IHG and Barclay Arrival Plus Fees Coming Up Soon...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by nonstopski, Sep 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am thinking of keeping the Barclay as I like the benefits of the card (2% back on everything is nice, and the travel redemption on points is really nice). I also like having it and the CSP because that gives me all the silly but fancy benefits of Visa Signature and Mastercard World Elite..

Is there any way to avoid the fees on either one of these cards and keep the benefits? I'd honestly be fine canceling the IHG or losing the benefits for a no fee card. Mostly did it for the bonus.

2. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's always a way to avoid the fee; just call and ask.

In my case, both cards are "keepers":
    • The Arrival is just too good
    • The IHG's annual free night certificate FAR outweighs the tiny annual fee.

nonstopski likes this.
  3. FlyingExplorer

FlyingExplorer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Barclay's is said to routinely waive the Arrival' AF.

IHG? $49 to stay at any IHG hotel valid for 1 year seems like a great keeper to me.

Not sure the CSP is worth its AF.

satman40 and nonstopski like this.
  4. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    nonstopski likes this.
  5. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use the CSP For dining though all the time. That's a pretty good chunk of my budget as a 25 year old in a city.

I guess I should read that whole thread though and get a better idea!

6. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There's your problem. Get the old version of the AMEX Blue Cash, buy some groceries, and ditch the CSP. :)

nonstopski likes this.
  7. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh I buy groceries too. I just also go to bars and restaurants.... Seems the Amex Blue Cash is good for groceries, as you said, but not dining?

Edit: Err, guess I could get the normal Sapphire and still get the 2 points on dining. Would still want UR access, so I do have the Bold now, but don't really use it for the 5% in office supply stores, utilities, etc.

8. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That sounds like a good plan to me.

Downgrade CSP to CS.
    Keep the Ink Bold for the ability to transfer points (and the *option* to earn 5x whether or not you choose to do so)
    Note that the Ink Bold also gives you a couple of Lounge Club visits per year, and a few other things I can't remember right now.

Sure, the metal-core CSP is pimp ... but just get yourself the Ritz-Carlton card instead. ;-)

satman40 and nonstopski like this.
  9. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea, yea i do love the CSP feel. But once my first one peeled, the appeal was lost on me (I saw what was behind the scenes :D).

Also, I already paid the CSP fee for this year. So, I might as well wait until it renews next year to call.

Agreed on IHG. I haven't gotten my first night yet, but should here in the next month. Which does make it worth it. Plus, the points are pretty darn easy to gain with this thing. I probably should keep it in my wallet more often, but I like a slim wallet. That Coin kickstarter needs to freakin finish already...

Yea the Bold does give the lounge club visits, even though that list is super limited in the states! Could still cancel the bold eventually, because by then ill probably have the Ink Plus (if the bonuses on that stay high!).

satman40 likes this.
  10. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Meh, ... Plus/Bold ... whichever. For someone who always pays the bill in full, they're identical.
    How long ago did you pay the CSP? If it's in the last month or so, you should still be able to call.

Yeah, the IHG free nights rock: Used mine at the IC Berchtesgaden this year. :)

As for using the IHG card for a points-earner ... maybe, but ONLY when spending at IHG properties.
    Weigh the 5x IHG you get there against the 5x UR you can get with the Ink Bold ... which then transfers to IHG.

nonstopski likes this.
  11. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    All makes sense. I paid the fee on CSP in May. So, oh well. I think I paid myself back for the fee (not the best use of points, but I still did it).

Any tips on possibly getting the Barclay Fee waived? I definitely want to keep this card...

satman40 likes this.
  12. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Me, I don't bother. I think what I get from them is worth $89 and they've always treated me well. (Even when the card REFUSED to allow itself to be used as Chip&PIN this June.)

However, I believe the basic strategy is:
    1. Pick up the phone.
    2. Dial the number on the back of the card.
    3. etc. ;-)

satman40 likes this.
  13. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ha, yes, I've done it a few times now with other cards, but just saying " i want to cancel" and then they actually go through the cancellation process - cant let that happen. Either way, I'll just call and pretend to cancel and then if they dont offer to waive it ill just "be talked into keeping it" - even with the fee.

I guess it's more of a question of the "pretend to cancel" strategy vs. just saying "would you be willing to waive the fee?"

satman40 likes this.
  14. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    New question: with Chase's (newish?) 24 month rule on cards, if i downgrade to a CS from the CSP... in 2 years could I apply for the CSP again and get the minimum spend bonus?

satman40 likes this.
  15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the AF does not justify the fee forget it,
    If the perks are not worth the fee do not even apply for the card.

Face it there are just too many cards out there to apply for, and the sign up perks is the only reason to apply.

In Retail,we call you guys CHERRY PICKERS...and you can always be counted on to increase our numbers,

Thank you for helping us, to serve you...