elsewhere and count my blessings.

2. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    sending an email to IHG is like "p*ssing in the wind" a useless effort only to end up with a mess at best :eek:

I have been trying out SPG because of their link up with Emirates, they are no better (quite possibly worse), IHG definitely has issues but in general the website functions reasonably well

please post when you find a better chain with a similar footprint and price point :cool:

So far I have looked at Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, Carlson............ none of them can offer anything close to RA status or similar

3. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    another point after just reviewing my IHG account

their ineptitude strikes both ways, on several occasions I have been credited extra points or reversals of point stays when there was no cause to :eek:

I am not defending IHG now, I just feel you will trade your IHG issues for Hilton or Marriott issues, it is an imperfect world we live in :confused:

4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not just an IHG issue, with all chains you have to constantly check your reservations to make sure nothing is wrong, it's taxing and dumb but unfortunately that is just the way it is.

jonspencer likes this.
  5. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I cancelled a reservation yesterday 3 minutes after the 6PM cut off and got hit with the first night charge per their T&C's. Called the hotel and was transferred to IHG customer care Dept. She looked up the cancellation number, put me on hold, called the hotel and came back on line to tell me all was taken care of and no charge would be made. Circle jerk best describes the event.

6. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a number somewhere for their Customer Care reps. They are great and have worked wonders for me - like opening up award nights in the Caribbean during President's Week. On a similar issue an award reservation was cancelled by the hotel. They reversed it and did something amazing for me. (Can't publicly mention that!) When I find the number @viguera I will PM it to you

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There, I fixed it for you.

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I can understand that, which is why I love to keep track of every stay myself rather than rely on their system, but that requires that their part of the equation works, and apparently that's too much to ask. :)

Not to mention that there are degrees to the amount of problems that this can cause. In this particular case it was my wife going solo to the middle of nowhere in PA. Had the reservation being cancelled and the hotel sold out, it would have been "mildly inconvenient" to get walked elsewhere, or to find another property on her own. I can imagine that this would be terribly problematic if it happens if we are out of the country, or if we are traveling with our toddler, or after a 10 hour flight when all you want to do is just get in the room and sleep.

Either way, inept customer service agents and problematic IT systems would be OK if this was 10-15 years ago. I'm thinking that I'm not going to really give them the opportunity to mess up an important business trip or a major vacation when I have other options.

skyvan likes this.