IHG Credit Card

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by daniel caplette, Jan 24, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. daniel caplette

daniel caplette Member

Status Points:
    I see there is an offer for the IHG credit card. Spend $1000. in 3 months get 70,000 miles. Has anybody had any complaints about this card, is it a good program card to have/

2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    daninstl, tondoleo and uggboy like this.
  3. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz is correct as usual.:)

I will add that the Platinum status may be used to status match at another program. Some have had success with obtaining Hilton Gold. I received Kimpton Inner Circle 2 years ago that worked well for me.

Good luck.

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although not something I expect, my Platinum status via that card got me suite upgrades in both Lisbon and Madrid this last week. SInce they raised the redemption rates on some properties 10,000 points a year or two back, the 70,000 points aren't as valuable, but still think it's a good credit card to carry.

uggboy, daninstl and Kalboz like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it is a good credit card to store in the sock drawer until you go on a trip that involved IHG properties. At least that is what I do. Pretty much zero other spend (though it is one of my backup cards for international travel due to zero Forex).

Kalboz, uggboy and daninstl like this.
  6. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only if you stay with them on a regular basis -- it'll get you to Pt status, but Hilton has a card that gets you to Gold which includes free breakfasts at Hilton Garden Inns etc

DTWBOB

7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great points. Kimpton is now part of IHG but I think the programs aren't merged yet.

The card is good. Gives you Platinum status and a free night per year. What's good about the free night is it can be used at basically any IHG hotel where as cards like Marriott's can only be used for certain cat.s'. I use when I travel at IHG properties. There is an annual fee.

The 70k mile bonus could be worth 14 "points break" nights at cheap-o properties or 1 night at a really great property. Your choice. They also give you a rebate of 10% I think on redemptions so you might be able to stretch the 14 nights to 15.

satman40, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 70K IHG bonus points plus whatever you will get for the spending requirement to achieve the bonus could be very rewarding. Examples:

InterContinental Bangkok: goes for 35K points/night - usual rates around $200
    Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island: goes for 35K points/night - usual rates around $200
    InterContinental Hua Hin Resort: goes for 25K points/night - usual rates around $350

For more options on where to get your award nights, see the following search engine: http://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/reservation/rewardnights

There is another useful thread on the topic Best Use of IHG PC Points?

Thomask likes this.
  9. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I have had that card for a couple years. It does not cost much and we always use our annual free night at a nice IC somewhere in the world. While the IHG Platinum status is not worth much compared to HH G, MR G, Hyatt D, SPG P it will still show you more loyal to IHG then most other guests staying that night. 95% of the time I only use the card when I stay at IGH properties or when IHG Club Chase sends me an e-mail and offers me some bonus points if I use the card more.

satman40 and Kalboz like this.
  10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use it at home primarily for groceries as you get double points there. I don't have any other cards that offer that.

Kalboz likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have a UA Select card that gives 2X on groceries. But looking at my fleet of cards, I would pretty much prefer

1x UR points
    1x Amex MR points
    1x AA miles
    1x US miles
    1x SPG points

over 2x IHG points when I look at just the value of an individual point. There are of course other factors that might make someone want/need IHG points (e.g.m get closer to an award).

Kalboz likes this.
  12. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do redeem at IHG properties when the price is right, though, so the points do come in handy when the value is there. The Holiday Inn at Sydney Airport is 25,000 points or 15,000 points and $70. On my recent three night stay at that property, there was a huge convention in the city and many hotels, including IHG properties, were upwards of $250 or just sold out (the Holiday Inn Darling Harbour where I've stayed a couple times was sold out). At 15K and $70 I do find value there for the points.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    15,000 points is a ton (literally) of groceries for me. (Of course you can the same for a 10,000 UA award ticket I might get with my UA Select miles). Ultimately, thought, it all adds up, and different factors make different choices the right one for different people's needs (if that makes any sense).

14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chase Freedom offers X5 UL points per dollar for grocery store spending this quarter which can be transferred to Hyatt points or UA miles.

satman40 likes this.
  15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amex Everyday, no fee 2X at the grocery store, up to 6k spend.

Good at Costco also

Kalboz likes this.
  16. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt I put more than $1,000 a year on the card in groceries, so really not a big number in play. The bulk of the points in my IHG account come from actual IHG hotel stays. My 5 night stay in Lisbon last week brought in over 5,000 points before the credit card points, and I'm sure 95%+ of my activity on the credit card are from actual hotel stays, primarily in Europe where rates this time of year can be very attractive (my 7 nights in two cities last week were all at 49 euros).

HaveMilesWillTravel and Kalboz like this.
  17. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    kalboz, I just completed three nights at the IC BKK for 3500THB PN which is around $110 US

Kalboz likes this.
  18. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Care to PM me the code you used? ;)

19. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's sad to see that I can't get the credit card because I'm not based in the US :(

My only way to get Plat status would be to buy dinning rewards.

Kalboz likes this.
  20. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well... if there's any consolation (I am not US based either), buying into the Dining Rewards program usually comes with a 1 night stay.

Kalboz likes this.
  21. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just finally got it at the beginning of the year. After 3 years as an RA, I decided it would be worth using it during my stays for the additional points.

Kalboz likes this.
  22. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes I will. Give me a day or so.

Kalboz likes this.
  23. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I heard about that, but there is no dining rewards for Europe, only some countries in the AP region.

Kalboz likes this.
  24. daniel caplette

daniel caplette Member

Status Points:
    Once you spend the $1000.00, how long for the points to post?

Kalboz likes this.
  25. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Typically on your next statement date approximately in my experience. YMMV however.

Kalboz likes this.