IHG Best Rate Guarantee ... will this fly?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by PointyWings, Dec 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. PointyWings

PointyWings Silver Member

Status Points:
    IHG requires that you book the lowest rate for a BRG. What happens when a hotel posts a lower (advance purchase) rate for a "1 King Bed Room" with a higher rate for "Two Queen Beds"; the competing site's lowest rate (for 2 Queen Beds ) is lower than the IHG-2 Bed Rate but higher than the IHG-1King Bed rate? Will the lower rate on the competing site be accepted or is IHG likely to quibble because I did not book the lowest rate on their site? How can I be forced to book the 1 King Bed option, when my roommate may like his/her own bed?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/ihg/rewards/us/en/customer-care/lowest-internet-rate-terms-conditions
    Seems to me that they would honor based on the specific bed type you've selected, not force you to the other type. That said, I don't trust them enough to risk it on a non-refundable rooms.

GoodBoy likes this.
  3. WA, what is your direct experience with that policy?

4. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would not bother at all...tried so many times and never got a positive response.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have successfully claimed several IHG best rate guarantees. I do not recall if there were other bed types which were cheaper for the same level of room when I made those bookings but I know there were cheaper rooms so it doesn't have to be the absolute cheapest room in the building to make the claim.

What is your direct experience?

6. PointyWings

Status Points:
    That is EXACTLY my problem too - I just cannot trust them (and specifically their Philippines call centre) to do the right thing! The problem is that non-refundable rooms are very hard to match, since most OTAs understandably have stricter cancellation policies than the hotels themselves.

7. How many is several?
    I just got a free night and have had two others under the BRG. I am a RA and stay over 60 nights a year in their properties and don't particularly look to beat the BRG like some do as a travel pattern which eventually kills these programs.

As rosalia and others state it is a very exasperating experience to get agreement on BRG.

GoodBoy likes this.
  8. PointyWings

Status Points:
    What irks me most is the fact that the hotels (most chains, not only IHG) put up a big song and dance claiming they offer the "best" rates, when they know fully well that is not true and many other channels have lower prices. Then they force you to pay the higher rates by excluding loyalty point earnings when you book through other channels. This hypocrisy is what I find difficult to accept. Just like the lies when you hear on the phone "due to extremely high call volumes, you will have to wait" or some variation thereof.

GoodBoy likes this.
  9. you are partially correct. Other sales "channels" include "sell off" rooms that are given to wholesllers such as Hotels.com,etc. To equate these with a BRG is wrong as the conditions of sale for rooms like that vary dramatically from a normal reservation. Airlines do the same thing. Almost all of them sell seats to wholesellers at massivve discounts whe thye know the seats won't sell in the traditional market.
    Of course hotels and airlines amke mistakes because of the wide range of rates and fares thye produce themselves. I say its buyer beware just like any other transaction. I think its a waste of time to scour websites looking to beat a retail rate and then claim a BRG. I certainly don't have that kind of time and mine is worth more than that in any event.

GoodBoy likes this.
  10. PointyWings

Status Points:
    Sir, I do not mean to stir up an argument and this will be my last post on the subject - may I ask two questions:

1. If hotels release "sell off" rooms to other channels such as wholesalers, why not make them available to their loyal frequent guests and give them the appropriate points/miles etc?
    2. If it is not worth your time to scour websites to beat a rate (and I understand that), how do you justify spending time on Milepoint?

11. 1. That would dilute their primary sales channels and bring lower revenues. Sell offs are an industry standard. Typically the regular customer is not buying in any event which is why they have the surplus rooms/seats available. Mass wholesellers typically have a different market channel who don't buy on loyalty.
    2. I can afford not to worry about $20 every time I need a room. MP is a social outlet.

GoodBoy and skyvan like this.
  12. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My success rate for BRG claims is 50% (failed two Hilton ones), and my total research time for all four was under 1 hour. Considering I'm saving a total of $350 so far, I'd consider that a pretty good deal. One of those was an IHG match to AAVacations and the other was a Kimpton match to olotels.com. For IHG and Kimpton, I've read the T&C and only applied because I knew it would be accepted. After my Hilton failures I decided no longer to waste time with Hilton BRG.
    The BRG can be pretty lucrative and not too time consuming if you go about it in the right way.

GoodBoy likes this.
  13. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use it once, got it with one phone call (two, the second one was a confirmation). I found a discounted room on Hotels.com, then booked the same room on PCR website and called BRG direct line within half an hour. The room you find elsewhere and cancellation policy have to be EXACTLY the same as your IHG booked one. The price has to differ by at least 1% or $1. You can do it only once a month.

GoodBoy and Rosalia like this.
  14. PointyWings

Status Points:
    Is it once per month for a specific hotel or for all IHG properties? For instance, may I make a claim for HI Rome today (for a stay in Feb 2013) and then tomorrow for another one at IC Paris (for a stay also in Feb 2013)?

GoodBoy likes this.
  15. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just ONCE per month...If you get one, it is already the best performance !!!!!!

GoodBoy likes this.
  16. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope you can file as many claims as you'd like as long as the you do it every other day, or 2 days in a row with 50 miles between 2 hotels.

So far I have got over 25 BRGs and I have saved thousands of $.

GoodBoy and Wandering Aramean like this.
  17. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nacho, you must be kidding;.. it is normally only One per month...25? Please confirm that you are joking!!!!

GoodBoy likes this.
  18. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    check the T&C! The restriction was lifted back in Aug. I posted a post here at MP about this.

Remember check the latest T&C before filing a claim!

I know someone got 47 BRG nights and 25 is nothing compared to that. I'll need to work on some more for my upcoming trip.

GoodBoy and Wandering Aramean like this.
  19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nope...I have two on consecutive nights next weekend, more than 50 miles apart.

The rules changed and this one is pretty nice IMO.

GoodBoy likes this.
  20. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and I saw someone posted in another forum about some rumour that the T&C is going to be changed in 2 weeks time, mostly restricting to 1 room per household per night.

GoodBoy likes this.
  21. My sense of this scam being used by many to get free nights is that ICHG will be managing their agencies much better in the immediate future and tightening up the program. They won't drop the BRG but you can rest assured they will cut down on the availability to do this.

GoodBoy likes this.
  22. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    What 'scam' are you talking about? IHG is offering it for free and what's wrong in using what it's given? Have you read their Terms and Conditions for their Best Price Guarantee? Please go to their page and have a look. I don't recall anywhere saying anything about 'scam'.

The final goal for IHG is to make sure that no site is selling any IHG hotel room at a lower rate. It's gotten harder to score a free night than say 6 months ago. IHG is using BRG to help them to find out where the third party sites are - thus you get a free night if you can help them to locate one. This is basically like any other BRG programmes out there but the only difference is that IHG decides to do it this way.

GoodBoy likes this.
  23. I didn't realize you were providing a service to ICHG:rolleyes:

GoodBoy likes this.
  24. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since when this has become a "scam" to play strictly by the rules outlined in any given mile/point program? By your logic anyone using Best Available Rate or AAA rate are also scammers because they choose to pay a discounted price. The goal of any service program is to legally charge a consumer as much as they can, and the goal of the consumer to legally pay as little as they can. I'm not a service provider so I choose the second option.

GoodBoy likes this.
  25. Should I save this for the rant that will come when they shut down the program for abuse by the few. That' what typically happens.

GoodBoy likes this.