IHG Efforts to Upscale Crowne Plaza Properties - "Move Up or Move Out"

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by DestinationDavid, Sep 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A friend of mine shared this since he works for IHG and I thought it was interesting. Didn't see anything about it here in the forum so thought I'd share.

LINK.

Already entrenched in rolling out a renewed focus that includes an emphasis on staff training and an improved bedding program for the Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts brand, InterContinental Hotels Group has announced a goal to reposition the brand to the upper-upscale segment.

In doing so, the franchisor will take a hard look at each of the nearly 400 hotels in the portfolio and expects about 40, or 10% of the brand, won’t fit the mold for an upper-upscale product and will be removed from the system.

“We’re following what we call our ‘Rest to Best’ strategy where we want to get all of the hotels to move up to where the top-performing hotels are,” said Janis Cannon, VP of global brand management for Crowne Plaza and Hotel Indigo. “There are plans to remove hotels from the system. It’s either move up or move out.”

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing! Interesting strategy and Crowne Plaza should be on the road of success and expansion around the world in the upscale to upper upscale market!:)

rwoman and flyingdawg like this.
  3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it me or does it feel like more than 10% of existing Crowne Plazas don't fit the upper-upscale market?

briantoronto, rwoman, al613 and 4 others like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    ;)

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that Crowne Plaza has a long way to go to be serious player in the upper upscale segment in hospitality as many existing offerings are just so upscale and lacking and real ID or personality // design // distinction of a real upper upscale hotel. Having said that, some newer properties offer a very upscale experience like the one in Hong Kong Causeway Bay or Singapore Changi Airport plus some grander properties in Europe incl. some resorts there. For us it would be very important that Crowne Plaza looks for quality // reliability // upscale solutions to InterContintental and combines all this with an ID on all it's own in the upper upscale segment which shall bring a more distinguished, service // design oriented // location oriented experience to Crowne Plaza Lovers everywhere on each continent incl. the North America!:)

6. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    "upper-scale" is in the eye of the local market/people....

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is not just you.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it would be extremely generous to categorize even 10% of Crowne Plazas as upper upscale. SIN would probably qualify, but its price point puts it in competition with better hotels in town.

9. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quote from stroy:

"and there will be a renewed focus on guests being able to conduct business, such as free Wi-Fi and the ability to print boarding passes."

In a few years won't everyone be using electronic boarding passes? Is this the best enchament they can come up with for the Crown brand? By the way most of the other upper-upscale brands began offer free wi-fi (at least to elites) a couple of years ago (Hyatt, SPG, ect.).

uggboy likes this.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said- and printing boarding passes while convenient is not the quantam leap in how to conduct business :)

rwoman, viguera, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's hope they get innovative and celebrate upper upscale hospitality in a serious way after they invest into it, hopefully in a serious way too!;)

flyingdawg likes this.
  12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't hold my breath- my would the group want to create a situation where Crowne is competing against IC?

uggboy likes this.
  13. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's something I had a rather long thought of lately about making InterContinetal in-house competition, what they need to come up with is to give Crowne Plaza a younger look and a very different ID without compromising the positioning as a future upper upscale hotel chain and leave IC grow into what it is a more classic luxurious brand which should draw a slightly different guest going forward into the next few years.:)

viguera and flyingdawg like this.
  14. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I must admit I was surprised to read this article as upmarket is not a word I associate with CP. I have always thought of them as being ordinary hotels more akin to HI than IC.

uggboy and TheBeerHunter like this.
  15. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have any experience with the London Kensington and where it ranks?

uggboy likes this.
  16. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    San Antonio Riverwalk is one that needs a little help.

uggboy likes this.
  17. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Crowne has been more of a wild card than Holiday Inns in my travels, consistency would be nice but I will miss PointBreaks roulette.

uggboy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  18. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    IHG really needs a brand in the middle - between IC and HI.

uggboy likes this.
  19. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would tend to agree since I think most of us don't believe a HI is on the same level as a Hilton, Marriott or Sheraton. Thus having something better than HI but less than IC fills a void in their portfolio.

However, is this gap in their portfolio accurately defined by upper-upscale?

uggboy and al613 like this.
  20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think of IC as upper upscale but not luxury.

21. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    In our experiences having stayed incl. the IC Athens, Madrid, Warsaw and Hamburg we can say that it is luxury in our eyes, from grand Club Lounges with best food and drink offerings, elegant furnishings, interesting locations to the fantastic Balcony Suite in Athens plus the staff who goes well above and beyond with a pampering factor most consistent, this makes it a luxury brand in our experience. We look forward to staying at more IC's during our travels.:)

Toula likes this.
  22. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uggboy- you are so super positive- it is nice to see.

IC has some very nice properties- however they don't have the consistency of Four Seasons for example.

uggboy likes this.
  23. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, but it's an excellent value nonetheless... maybe a "poor man's FS" ? :)

I've personally ditched FS almost completely in favor of ICs whenever I have the choice. The rates are significantly lower and if you have status you get a nice few perks.

Still, there are properties out there where the IC can't compete, but you have to be willing to pay for it. Sure you can get butler service at the Ritz-Carlton, but it's going to cost you 3 times as much. :)

Toula and uggboy like this.
  24. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our experiences so far have been indeed positive at IC's properties!:)

25. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would tend to agree. Of course, if there was some kind of standardized industry chart where we could see where hotels fell, it would be nice.... I'm not an industry insider but I'm sure each chain's marketing/brand departments have their own chart for something like this.

al613 and uggboy like this.